The Fabulous French All-Briar Has Arrived...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

3 Fresh Askwith Pipes
60 Fresh Neerup Pipes
36 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
3 Fresh Bill Shalosky Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
...recently I finally found one of my White Whales, an oldtimey All-Briar.
Of course, I was hoping for a BBB or Loewe or something similar,

but I'll be content with a famous old English tobacconist imprint :)

RARE PIPE VINTAGE THE GUILFORD H SIMMONS FRENCH MAKE

It's quite a small pipe,

which I like.

Around 3 3/4" long and weighing 14.3g
There was a couple of disappointments though,

I was worried about the rim because it wasn't visible in the listing, and indeed it is a good bit charred, but not too bad -- and I had thought it was a standard billiard shape, but it's an odd "eyeball" shape, I don't know the proper term for it?
All in all,

I'm extremely happy.

These things are hard to come by in decent condition.
Another thing of note is how well the briar stem bit kept intact even with obvious moderate smoking.

I have seen a few All-Briars that were absolutely chewed up, but that's the same with vulcanite too, some smokers are just chewers. The owner of this pipe smoked it well, yet was careful enough not to badly damage it.
There seems to be a misconception out there about briar stems being fragile or something, or so soft that they become malformed with use, but my experience with them has been grand!

I find them to be exceedingly hard-wearing and supremely comfortable.
A wild guess would date this pipe to the Teens to early Twenties,

so it's a wonderful survivor!
Anyway,

here be the pipe:
lnTru4Q.jpg

XuM1FJw.jpg

2TbRex4.jpg

LEUrsOS.jpg

aOZyc20.jpg

i5WtkTn.jpg

BJxWges.jpg

frhKjb4.jpg

VqCJARV.jpg

XWtql5t.jpg

reNU8Bt.jpg

JQEu24m.jpg

qMwGPkh.jpg

These pipes were popular it seems because they were listed in some of the old catalogs.

Since it was common for the British pipe companies during that period to used already-turned stummels from France, I'd think it highly likely that many of the All-Briars sold by the British makers may have originated there, and I'd also reckon that the idea was a French innovation --- I'd love to have some concrete evidence, but the topic is pretty niche specific and a little esoteric.
Regardless,

it seems that the style fell out of favor by the 20's at least and never show up after that.
The 1910 Loewe catalog has quite a few of them,

including a couple more I didn't photograph...
Q6zTejO.jpg

y4rAsKv.jpg

M5TSifE.jpg

The 1912 BBB catalog also lists them,

but just says "assorted shapes"...
C5yzmdP.jpg

I'm happy to have finally found myself a good example.
Most likely,

it will fall into the hands of George Dibos (if he accepts the project) because I'd love to see it gloriously restored!

:puffy:

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Congrats. Good looking old pipe. Have you heard of the Dunhill/H.Simmons connection? Dunhill bought out Simmons and the doors closed in 1980, or so the story goes.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That is a sweet little all briar pipe for sure. I'm looking forward to seeing it once it's been shown a little TLC. Enjoy. :puffy:

K

klause

I kinda dig that bowl shaping - very, very nice.
Gorgeous little pipe, and a great piece of history - cracking condition for its age.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
What a beautiful little gem you got there. I'd love to see it restored, but if it were mine, I'd be wary of smoking it after a resto and would probably rather just clean it good and smoke the heck out of it.

Once restored, it will likely become an objet d'art in your collection, and that piece looks like it should be put to its intended purpose.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Troy, I'm finding the more you post "your" all briars, the less I like you. Why is that? Maybe it's all the teasing.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Troy-

That is an amazing little pipe! I've got a couple Kaywoodie allbriars but they just ain't the same!!

I think I kind of dig that "eyeball" shape, the more I look at it the more it grows on me!

Congrats!..... :puffy:

greyfoxactual

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2015
Minnesota
Interesting shape indeed. Congrats on the find. Never heard of an all-brair. Do all-briars smoke cooler or hotter than their vulcanite/acrylic cousins? Gotta think learning the skill involved really cranked through the briar supply. This hobby's history finds me curiouser and curiouser.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Great piece of history which I know you truly have a love and respect for, misterlowercase. I am also impressed that the stem is in such good shape. Congratulations sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.