PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Thoughts on the fire pit: The fossil record indicates that the last common ancestor of the genus Homo and the genus Pan (Chimps), was some 5 mya. As the hominid line evolved over the past several million yrs., they eventually acquired fire. At first accidental recoveries from nature, like from lightening strikes. Later, man acquired the capability of commanding fire at will, first using flint and/or the friction principle with wood. Fossil records of planned fire pits exist some 400,000 before present near the mouth of caves in southern France. This means man evolved over the last 0.4 million years in direct association with fire. The center of camp would be the fire pit especially in cold European climates durring the great ice ages. Fire tenders were regarded with utmost respect by the tribe, as evidenced by extant Native American cultures, who called these individuals "fire keepers". Fuel acquisition had to be continuous. As night fell, especially in northern climes women & children essentially existed on the margins of fire pits for warmth and safety for many months at a time. All this means than man literally evolved breathing smoke from birth, iin direct association with fire pits and cooking. The patterns of our cilia in our trachea and bronchi differ dramatically from our closest cousins in the genus Pan who/which did not evolve with fire. Our cilia are much better developed, denser, beat faster, and are designed to continuously remove particulates from smoke from the trachae for deposition into the esophagus. Forensic anthropologists believe this is associated in the genus Homo with the development of fire. It is my personal belief that pipe smoking most closely resembles this long association with fire. Deep inhalation with cigarettes less so. How else to explain the long life spans of Bertrand Russell (98), Pablo Casals (96), Alger Hiss (92), Shelby Foote (89), etc. So I say Enjoy your pipes gentlemen. Our pipes are in essence portable campfires that lend warmth and security throughout our day, much as the fire pit did throughout our evolutionary history.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Very interesting thoughts, Kashmir -- I never would have made the association between mankind's long history with the fire pit and pipe smoking. I'm glad to know I'm carrying on a practice that started with the dawn of mankind.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
At a recent trip to a native reserve I saw a stone pipe that has been dated to 2500 years old. The pipe has been an important part of native culture for millenia.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Have you ever been camping, especially late fall or winter camping? You basically live on the margins of the fire pit. Now imaging doing this 24/7, for 400 hundred thousand years. Humans grew up as a species with fire and smoke. Our respiratory system basically evolved to deal with smoke and particulates in smoke. Now flash forward, where the scientist in a white lab coat, breathing filtered air conditioned air tells us to avoid smoke. Meanwhile they're drugging our kids, feeding us high fructose corn syrup and GMO foods, pushing soda pop as a way of life, and hypnotizing the populace with corporate sponsored media news and TV programming, where every third advertisement is for some pharmaceutical product to help us sleep, or quell out anxieties, or promote weight loss.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
cavemen_jpg1-300x198.jpg

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
"class...class!..CLASS!" Smile if you know what that's from :wink: Once again the sage Kashmir spreads the knowledge. He did cut the list short, he's posted a huge list of relevant and avid pipe smokers who lived well past our current life spans. Thanks again Kash...Unless you just called me a homo :clap:

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
LOL Cortez. I'm not saying we should all go back to the Stone Age. And of course today we enjoy much, much longer life spans. No doubt. But I am saying fire and smoke is not alien to our species. We were brought up on it. Literally. And in a way pipe smoking pays homage to that fact. Dragon - I'd never call you Homo. Human bean will do just fine. For the both of us. LOL.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Kash
That was great
I can just see you by the fire, hand under chin, elbow on knee and pipe in mouth, contemplating the universe...
I watch too much tv
:)
Allan

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
If someone digs into our fire pit, they're likely only to find the remains of 'smores & marshmellows...

I love sitting around a fire, my big fat David Jones Poker is my fire pit pipe.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Kashmir, I totally get the point of your post. I just had this cartoon in the bucket and thought I'd post it for a chuckle.

The whole conversation reminds me of an observation about California smog. It turns out that it must have been far worse

in pre-Columbian times when native Americans had campfires going continuously throughout the valley. Few of us today would

trade our air for theirs.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw11tCjAQM0
Yes on a serious note very interesting and thought provoking. Thanks Kashmir I love thinking about stuff like that.

A little too hot for fire right now but when it cools down a bit I love sitting by my little fire.

The smell and colors, heat and crackle of a fire we experience through so many different senses. I love the calming and relaxing effect it has at the end of the day. It is a lot like a pipe.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Interesting and insightful Kashmir...where would we be now if not for Prometheus lol.
Although I don’t subscribe to the linear view of human history, obviously people did live that way during certain epochs and in various regions. And one of the many characteristics of pipe smoking does seem to be something connected with campfires and ancient genetic memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.