PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
I received a package from one of our fellow forum members today, who shall remain unnamed, so that he take pleasure in his humble generosity, containing one tin each of:
Old Dark Fired

McClelland's 221B: Honeydew, and Dark Star

G&H's Bob's Chocolate Flake

Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake, and

Ratrray's Marlin Flake
In addition to those tins, there was an ample supply of G&H's Rum Flake in a baggie.
Gentlemen, the Rum Flake, Bob's Chocolate Flake, FVF, and Marlin Flake have reached seven years old. The ODF was sealed in 2012, and I'm not sure that McClelland dates their tins, but if they do, the numbers on the bottom of the tins are 23??05 (Honeydew), and 311204. I've never smoked Penzance (and after this tin, may never again), and the Honeydew sits near the top of my relatively short list of "must try's".
I'm smoking the Rum Flake now, and all I can really say is that I like it better than their Brown Flake (Unscented), which is the only other G&H tobacco I've had the privilege of smoking. Both of these tobaccos reveal some whiff of the Lakeland essence, to my tastes, but the Rum Flake seems fuller and sweeter. It's also seven years old lol :lol:.
Guys, I'm eternally grateful to the man who did this, of his own will, without my asking- purely out of the kindness of his heart; and, I want to express my deep appreciation for the rest of my fellow pipers. Thanks guys, may your pipes forever smoke cool and dry.
Jerod

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm actually smoking some 10 year old Dark Star right now. I don't know if I had an "off" tin in the past, but the flakes are *much* softer and easier to work with than I remember from my last tin (which was probably in 2004/2005). It's possible, I guess, that time has softened these. . . ? Although I'd have thought that time would have made them tougher.
Regardless, I found the flakes soft and pliable and very easily broken up. And the smoke. . . well, sweet and mellow, with hints of vanilla (at least for me). I do have to be in the mood for this one, since the stoving is pretty much as extreme as it gets and that makes this a different kind of straight VA flake.
I'm not sure how much the stoving affects the blend's ability to change with time. I wish my memory -- or my notes -- were better, so I could say how 10 years in the tin affected this one. But I honestly can't say that I notice any change at all in the flavor of this one. Doesn't mean change hasn't happened, just that I'm not able to quantify it. At the same time, it's possible that stoving removes everything that allows a VA to develop over time. . . meaning that this one might taste exactly the same 50 years from now!
Who knows? But I think it's pretty good right now. :) Should be a treat when you finally open this one!
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.