PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobwills

Lurker
Jan 25, 2016
Lately I have been reading about The Endurance expedition with Shackelton and Tom Crean. (I have been looking at Peterson Explorer series pipes as well.) I am curious to know what tobacco most likely would have been smoked in that time period on an expedition like that. I thought that maybe someone on the forum might be able to tell me. Thank you

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Found this article which might be able to answer your questions to some degree:
https://smokingjacketmagazine.com/2015/01/08/parsing-old-time-pipe-tobacco-blends/
About 1/4 of the way down the page is a sampling of some of the blends available at the time. Looks like the pipe smoker in the early 1900s had quite an extensive collection of blends to choose from.
Happy reading :)
According to the article, there was apparently a serious lack of manufacturing standards in those days, and many of the blends were adulterated with all sorts of terrible things.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
One of my all time favourite books, 'south'. Written by Shackleton himself. Read it! If you haven't done so already, it's an absolute cracking read.

Getting back to the favourite brands of that time. In some of the photos in that book, you can see old 'cutter' top tins of capstan. Gallahers honeydew would have there as well, both 'top sellers' in their day. In the book south, when the men ran out of tobacco supplies, they resorted to cutting up & shaving pipe bowls! Along with drying out seaweed. Drastic measures for desperate times!

Reactions: GatorElGato

seaelf32

Lurker
Mar 25, 2018
Good morning....I was wondering the same thing...what blend of pipe tobacco did the crew on Endurance smoke...before they resorted to pipe bowl residue mixed with seannegrass from their boots. The link from "The Smoking Jacket" seems to be bad. I'll do some searching.

Status
Not open for further replies.