PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Im having a bowl in my 1908 Gourd Calabash. A relic gifted to me which I consider one of my "Special" pipes. Thse guys sure do provide ample clouds of smoke and a coolness beyond compare I think.
Calabash.jpg

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
You're right about the coolness. I like to smoke Penzance in mine, as well as other strong tobaccos. It mellows them somewhat, yet retains the flavor.

thesmokingtexan

Can't Leave
Jul 11, 2014
Those are awesome I need to get one. What is a good brand or is it best to find an older one? What should I look for when purchasing one to make sure I get a good one?

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Honestly, I don't know. I saw 2 of them at the Epitome in Biloxi, MS, the other day. Hefty price tags! I do not think they are being made anymore. I bought mine in the 1980's, it is a Pioneer, and the composite meerschaum bowl is cracked. I want to have a new bowl made through the Meerschaum Store.

schaum

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2014
Probably my favorite pipe. Dry, cool and neutral. Expensive but you only live once.
webpagecalno1a.jpg

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
What should I look for when purchasing one to make sure I get a good one?
Look for a real gourd body and a real meerschaum bowl. A lot of the newer ones have a wood body, some have ceramic bowls. Make sure the shank attaches the stem firmly to the gourd, usually by a silver band or army mount. Look out for loose fitting meerschaum bowls that can fall out of the gourd and break (been there, done that). Butz Choquin makes some nice long stemmed calabashes, but they cost about 250.00. You should be able to find a nice smoke-able antique calabash for less if you keep your eyes open.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Here's mine. I love it, great smoker. That and I scored it for $40, just needed a little bit of cleaning and buffing. The stem was oxidized and dirty.
after-side-600x450.jpg

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
For anyone who wants a real gourd calabash, there seems to be one for sale right now at Smoker's Haven, unsmoked Pioneer, with stand, for a decent price.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Fikri Baki makes pipes with real gourd bodies and block meerschaum. They are rather expensive but well worth the price. The pipe on the right is a Strambach, made in Austria. It has a gourd body, but a press meerschaum bowl. It'll never color like a block will, but smokes great. Pipe on the left is a Baki...

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Here's a request for some help. My calabash has developed an air leak around the cork gasket so that when I try and draw, air seeps in between the gourd and the meerschaum bowl. Any suggestions on how to deal with this?

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I am a lover of these pipes! They look awesome! I bought one a while back but it doesn't want to smoke for me, not sealed properly so too much air flowing through in the wrong spots. It's a nice piece to look at though!!

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I have only one other Calabash Pipe which Ive made myself. Since I decided its finished Im going to show its pick here. It took me about 2 months working off and on. It smokes pretty good. My favorite part it the button which with the lightness of the pipe overall its easy to hold when I dont have my dentures in. The process was documented at Calabash Pipe Project if anyone is interested.
Final.jpg

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Nice calabashes, everyone. Great work on that self-made 'bash, Hawke!
I took these photos of my Strambach when someone asked about 'bashes construction and parts:
JkmOiWz.jpg

e9XOP5r.jpg

EaL9wA9.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.