PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Over the weekend I decided I was going to tidy up my tobacco cellar, which consists of six overflowing trunks that I keep in my basement. I'm not sure what my overall objective was at the time. I toyed with the idea of reorganizing each trunk according to genre of pipe tobacco or maybe even by tin-style (square, round, cans, etc), but ultimately all I ended up doing was picking up a jar here and a tin there and admiring it. Do you ever do that? Sit and stare at your own stash? Anyways...
One of the jars that caught my eye was a long forgotten ball jar full of 8 ounces of C&D's Pirate Kake. I purchased this in February 2014, jarred it, and until this past weekend forgot all about it.
I had never smoked a bowl of Pirate Kake before, but I've heard and read plenty of praise for this blend. After familiarizing myself with all of the reviews I was expecting my first bowl to be a bit overwhelming since its touted as a latakia lover's dream and I typically don't like latakia heavy blends. Well, the first bowl was quite a surprise! After two years of sleep the latakia had mellowed quite a bit I found. The first 10-15 minutes or so was kind of underwhelming in a way due to having expected something much more in my face. The blend wasn't bland per se, but it was really mellow out the gate. As I progressed through the bowl it picked up in strength and the richness of the latakia and orientals made a favorable impression. The nic hit was moderate and throughout the entire bowl it was smooth and real pleasant.
I'm glad I discovered this forgotten jar of Pirate Kake when I did. I like heavier blends during the cold winter months and last night was a real treat sitting in my sun room staring at the snow on my deck and in the trees (central VA).
I'll probably wait until I polish off these 8 ounces before running out to purchase more, but so far so good with this forgotten pirate. My initial impression was a favorable one and left me wondering what it's like fresh from the bakery.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
See, if you would have smoked a few bowls before jarring it up you would know. I always sample bulk blends before stashing them away. That way I have something to compare them to when I dig them back out.
And yes, I spent a Saturday once, sidetracked and going through my hoard of tins and jars. Was much more exciting than logging into my tobaccoceller.com account and browsing my inventory.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Do you ever do that? Sit and stare at your own stash? Anyways...
Oh yeah. More that I'd care to admit. Um, no. I don't do that. :lol:
Unfortunately my stash is too small to forget about anything and feel that joy at once it's found.

Status
Not open for further replies.