The famous Black Frigate

(32 posts)
  • Started 4 months ago by seanv
  • Latest reply from anthonyrosenthal74
  1. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I dedicate pipes to certain genres and some pipes to specific blends. Next week we are going on vacation for two weeks and I can only bring a select number of pipes. I am going to crack my only tin of Black Frigate while on this vacation. My question is, does Black Frigate ghost a pipe or is it fairly neutral? I don’t want to have to choose a pipe to match it with while I have only a limited stock on hand but I want to open something new and exciting while I am away. My plan is to smoke it in a dedicated Latakia pipe.

Posted 4 months ago #
  2. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't think it ghosts a pipe at all. You should be fine with whichever you choose. Just wouldn't smoke it in any other pipe you have dedicated to like Virginias or Burleys, obviously.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 4 months ago #
  3. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm no ghost expert. I'd only worry about Lakelands aromatics and maybe Mixture No. 79, though I'm not troubled by it so far. Much depends on your sensitivity. I enjoyed a tin of Black Frigate in the recent past, and I don't have any idea which pipes I used, so I am experiencing zero ghosting, but perhaps I'm not that discerning.

Posted 4 months ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I have 8oz of it on order but can't help you as it hasn't arrived yet.

Posted 4 months ago #
  5. dcon

dcon

Login to Send PM

I am going to Russia and Ireland in the fall. I plan on taking a couple of meerschaums and buying tobacco as I travel. The meerschaums can be smoked to no end and you don’t have to worry about poltergeist.

Duane
    (Not Embers)
    Posted 4 months ago #
  6. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't smoke it in a Latakia pipe. As it has very little Latakia in it, a ghost in an English dedicated pipe would likely overpower it. Can't imagine BF causing any kind of ghosting.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 4 months ago #
  7. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't smoke it in a Latakia pipe.
    I was actually going to say the opposite, since you said you were going to use a latakia pipe. I was going to say you shouldn't have any problems with ghosting since you're using that pipe. But, actually, Duane is correct. Black Frigate certainly isn't a lat bomb. I like latakia, but Frigate has very little indeed. But it's that very little bit of latakia added to Black Frigate which makes it the perfect amount for that blend. A pipe dedicated to English/Balkan blends may already have an overpowering latakia ghost that will hinder you from actually tasting all that the 'Frigate' has to offer. Choose a more neutral pipe. Any ghost BF leaves, if indeed it leaves one, will likely be minor and easily exorcised.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 4 months ago #
  8. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Can't imagine BF causing any kind of ghosting.

Safe to use in a VA-dedicated pipe then?

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 4 months ago #
  9. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

Safe to use in a VA-dedicated pipe then?

I would say so. Most of BF is Virginia Oriental. Any residual left from BF, if at all, should easily burn away on your next smoke.

Posted 4 months ago #
  10. xingpao

xingpao

Login to Send PM

Are you saying black frigate is not deserving of an entire fleet of dedicated pipes?

Posted 4 months ago #
  11. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

Whatever pipe you decide on taking will do, just don't shy away from cracking open that tin of Frigate...it is a wonderful smoke. Enjoy brother.

Keep calm...smoke a pipe.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  12. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the advice. I’ll probably smoke it in a meer and see how it goes.

Posted 4 months ago #
  13. tennsmoker

tennsmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You can do far worse than have a BF ghost!

The past is never dead. It's not even past--Requiem for a Nun
    Posted 4 months ago #
  14. shermnatman

shermnatman

Login to Send PM

I was going to advise you the same as DCon has. 2 traveling Missouri Meerschaums for the vacation, and it becomes a non-issue with no worries. And, have a great time. - Sherm Natman

Posted 4 months ago #
  15. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

Tangent, but that’s a damn fine blend, Cap’n Embers. Really glad I learned about it here; I’m sure I’d have overlooked it otherwise. I’m into my third ounce of four. Soon I’ll write a review of it on SPC, and I’ll need to up my game to the 8oz tins.

I dedicated my favorite pipe (one the wife and kids bought for me) to it, as it looks the part! (Sandblasted black Scott’s bent brandy.)

But yeah I’d think I could safely smoke Va/Pers (no burleys or significant lats) in the same pipe with no problem.

