PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

str8musicman

Lurker
Sep 3, 2013
Los Angeles
For those who have seen the infomercial about the Food Saver- The vacuum sealing machine that saves you so much money on freezer burned steaks etc. I had a question on an alternate use:

Say you open up a tin of tobacco, then decide after a load or two it would have done you more good in the cellar; if you stuck the tobacco, tin and all, into one of those bags and vacuum it sealed, would it stop time, or even go back in time to before you stuck the coin under the lid?

For that matter wouldn't you even be able to put lose tobacco into one of those bags and accomplish the same?

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
That is a great idea, except I would suppose that even the heavy plastic is permeable, and it probably woudn't work for long term storage.

str8musicman

Lurker
Sep 3, 2013
Los Angeles
I guess a good experiment, as far a tin storage goes, would be to place a tin that's been opened into a bag and steal it. If the lid was on tight enough I wonder if you open up the bag and stuck a coin under the lid if you hear that hissing sound of air re inflating the tin, which happens to be one of my favorite sounds!

-Brian

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Roth is correct; no air, no aging. It might be a great way to preserve aromatic tobaccos that do not benefit from aging.

Caveat: If you can smell the tobacco through the plastic, you are losing flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.