PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Pipe smoking! Big facial hair! Kurt Russell! Sam Jackson! Spaghetti Western! Four months away, and I'm already loving this movie!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnRbXn4-Yis&feature=youtube_gdata_player

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Thanks for the heads up, CE. I wasn't aware of this movie coming out at the end of the yr. I thought Django Unchained by Tarantino was pretty good so I'll look forward to seeing this one as well.
"One of them fellas, is not what he says he is."
I already like that tag line! Been there!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I used to really enjoy Tarantino films, but have found the increasing sadism in his work to be just too much for me. I walked out of Kill Bill Volume 1 and haven't had the stomach to go back to the Tarantino well since. I am not sure why gratuitous violence at this level gets to me, but it just isn't my thing.
Everything about this movie is interesting to me, but his penchant for over the top visceral violence leaves me asking whether I'll be able to enjoy this movie. Fortunately, there are plenty of westerns out there that will satisfy my appetite for the genre.
I think I'll wait until the reviews are in before I take the trip to the theatre for Hateful Eight.
-- Pat

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Pat,
I didn't see the "Kill Bill" franchise so can't speak to that and I thought the big shoot out scene at the end of "Django Unchained" was overdone to the point of being corny and certainly unrealistic. But as a Westerns fan I took it as Tarantino's homage to some of Sam Peckinpah's Classic Western movies and in particular "The Wild Bunch". Don't know if you ever saw "The Wild Bunch" or not but the shoot out scenes were not considered to be corny back then. At the time those scenes may have actually taught a lesson in morality to a young impressionable mind (me).
Having said all that I realize society and what it will tolerate has changed a bunch since then.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey don't get me wrong, I can handle big ol' gunfights, kung-fu action sequences the occasional beheading, and people being run through with big pieces of metal as much as the next guy... Where I draw the line is when a writer or director (or both) uses violence until it becomes masturbatory and/or gratuitous.
But as a Westerns fan I took it as Tarantino's homage to some of Sam Peckinpah's Classic Western movies and in particular "The Wild Bunch"
I can't speak to Django, because as I said my trust that Tarantino hasn't changed his motif and plot devices means that I'm likely to be unhappy with elements of the film. But as I understand it, that's exactly what Django was supposed to be.
I have no problems with High Noon, or The Wild Bunch. For my money, my favourite films in the genre are, still, Appaloosa, Silverado, and Rio Lobo.
Anyway, y'all tell me what you think of Hateful Eight, and I'll just hope that it's something I can handle.
-- Pat

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Where I draw the line is when a writer or director (or both) uses violence until it becomes masturbatory and/or gratuitous.
This.
I'm a little on the fence about Tarantino. The story's are great and I enjoy the pacing of the movies but some times they are just too immersion breaking with their hyperbole of violence. I'm not anti-violence in movies (though it is concerning how predominant it is) and have thought it warranted even when used in excess in movies like Drive(2011) where the sudden violent outbursts are precipitated by this eerie stillness. It's intentional and used to punctuate the narrative - not provide the foundation for it.
I'm also over Samuel L Jackson and his obligatory lampooning bad-ass-with-crazy-eyes rolls in movies.
That said, I love me a good western so I'll probably still watch it even if it is an exaggerated caricature of what could be a good movie if the director only demonstrated a little restraint.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Helluva cast! Partial list:
Channing Tatum ... (rumored)

Samuel L. Jackson

Kurt Russell

Walton Goggins

Jennifer Jason Leigh

Tim Roth

Zoë Bell

Michael Madsen

Demian Bichir

Bruce Dern

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Where I draw the line is when a writer or director (or both) uses violence until it becomes masturbatory and/or gratuitous.

