PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
One would think that Germains only puts out two blends in the Esoterica line, whatsis and whosis. But in point of fact, the Esoterica line includes a whole lot of tobacco blends, some of them pretty tasty. A month ago I was gifted with about 4 OZ of Ramsgate, an aromatic that gets no mention here. It's a very enjoyable smoke, given a bit of time to dry out. The underlying tobaccos are good and the anise flavor from the licorice essence blends well with them.
So what are your favorites amongst the Esoterica common folk?

May 31, 2012
My faves are:
Hastings

Absolutely love this unique shaggy aro
Pembroke

Something special about it, I tend to favor the sweeter side on Lat blends and this one is excellent
Tilbury

An early fave, robust and nutty, shaggy cut makes it very easy to smoke
Dorchester

Another early fave and my very first VaPer, love it, wish tins were more available
Blackpool

If this had more body I'd adore it, as it is it's got a wonderful dark flavor and profile,

I like to throw some Wessex burley slices into the mix for added body

Ramsgate

Much like Blackpool except with a stronger topping, good stuff
Woodbridge

My least favorite of the jetblack hot pressed family, but it's better than Kingsbridge in my book
Peacehaven, Cardiff, Brighton, and Scarborough are too mild for my tastes.
Have a tin of Dunbar and Margate on standby,

yet to try them.
Never smoked:

St. Ives or ASTB
:puffy:

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Love Penzance, but still think it's overrated, don't care for Stonehaven, I really enjoy Margate, and I've tried Pembroke and that it was very good. I've got a tin of Tilbury and Dorchester I've yet to open.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Dunbar -- musty and nutty, with a nice Perique tang. For whatever reason, it always tastes great in older British pipes.

Dunbar, Peacehaven, and Scarborough are good enough for me to passively chase. Tillbury, not so much for me. There are tastier blends in this genre that I adore. Penzance and Stonehaven are givens. But, I haven't tried any of the others. But, Dunbar, Peacehaven, and Scarborough are about as difficult to get, IMO. But, that is determined only by my checking out the shelf of the B&M. I haven't even checked to see if they are available online. With an almost full cellar, I really only buy off the shelf these days.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I've got a two year old tin of Penzance I'd gladly swap for ASTB.
Most of the Esoterica lineup leaves me wanting.
Fnord

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
I have only smoked Margate and Peacehaven, enjoyed them both. Both times they just happened to be in stock when I was ordering something else from smokingpipes.com. I think they offer a good value in the 8oz bag, cheaper than a 8oz can of GL Pease.
I would love to buy/try more but only if convenient and not for inflated prices. Though not an Esoterica, Germain's Plumcake is one of my all time faves. Peacehaven tastes like the base they use for Plumcake to me.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Dorchester, Dunbar, and Tilbury are very good. I also like Kingsbridge and Peacehaven. But the first 3 are some of my favorites.
-PM sent to ya fnord!

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I love Tilburry. Wish it was easier to get. I have 2 unopened tins I was able to purchase at a totally normal price from a very generous friend and forum member- they are hanging in the cellar. I also have about 1 oz. in a jar as well.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
In our shop there were bulk jars of Ramsgate, Tilbury and Hastings that absolutely never recieved any love from the countless people gazing over he 60+ bulk jars on the shelves. The Esoterica label was right there with the other heavy hitters and some folks would sample a bowl from time to time but that was about it. One day a regular who had been on a pipe tobacco soul search bought the lot of it and that was it. We had 8 ounce bags of And So To Bed that I really had to sell people on before they finally went (a very nice blend) and I think we still have a bag or two of Blackpool. We get calls from all over the country almost weekly from those seeking out Penzance and Stonehaven and I love it when the caller might ask "well, can you call me when you get some in?" Sure I will.

Jesse is correct, the other step sisters to the stars in the Esoterica line up are 5 star in their own right and worth exploring. Plum Pudding is one that flys out the door when we get it.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
I haven't tried anything from the Esoterica stable but I believe I'd hit it off with Margate.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I like Brighton, a lemony, herbal, yeasty, and in a way, nutty smoke.

Not too much oomph to it, so I spike it with McClelland's blending Perique. Yum. :puffy:

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I like Tilbury, Dorchester and Dunbar. I haven't found anything in the Esoterica line that would put me in Raiders of the Lost Ark mode like some though. Most of the blends are nice, they are all high quality, but some just seem to suffer a lack of body.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I like Brighton, a lemony, herbal, yeasty, and in a way, nutty smoke.

Not too much oomph to it, so I spike it with McClelland's blending Perique. Yum.
I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,

as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
"Yeasty" that's a descriptor that I've long been searching for to articulate my take on many of the Esoterica blends.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
"Yeasty" that's a descriptor that I've long been searching for to articulate my take on many of the Esoterica blends.
Well, ya can't use it! I copyrighted it. :nana:
Seriously, Germain Royal Jersey Perique Mixture has the same yeasty© character. Maybe it's the water?

P

pipebuddy

I have only tried Stonehaven and Penzance so far, having a preference for the first.
I did buy some Blackpool, And So To Bed, Margate and Ramsgate. 8oz formats.
But I have not tried them yet.

I actually want to have other Esotericas. Margate, And So To Bed, Ramsgate such good blends. Somehow people tend to get stuck on Penzance and Stonehaven. Really all this hoarding and fanboying has actually put me off these blends. I would happily get the other Esoterica and leave the Penzance and Stonehaven for everyone else to enjoy and collect. Perhaps an ounce or so just to formulate on opinion on it and to write my impression on them, but thats it.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I keep Pembroke and Margate around all the time. Have a tin of "And So to Bed" that I haven't cracked yet, want to give it some age. I would like to try the others, hope to score some Ramsgate some day, lol.

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
Availability, even for these forgotten Esoterica blends, is spotty at best. I see them pop up from time to time, but only rarely. Where do you all find these blends for sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.