The Falcon Has Landed - Verrrrry Interesting!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
2 Fresh Kent Rasmussen Pipes
60 Fresh Neerup Pipes
36 Fresh Rattray's Pipes
12 Fresh BriarWorks Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Just arrived this afternoon. I was familiar with the look and the concept and was very dubious about the pipe until reading a few germane threads on this site. So, I sucked it up and ordered one, a bent, as we have no quality tobacconist in Anchorage. As an aside, it is the first pipe I've purchased without the eyeballing and fondling test.
I've smoked the first partial bowl and am pleasantly surprised with the draw and coolness of the smoke. I'm not happy with the balance, it's different than my usual smokes. The pipe is very light, perhaps too light in the bowl. As soon as I find a purveyor I will order one of the heavier bowls. It's not uncomfortably different, mind you. So I am sure I will adjust.
I'm not completely sold on the visual of the pipe, I'm a bit conservative, but if form follows function, it a beauty, No problems with slipping a cleaner in and out. The dry rings make sense, not sure they are essential though. Dumping and wiping out the sump should suffice I'd think. All and all, if it smokes well after break-in, well . . . that's all I really ask of a pipe.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
My B&M has one that's been there since before I even started smoking pipes! I've considered it many times, but never went through with it. Maybe someday. They're a little too out of the norm for my taste, but I'd like to have one just the same.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Pete: It's been 20-30 years since I'd even seen. I stumbled onto a thread here and it kind of piqued my interest.
Only a partial bowl so far so it's way to early to tell, but I really hope that its a good smoker. I think, if it works out, it'll be one of my out-door pipe when I'm working with the camera. One pipe, a couple of bowls and I'd be good for a few days in the bush.
This was more of a utilitarian purchase.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Listed at $65 on sale for 52.00. The price helped my decision. If it works out and smokes great I think it was a heck of a deal. It's just not as "warm" looking of feeling as a brier or a well stained, comfortable in the hand meer. But, I do think it might have a place in my small inventory of pipes.

bigdude007

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2011
A Falcon was my second or third pipe I got when I bought several estates of fleabay. Since then I have added a few extra bowls, again from fleabay.

Every so often I will forget about my briars and just have a mammoth session with it. Makes a nice change.

I think the area where they come into their own is when you are on a long drive and you can pre pack several bowls and just swap them over when needed.

Hope you enjoy your new purchase.
Peace out.

Dave.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I bought a used Kirsten lately and the draw, even without tobacco in the bowl, is occluded. From what I can tell about a Falcon, it would appear that that would be the case with its mechanics, too. Yes?

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I've been smoking my falcons at least once a day since I purchased my first one in June. In fact a few days ago I was in a rush and packed the bowl much tighter than I have ever done. The draw was still fine.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
It took me awhile to warm up to the idea of a metal pipe, but they're like potato chips - you can't have just one. I now have 5 Falcons, a little over-buy I'll admit but I bought them reasonably on the bay so that I'd have a wide selection of bowls and 2 of them are my wife's.

At one time a Falcon was the most popular pipe in England. I use mine for traveling and camping. Will they ever replace my briars - No, but they are a good pipe, I've never had a bad smoke yet from one.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Will they ever replace my briars - No, but they are a good pipe, I've never had a bad smoke yet from one.
plateauguy you are correct. One of the nice things about Falcons is you can dedicate bowls to certain blends with a minimal cash outlay. Ultimately I'd like to find one or two unsmoked block meerschaum bowls or even get them made.

sjb3

Might Stick Around
Oct 23, 2013
I have two falcons (strait stemmed) dedicated to Virgina flakes, both smoke wonderfully! They smoke cool, are lightweight and easy to clench, and are easy to clean too. To me they are one of the most functional pipes around. I also think they serve a greater purpose to the pipe community because they, along with cobs, epitomize two important ideologies in the pipe world…function vs. aesthetics. Falcons (and pipes similar to them) raise the question of whether we enjoy smoking tobacco or admiring the instruments we use to smoke (most people enjoy both). Similarly, this also tends to separate the older generations of pipe smokers (function) from the new ones (Aesthetics). Not that either side is better than the other.
Oh yeah, warren: make sure you don’t remove the stem from the falcon, they are not meant to be removed. Hope you enjoy your new pipe!

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
1) Al: What did you use on the stem to polish it up so nicely?
2) There are meerschaum lined briars on the bay - just make sure you don't buy a Hunter unless that's what you have - the bowls don't interchange.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
The Falcon flyer that accompanied the pipe states "Remember, all Falcon Bowls are interchangeable with all Falcon Stems." The brochure shows all three ranges, Standard, Hunter and Classic.
Should I disregard that information?

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
The Hunter, Bantam, Classic & Standard all fit the Falcon. The only one that doesn't is that Alco. The lined bowls are not the same as a full meer bowl. Apparently the glue may come through, that is something I do not feel like trying out to see if its true.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
1) Al: What did you use on the stem to polish it up so nicely?

Thanks, my normal regimen of 2000 grit wet paper, then micromesh and buffed with white diamond then plastic polish. This was my first Falcon and I thought the stem was too plasticky for my taste. I sold it to a guy on another forum who ways they are indestructible.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
The flyer that accompanied the pipe states, "Remember, all Falcon Bowls are interchangeable with all Falcon Stems."
Is this not correct?

It is Correct. See my earlier post. Some Ebayers will classify an Alco as a Falcon. An Alco is an Alco and only Alco bowls fit Alcos (Did I type Alco enough?).

Status
Not open for further replies.