Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

The Godfather I & II

(48 posts)
  1. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yesterday afternoon HBO released the latest re-cut of Godfather I and Godfather II set in chronological order with many, many deleted scenes restored.

I still consider the first two stand alone films as two of the best movies ever created. But, this latest version, is pretty damned spectacular in it's own right.

Certain characters are developed, plot lines are enhanced and the legend just digs a bit deeper. At 7 hours and 16 minutes it was two day event but certainly well worth the time invested.

Fnord

It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says - like dumb - I'm smart and I want respect!
    Fredo Corleone
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. danielplainview

dave g

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They corrected the timeline? I've always wanted to edit them so the origins of Vito Andolini were shown from the start. They need to add subtitles to the restaurant scene as well.

Make aromatics great again.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

cfreud

Login to Send PM

That was fun, and I liked the added scenes. At the same time, it felt disjointed because I'm used to Parts 1 & 2. Nice way to spend an evening ... with several pipes.

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. crazypipe

Teddy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Godfather 1 & 2 are great gangster flix, they don't compare to the originals though. Scarface, Little Caesar, Public Enemy...the big three. Greatest films ever made, make the godfather look like a soap opera. But Godfather's great don't get me wrong, it just doesn't compare to the originals. If you like the godfather, you might like the Edward. G. Robinson movie House of Strangers. It's about an italian family where EGR is the head of the family and he runs a bank lending money. There is a scene where people are coming into his office asking for loans, it's very reminiscent of the Godfather scene. I think a lot of the Godfather is inspired by this movie. You can probably see it on TV it's on a lot and i think it's on free on demand if you have FX movie channel or whatever it is

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Godfather 1 & 2 are great gangster flix, they don't compare to the originals though. Scarface, Little Caesar, Public Enemy

Well....everyone is entitled to their own IMO...and mine is that the above are hard to watch. Hard to suspend disbelief when the acting is on par with a bad high school theatrical production which is endemic of movies made in the 30's. Perhaps these are easier on the eyes if one lived through the age.

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Hm..have you seen all three? For me it's hard to suspend disbelief once music starts playing to suggest what you emotion you should be feeling. There's no score in real life, and that's why those three are far more believable then the 70's movies. Cagney, Muni & Robinson's acting "on par with a bad high school theatrical production"? I guess you haven't seen them

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have in fact, that was why I made that comment.

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Well then i'd like to see some of the bad high school plays you've been watching. Marlon Brando get's his voice in the godfather straight from James Cagney in Winner Take All. I don't see how you could possibly call those three bad actors. Al Pacino certainly didn't feel that way as those guys are his favorites. I'm sure you've seen Pacino's scarface which is basically a spoof on the original and he copies the whole character straight from Muni, just not as good as Paul Muni's Tony Camonte since Pacino could;t touch Muni's acting in that movie with a mile long pole. It's just hysterical that you think those guys are bad actors haha

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. indianafrank

indianafrank

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Godfather for me was one of my top 3 movies. Of course I'm biased. Being Italian and growing up right after that era the movie was portrayed, it brought back memories. The wedding scene? There wasn't an Italian wedding that I went to that was not as close to what was shown in that movie. Including my own wedding!

The song "La luna 'mezzo mare" my family used to sing all the time. Each time they sang it they would change the words.

That movie was as close to portraying an Italian family living in America as I have seen. My grandfather was still alive when he watched the movie for the first time, and I remember him crying when the Ellis Island scene was shown.

To this day, many of my paisans, and I get together once a year to eat, drink vino, and watch the Godfather.

I don't know where I'm going...but sooner or later I'll get there.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  11. indianafrank

indianafrank

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That movie was as close to portraying an Italian family living in America as I have seen.

BTW, before I get smacked, when I wrote the above statement I was not suggesting that every Italian family also lived the lives of the mafia.

Firget'a bout it!!!

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Gidfather Epic( time lines are re done) has been around for over 30 years. I rented it a few times in the 80'. This new version is something I am loolong forward to watching. I need to DVR it.