“Well, I can’t cure death. This is bad, Morty. You’re trapped in a dead man. Listen, if the situation keeps darkening, do yourself a favor and pop by Pirates of the Pancreas. Obviously I’m biased, but I think it’s great, Morty. It’s a bunch of *belches* pirates running around a *belches* pancreas. We don’t whitewash it, either, Morty. I mean, the pirates are really rapey.” - Rick & Morty
    Posted 4 months ago #
  16. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

Are you saying black frigate is not deserving of an entire fleet of dedicated pipes?

I actually commissioned a pipe specifically for that blend several years ago, and that's all that gets smoked in it.

I dedicated my favorite pipe (one the wife and kids bought for me) to it, as it looks the part! (Sandblasted black Scott’s bent brandy.)

Would love to see it!

Posted 4 months ago #
  17. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Duane is correct. Black Frigate certainly isn't a lat bomb. I like latakia, but Frigate has very little indeed. But it's that very little bit of latakia added to Black Frigate which makes it the perfect amount for that blend

Double-dozen-plus on what Anthony said. No need to worry about "haints" on BF. Dunae's shared pics of that volcano before; I drool every time he does.

Really glad I learned about it here; I’m sure I’d have overlooked it otherwise

Same here. The Skipper shanghai'd me as well, & I ain'ts rer-gitted it even oncet, arrrrrr...... "We have an accord...."

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  18. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I decided to open my tin on our fourth day of vacation. Nice rainy and slightly Windy day out here so I thought it would be perfect and I was right. I think I am hooked. The tin note was incredible and so is the smoke. This burns great and holds a world of flavors all the way through. If the rest of this tin smokes as good as this bowl, I will have to add this to my cellar

Posted 4 months ago #
  19. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

I bought five pounds of the Frigate today.

Yo ho ho!

Posted 4 months ago #
  20. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good to hear you enjoyed the blend. It certainly is a great blend. In a class of it's own.

Posted 4 months ago #
  21. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

Scott’s pipe dedicated to Black Frigate. Yes, it’s a terrible picture.

I know no one cares (not in the clique and IDGAF), but Embers said he’d like to see it so...

Date on jar is wrong: should be 12/19. Just noticed it - lol, will put a new one on.

Posted 4 months ago #
  22. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

Embers said he’d like to see it so...

And I love it. That blast and swirled stem color are gorgeous!

Posted 4 months ago #
  23. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

And I love it. That blast and swirled stem color are gorgeous!

Thank you sir! I’m very flattered; you’re too kind.

Oh and the date on the jar... I bought that BF in Feb of ‘19. Checked my purchase records. Not sure (err... not telling -lol-) what I was smoking when I wrote the label. :sigh:

Posted 4 months ago #
  24. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

Looks fine to me. A strip of masking tape and a black Sharpie are all I use.

Posted 4 months ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

jaygreen55

Login to Send PM

Embers
    That's a wonderfully composed still life photograph. I like it very much. The pipe is a beauty too

Posted 4 months ago #
  26. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I decided to open my tin on our fourth day of vacation. Nice rainy and slightly Windy day out here so I thought it would be perfect and I was right. I think I am hooked. The tin note was incredible and so is the smoke. This burns great and holds a world of flavors all the way through. If the rest of this tin smokes as good as this bowl, I will have to add this to my cellar

Awesome! So glad to hear you enjoy it! Welcome aboard! I need to add more to my stash as well. Let the hoarding begin!

Scott’s pipe dedicated to Black Frigate.

That's a fantastic looking pipe and I could definitely see smoking the Frigate out of it! That stem and stain combo is beautiful! I've been considering it for a while now, but now I'm pretty sure I need to buy myself a dedicated Frigate pipe, because, why the hell not?

Posted 4 months ago #
  27. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This seems to be one of those blends that will thrive in a dedicated pipe. I may have to do some realignment or buy a new pipe too lol

Posted 4 months ago #
  28. tulsagentleman

tulsagentleman

Login to Send PM

I don't know if this forum is a good or a bad influence on me but I just ordered a tin of Black Frigate from 4noggins. Another new tobacco to smoke and enjoy.

Posted 4 months ago #
  29. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

May be we've overdone it for you; I hope not. Bit I still take no responsibility for it if you don't like it. Then it'll be Anthony's fault.

If you like it, OTOH, credit goes to the almighty Captain, Skipper, & Chief Commodore of the BF fleet!

Posted 4 months ago #
  30. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Just don't touch my Briar Fox.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 4 months ago #
  31. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

Just don't touch my Briar Fox.

Too late.

Posted 4 months ago #
  32. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM