PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pentangle

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
Carved this pipe about one year ago and i've smoked it few times (smokes great :wink: ).I really started to carve pipes 35 years ago.In that period i carved few pipes ,probably not more than 10,Then i stopped because a very limited time to spend.I restart carving pipes just one year ago because i finally got some time and the one i present has been the first .That has made using Tuscany briar and vulcanite stem,nowadays i use calabrian briar and lucite stems,both i actually prefer

Maurizio
dsc2876.jpg

dsc2877d.jpg

dsc2878o.jpg

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Pipe carving must simply be in your blood pentangle.
I agree OTD, I haven't seen a pipe yet that Pentagle has posted that I wouldn't love to have in my collection. I really believe he couldn't carve a bad pipe it he tried. I can only hope that one day I can own one of his wonderful creations.

pentangle

Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
"Have you pics of anything you carved 35 years ago?"
Sorry not.Pipes are gone to a friend of mine when i stopped to smoke pipe&cigarettes.That's happened about 30 years ago, but quickly i restarted both 8O

Maurizio

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Okay, now I am officially envious. :mrgreen:
You do super work, Maurizio. I hope your skills bring you great satisfaction.

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
That's awesome Pentangle! I want to have a go at carving so badly

pentangle

Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
" I hope your skills bring you great satisfaction."
Yes i do my friend.From yesterday morning to today i carved a bent volcano with bird eyes and cross grain.I have stained one first time then sanded.Stained and sanded again to extract the grain.At the same time i listened tunes of Hurriah heep,Black sabbath,Deep purple and Jimi hendrix.These have been very relaxing times :)

by the way will post the volcano next days

Maurizio

macnutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2011
Massively impressive. That is a real beauty. Knowing it's the first in many years says a lot.
When you started carving again, did you find that you had developed a different, better understanding of the carving, during the time you were not doing it??
I hope that made sense.

pentangle

Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
Well Mac even my job is another i spent more than 20 years on restoring old furnitures as i collect also antiques.All furnitures in my home have been restored by me,so i have enough acquaintance with the wood,the stain,wax,shellac etc etc.From seventies something has changed, like delrin tenons and lucite availability, but nothing special,also the tools needs to be made by yourself and it's relatively easy to do.I think few things are impossible if you like what you're going to do

Maurizio

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Do you have an outlet to sell what you make? I am always envious of people who can work well with their hands. I can't even sharpen a pencil without messing the job up!!! :rofl:

pentangle

Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
Selling my pipes is not in my mind at the moment for two reasons.Firstly i can't at the moment separate from them.Secondly my production estimated per year is from 50 to 100 pipes to small for lower the prices.But nothing is forever.......maybe one day

Maurizio

pentangle

Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
Hummmm :( Unfortunately i collect pipe too, from italian pipemakers to Dunhill, Charatan,Upshall,Ashton etc etc, collect Danish and German as well, so really i do not need new pipes,but i still buy and still carve until my wife decide to sell me directely 8O

Maurizio

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Selling my pipes is not in my mind at the moment for two reasons.Firstly i can't at the moment separate from them.Secondly my production estimated per year is from 50 to 100 pipes to small for lower the prices.But nothing is forever.......maybe one day

All we can do is hope I guess. If you do change your mind, I want to amongst the first to know about it. I also see we have similar taste in music. I have heard anyone mention Uriah Heep in a while, I love their music, and wore their Sweet Freedom album out.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I've said it before, I'll say it again--I'm always in awe of your briar and the way you release the beauty of the pipe from the block, Maurizio! :clap:

dmcc

Lurker
Nov 12, 2011
+1 to the consensus: Lovely pipe you've made there.

Lots of tasteful restraint on the form, and fine symmetry.
If you don't mind my asking, how did you manage the "J"/fishing-hook stamp on the stem? I've seen lots of dots. . .but never an insignia from anyone except the Big Brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.