Harris
    Posted 3 years ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well then i'd like to see some of the bad high school plays you've been watching. Marlon Brando get's his voice in the godfather straight from James Cagney in Winner Take All. I don't see how you could possibly call those three bad actors.

They weren't bad actors, it's just that acting was bad in their time and these three films, particularly, translate poorly relative to films that came later in a similar genre such as the Maltese Falcon.

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Well bigpond everyone is entitled to their own opinion..even when those opinions are wrong ha ha. I love Maltese falcon, it's a great movie but doesn't compare to the big three. Bogart is a great actor...but he is a hack compared to Cagney,Muni and EGR. I really don't see some huge advancement or giant cinematic strides between 1931 and 1941. If anything, cinema degenerated a bit by 1940, a lot of the rawness was lost and the films become more gooey with some dottle. Maybe you should rewatch those films, I think you are buying into the myth.

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. skraps

skrapsoftobacco

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As Frank said, though not all of us from Italian backgrounds were Mafia, this trilogy for me was more about the heritage. Brought back memories, even though the setting was way before my time. Much of the tradition that is seen in the movie was still strongly adhered to in my family growing up.

Loved all 3, and have the box set. Very interested to see the updated versions with new scenes.

"People are not made better by a briar. An idiot before smoking a pipe is still an idiot after smoking a pipe, they're just more likely to speak less drivel with something in their mouth. For that, all society should be grateful."

- Bob Runowski
    Posted 3 years ago #
  16. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OK, now someone is shitting on Bogey, the greatest actor and cinematic icon of the 20th century. I just can't abide that smack talk. We may have to step outside and settle this.

The only one of those three names that should be uttered in the same great as Bogey is EGR -- the other two are almost forgotten and will soon be mere footnotes in the history of cinema.

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cfreud: Thank you for an intelligent comment.

Teddy: Thank you for a whimsical riff on a classic U.S. film poster that has become iconic.

IndianaFrank & Skrapsoftobacco: Loved your comments about growing Italian-American and saw many of those same activities in family restaurants throughout SE Kansas. To this day, thirty years later, they remain joyous memories. I envy you both.

Harris: I promise. You're going to see scenes you've never seen before. God's truth.

WTH, Bigpond and Scarface? Go start your own thread. Cinema, like any art form, matures. Misters Bogart, Cagney and Robinson were forces of nature who chewed up miles of film stock. Those cats were trailblazers.

And what would a cultural thread be without our resident Canadian Perry Mason threatening to whip somebody's ass in the parking lot? (BTW, Counselor, if you haven't seen i, Orson Welles directed EGR brilliantly in "The Stranger." It's really a piece of work.)

Fnord

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

WTH, Bigpond and Scarface? Go start your own thread. Cinema, like any art form, matures. Misters Bogart, Cagney and Robinson were forces of nature who chewed up miles of film stock. Those cats were trailblazers.

LOL! We did... this is it.

Peck said:

OK, now someone is shitting on Bogey, the greatest actor and cinematic icon of the 20th century. I just can't abide that smack talk. We may have to step outside and settle this.

Couldn't agree more.

Scar said:

Well bigpond everyone is entitled to their own opinion..even when those opinions are wrong ha ha.

We're of one mind!

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

The only one of those three names that should be uttered in the same great as Bogey is EGR -- the other two are almost forgotten and will soon be mere footnotes in the history of cinema.

I guess you haven't seen any of the films where Bogie is up against EGR, Cagney or Raft and I don't mean Key Largo. Bullets or Ballots, Roaring Twenties, Angels, Invisible Stripes, Kid Galahad, Dr. Clitterhouse, OKLAHOMA KID, They Drive by Night, Brother Orchid and watch Bogart steal the show....or not! He has nothing on Robinson or Cagney. Watch Crime School where Bogie redoes Cagney's role in Mayor of Hell and you can see how much of a stone dead bore Bogart really is compared to him. You think James Cagney is merely a footnote...that's literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Go watch less than zero

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cagney's performances have not aged well, and Muni is all but forgotten now. Bogey's films are still popular, but Cagney's, not so much.

