PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
In NYC this year we have been quite lucky with the weather. A very pleasant summer that was neither too hot nor too cold has been followed by a delightfully warm autumn with temperatures soaring into the 70s on most days. Finally this week I was struck down by the 'bug' of the season caused by idiots sneezing on the train and not covering their noses or worse still into their hands which then get wiped on every surface of the subway rendering hands a rather natty biological weapon. Normally I tend to get through this phase of the year due to the fact I always get my flu jab as soon as it becomes available which some odd reason seems to mitigate the autumn coughs and sneezes. Normally I wait till after Christmas to get my standard chest infection. I am sure you know the ones I am talking about. They start in early January with a hacking cough the results in you becoming your very own medical experiment and then don't disappear until the first week of spring. Last year one of my wives friends wanted to visit New York and naturally I was immediately volunteered to provide sustenance and shelter to this ghastly specimen of humanity. When Sarah comes to NYC you can tell she is on the plane as the whining continues after the engines have been switched off!
Anyway this amazingly frumpy old bag lady pitches up on my door step. So I get her settled in and giver the spare set of keys and go off out to meet my friend Andre. I return not an hour later to my home awash with cheap cigarette smoke in the form Pall Mall cigarettes - you know the motto on the pack 'Where certain retards congregate' and worse still the bag person curled up on my sofa in a fetal position. After asking the said bag person what was wrong with her she bleated 'I don't feel well!' which resulted in a huge out pouring of sympathy from me along the lines 'Why the f*ck did come here then and bring nasty germs with you?' this was followed up by the bag lady saying in a very annoying whiny voice something about not wanting to miss her holiday. I immediately decided that relocation was in her immediate future and took her one of those very cheap and seedy hotels that rent rooms by the hour and the area is so bad even hookers are having a sale. Sure enough five days later I went down with the 'bug' from hell. My friend Andre suggested I could clear my nose by sniffing a few salt crystals. I dutifully made two very fat lines of salt and was just sniffing the second through a rolled up $100 bill when my housekeeper walked in and wondered what the hell I was doing. It really didn't do much for my sinuses but it produced some snot with the same characteristics of a USPS rubber band which I am sure Willy Wonka would have found an application for at his factory.
After three days I usually get fed up and visit my Doctor around the corner from me. My Doctor has a German last name and very heavy accent. I have often wanted to ask him what he did during the war of 1939-45 but since he writes me prescriptions with little hassle and always gives me a pint of my favorite codeine based cough mixture I have always felt that its probably better to let him slide on the 'war crimes' issue. Anyway in view of this latest bug I thought I would make an appointment for today and get one looked at by the good 'Herr Doctor' before it becomes a whole of winter deal. So folks the moral here is get your flu jabs, drink lots of scotch and smoke your pipe and avoid all forms of human interaction until April 5th.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Hope you feel better. I work in an office taking claims and I can't tell you the number of people who will come in deathly sick. We go through 2 or 3 55 gallon drums of hand sanitizer a year to try and lessen the chance of getting sick. At 61, I seem to get sick much less than when I was younger but when I do it is usually bad.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Get well soon. I've had a sinus infection/bronchitis 1-2 punch for the last week, so my piping has been at zero. Ahh the pageant of the seasons.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Yeah, the cold and flu season is nigh 'pon us. Bad times for me because all of our part time and on-call people are working full time hours. No replacements. Sure would be nice to have those full time slots restored that were taken away during the downturn.
I'll skip the line of salt up my nose, but the scotch sounds interesting.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Last Thursday I was feeling quite manly - I'd gotten my flu shot. Then I got home expecting to be pampered a bit, and found that my wife had not only gotten her flu shot, but while she was at it, she got her Shingles shot and thyroid bloodwork. The week before she'd gotten her Dtap shot. This is why women give birth and not men!

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I was immediately volunteered to provide sustenance and shelter to this ghastly specimen of humanity.
How ya really FEEL? Your a hoot Simon! Why did you not just CONDOR the wretched wench to Death?...

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Simon you made my evening! It's sad but true, thanks for giving us a curmudgeonly take on reality. :rofl:

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Well these winter bugs can be a real pain in the arse. I went to the Yacht Club decommissioning party last night as I could sit on the veranda and hold court out there without running the risk of infecting anyone. As Andre already has the bug as well we just kept ourselves to ourselves and ate outside and had the bar tender deliver a bottle of scotch and a soda syphon to our table. Today I have the 'bug' full on so I intend to drown it with large amounts of scotch and water!

Status
Not open for further replies.