The Happiness Quotient for Smoking is 70%!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I saw the news on this when it was discovered in an FDA report a while back and was intrigued that some inquisitive soul had entered a bit of philosophy and anthropology into the usual drum of statistical calculation. Imagine that. This goes well beyond the smoking discussion to all kinds of judgements made in the public good that looks at only one narrow aspect of any given issue, to the purposes of the current popular thinking, without wading into the vast rest of the thinking on any given subject. It is likely a fluke, a wild and whimsical fluke, but we all need to pay attention and see if we can't summon similar unconventional clear-headedness into the public discourse from all sides. We can amaze ourselves every day.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
My happiness quotient when smoking my pipe is 90% - depending on the weather.

Jun 4, 2014
Give me a pipe and a comfy chair to sit in while I quietly contemplat, and my happiness quotient is about 100%.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hah! Perhaps the 70% is the average HQ for all pipe smokers! The ones who really enjoy it bring the average up from those who've just swallowed a gurgle or had their tongue bitten off.... :) So, the average on this forum is probably way over 90%.....

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Give me my pipe, a beer, and a shot when my back is killin me. It helps tame the beast that haunts me...

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
"In plain English, the FDA estimated a smoker would lose 70 percent of his or her happiness by giving up tobacco in any of its forms. This gave the anti-smoking crowd apoplexy."
You're missing reading this......It's not that pipe smokers are 70% happy but take our pipes away and we lose 70% of our total happiness as in all life encompassing aspects.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
You're missing reading this......It's not that pipe smokers are 70% happy but take our pipes away and we lose 70% of our total happiness as in all life encompassing aspects.
Meh. I enjoy smoking, but it's definitely not 70% of my happiness. I don't think that's true of even the most die hard smokers among us.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
To me it's pretty unclear what yardstick the FDA purports (if they even purport!) to use with that 70%.... Of what?
Measured against what? Now, take away yoghurt, and am I unhappy? Yes, but compared to what— is it 3%? Take away bacon, and I am real unhappy—maybe 20%, same with espresso beans, gelato, and the list can go on ad nauseum.
So I certainly agree with The Captain, although if called to testify at a hearing on the subject, I can get close to 50%! :!:

Status
Not open for further replies.