As I said, EGR is a legend and I never commented on Raft, but I am a fan of his as well.

Posted 3 years ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I could;t disagree with you more, if anything Cagney makes all the actors nowadays look pathetic. They don't have half the magical spark he brings to the screen. EGR a legend but Cagney's performance poorly aged? I think you haven't seen to many cagney films my friend. Sure BOGIE may be popular, but so is Donald Trump, so if popularity is how you measure greatness, enjoy your Captain Black

Posted 3 years ago #
  22. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bogie, EGR, and the rest from that era are nothing compared to Brando. He is recognized as the greatest actor of the 20th century and it isn't even close.

I could have been a contender, enough said.

fnord, have it set to record the next time it shows, cannot wait.

Posted 3 years ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Anyone know any good late 60's early 70's mafia movies like Crazy Joe or Valachi Papers? Mafia with Franco Nero is pretty dope and Lucky Luciano 1973 two italian films

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. indianafrank

indianafrank

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

WOW, fnord started an interesting thread. I can sense tempers rising.

Perhaps everyone should sit down and have a meeting. Like they did with the five families. Then give a big hug and have a class of vino.

Posted 3 years ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Sit down or not...some goombahs are gonna get whacked

Posted 3 years ago #
  26. skraps

skrapsoftobacco

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The problem with Cagney, EGR is that they all seemed overly exaggerated. It's like they were still acting on stage where big movements and loud distinct speech was required so the guy in the nosebleeds could see you.

Brando was a dramatic master. It wasn't about screaming at the top of your lungs or using some corny, stereotypical accent, it was about evoking emotion in the audience. Brando did that in spades.

Posted 3 years ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Brando is the one who is famous for screaming Stella at the tops of his lungs and using a corny accents in the godfather and waterfront

Posted 3 years ago #
  28. skraps

skrapsoftobacco

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's not a corny accent in the Godfather... it's cotton balls.

Posted 3 years ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Brando's persona, the way he talks is lifted right from Cagney's boxer in Winner Take All 1932. Pretty sure Brando himself would laugh at you and tell you without a doubt no one will ever touch James Cagney the greatest actor of all time

Posted 3 years ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Actually I'm wrong, Brando's favorite actor was Paul Muni. But he's now just a long forgotten footnote to the cinema of robert downey jr

Posted 3 years ago #
  31. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Glad to learn that you have seen the light, scarface. The fact that your view has evolved to the correct one displays a great deal of maturity on your part. You are to be congratulated.

Posted 3 years ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

aaaaaaaahhh shut up

Posted 3 years ago #
  33. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Scarface and Big Pond:

Wow!

You guys totally dicked a really simple comment about a new version of a couple of American classics.

"LOL! We did... this is it. [:nana:] "

Yep, that's something to be proud of, Bigpond.

And, Scarface? You're no better.

"...enjoy your Captain Black."

You two gomers just fucked yourselves out of meeting and getting to know some of the kindest, most cordial, decent, giving and sharing friends you'd ever have the opportunity to meet on any forum.

Internet toughguys. So stupid. Can't see a quarter inch beyond their two inch Johnsons.

Full apologies to Kevin, Al, et al. (Couldn't let this one slide. I've enjoyed this forum for years.)

Cheers,

Fnord

Posted 3 years ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cooler heads prevail old boy. You seem to have linked my posts to Scarface's, might want to go back and reread what I wrote. I think you'll find I simply posted a different opinion, as did several others, and let it drop after Scarface revealed himself to be incapable of adult discussion. The thing about forums is you never know how a thread is going to go or when some will set it off track. Best not to take it personal when all goes wrong though.

Posted 3 years ago #
  35. skraps

skrapsoftobacco

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

...and let it drop after Scarface revealed himself to be incapable of adult discussion.

Amen to that.

When your exclamation point on every argument is to drop an insult, no point in furthering the conversation.

Posted 3 years ago #
  36. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nothing wrong with a good insult. Insults bounce off of me like water off a duck's ass.

We are all just having a little fun busting each other's balls. All in good fun.