+1
This.
I'm a little on the fence about Tarantino

+1
Resovoir Dogs was the blast that put him on the stage. Pulp fiction was the genius that ensured him a place in film history. Everything after just seems a bit contrived. Not bad, just not magic.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I find it interesting that people have an issue with the over the top violence in newer Tarantino movie's, yet did not have a problem with the violence in Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction...
In my world, Quinton can do no wrong. I love everything he has released. But I find all of his work, from True Romance (script sold to fund Reservoir Dogs) to Django, to be very violent, almost for the sake of being violent. I fully understand that gratuitous violence is not everyone's cup of tea, but I am shocked that some people a can stomach Pulp Fiction (think the spider and the fly scene), but not Kill Bill's cartoon like blood (sorry Pruss, not trying to call you out).
Back on topic, I cannot wait for Hateful Eight to be released. As usual, I will be there to watch it the day it hits theaters!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
In my world, Quinton can do no wrong. I love everything he has released. But I find all of his work, from True Romance (script sold to fund Reservoir Dogs) to Django, to be very violent, almost for the sake of being violent. I fully understand that gratuitous violence is not everyone's cup of tea, but I am shocked that some people a can stomach Pulp Fiction (think the spider and the fly scene), but not Kill Bill's cartoon like blood (sorry Pruss, not trying to call you out).
Hey Neil, it's cool, we're all entitled to our own opinions.
I've asked similar questions myself. I was challenged by, and unhappy with, the violence in True Romance and shocked/struck by the violence in both Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. I was also in my teens when I watched those three movies and was, perhaps, a little more inured to this kind of violence then versus where I am in life now. Either that, or using extreme violence for shock value was still something that Tarantino was discovering in those earlier films, where as now it has become trope.
For me, the difference lies in how violence is used as a vehicle for story telling. The part of Kill Bill Vol. 1 which I struggled with was the psychological violence imprinted on Lucy Liu's character and the extreme on-screen violence required to tell that part of the story. It was, I thought, unnecessary.
I think that Tarantino employs violence in a sadistic way and that this has become part of his hallmark, something which I don't need and now avoid. I'll watch Shaun of the Dead and laugh out loud throughout the movie, because there the violence is a lampoon. But when violence takes itself seriously and is used to evoke/derive pleasure then I take umbrage.
Back on topic, I hope that Hateful Eight marks a maturing of Tarantino as auteur and that he uses the wonderful cast he's brought together and allows them to deliver his sentiment through their incredible capacity.
-- Pat

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Can't beat The Wild Bunch, High Noon & Shane.

Sure ya can... Unforgiven, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Magnificent Seven, Outlaw Josey Wales, Lonesome Dove, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, The shootist, The good The bad and The ugly, The man who shot Liberty Valance, True Grit, Django... good lord I can go one :lol: Just understand Im a huge Western fan.
So with that said... Im super excited for this movie... th other thing I'm really liking is that Encio Mericone is doing the score. :clap:

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
All damn fine films captainprophesy. (although I was never the fan of the Lonesome Dove production that many were.)
For me, the best Western ever ever will always be The Searchers. I understand that, as truly great as the film was, though, it's not paced to please everyone.
As for this one: Pipe smoking. Gun play. Panavision, Satgecoach chases. What's not to like.
I confess I don't WANT to like QT's movies, becuase I find almost fatally insufferable. But Inglorious Basterds and Django were just entertaining as hell, and no denying it. And I'm generally speaking a fan of Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and Reservoir Dogs. The kill Bill movies did nothing for me (OK, truth -- i never watched the second one and couldn't make it through the first one). Haven't seen anythign else he directed (Sin City, Grindhouse, Death Proof)

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Pat,
I liked "Appaloosa" also but I had read the book & a couple of the other books in the series before the movie came out. But I was disappointed in the casting for the part of Allison French. If you haven't read them you will enjoy the continuing saga in reading "Resolution", "Brimstone" & "Blue-Eyed Devil" although I enjoyed Blue-Eyed Devil the least. I have not yet read "Ironhorse", "Bull River" or "The Bridge" but intend to.
And there is "Gunman's Rhapsody" which is Robert B. Parker's first western but different characters.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
My favorite western is Once Upon a Time in the West by Sergio Leone. It has Henry Fonda, Charles Bronson and Jason Robards all putting in remarkable performances, as well as Claudia Cardinale's beautiful figure all encompassed under Leone's direction, well that's about as good as movies get! As for Quentin Tarantino, I really liked Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill 1&2 and I think Jackie Brown doesn't get enough respect as it's actually some of his finest work. The rest of his films have been very good to watch once, but they seem to fade into one trick ponies that rely too much on shock violence than script for my taste. Just my 2 cents.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Had not even heard of this one yet ... thanks!
The panavision format with that countryside should make for some great cinematography.

Status
Not open for further replies.