Posted 3 years ago #
  37. kanaia

kanaia

Login to Send PM

I agree that GF I & II are great movies but I would have to put them 2 and 3 in my book followed by the best movies ever.
    The Outlaw Josey Wales..Even Brando doesn't hold a candle to Clint.

Posted 3 years ago #
  38. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

fnord, sorry to steer the direction away from the godfather. I just like to bring up the evolution of the gangster movie and the actors who laid the foundation. Can't stand for people shitting on Cagney and Muni though...no one not even brando holds a candle to these guys and Pacino, De Niro and Brando would all argue that point to the death

Posted 3 years ago #
  39. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There is only one true Godfather...and one true greatest actor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0MkJkenBI4

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 3 years ago #
  40. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Peck, just curious...what is it that makes EGR a legend but Cagney an actor whose performances have aged poorly? Did you pick this up from a critic somewhere or what is it that brought you to this conclusion?

Posted 3 years ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is still going?

Scarface...you've turned this thread into the pool scene from caddy shack.

Please see this thread for assistance.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/this-forum-needs-an-ignore-poster-feature

Posted 3 years ago #
  42. skraps

skrapsoftobacco

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Scarface...you've turned this thread into the pool scene from caddy shack.

Posted 3 years ago #
  43. daveinlax

daveinlax

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

RIP Abe Vigoda The Godfather's Sal Tessio I loved the Godfather movies and they've held up really well over the years. I've watched all the other gangster movies listed and The Godfather is the only picture I enjoy re watching every few years. I know production styles change but IMO with the older pictures the stars look they're preening stiffs reading cue cards and the Godfather just looks natural.

Posted 3 years ago #
  44. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Here is James Cagney's pipe smoking movie Time of your life: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRB1X87L8NQ
    hardly my favorite, but I don't see anything about Cags performance that makes him out of date. Frankly, acting is terrible nowadays. James Cagney actually acts like people do in real life. I think most of you trashing the old movies really haven't seen your fair share of them or you would realize you are completely off base.

And here's Cagney as a Pipe smoker in one of his first roles ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrmF7AJ8gxA

Posted 3 years ago #
  45. bungee

bungee

Login to Send PM

Great movies. Watched them a bunch of times over the years and would love to see this re-cut.

Having said that, I believe Once Upon a Time in America is way better.
    Script, actors, acting, historical setting, aesthetics. I think it surpasses The Godfather in every aspect.
    I never tire of it.

Cheers,

J

Posted 3 years ago #
  46. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Bungee, I think Once Upon Time in America could have been an incredible movie but I think Leone fucked it up. It has an amazing setting for an awesome gangster flick ala public enemy with De Niro and Forsythe two of the most gangster badass actors ever. James Wood kind of sucks in it, and it's a little to dreamy and washy. I think if it was real raw like good bad ugly it would've been so badass. I like the godfather better, but if Leone did America right it would be as good if not better than the godfather

Posted 3 years ago #
  47. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

48. perlasca

perlasca

Login to Send PM

They tried this before: The Godfather Saga.
    Which I remember as having deleted scenes and put in order better.

I really want to see this most up to date version.

I hope I don't ruin anything for anyone here, no really a spoiler.
    Now I haven't seen this new version as I said before, but Have caught some of the "Saga".

My favorite part, which were filmed a few different ways but, were deleted from the Original is when
    Michael gets his revenge on Fabrizio (Michael's Body Guard in Sicily, Traitor) who ran away as Appolonia,
    Michael's first wife gets killed in a car bomb meant for Michael.
    Well, one scene shows Michael entering a Pizza Parlor in Buffalo and murders Fabrizio or the other deleted scene
    showing Fabrizio closing up his Pizza place and starting his vehicle, which blows up.

I believe it's all in the Godfather books.
    According to the book "The Quiet Don" about Russell Bufalino, From my part of NorthEastern PA. It says Russ
    visited Brando on site and that's who Brando used for his character Vito.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tbradsim1, oldgeezersmoker, ebnash, cossackjack, jaytex969, cshubhra, georged, nhhiggy