The Euro is Down Again

(31 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by stanlaurel
  • Latest reply from jvnshr
  1. stanlaurel

stanlaurel

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Euro is down to $1.07 again. It is the perfect time if you have been considering a purchase from a Euro denominated site.

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I took advantage of the exchange rate last week and loaded up at James Fox. It's probably a good time to go to Europe but this time of year the weather tends to be very grey.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. catyrpelius

catyrpelius

Login to Send PM

I've been watching this. I see a good sized order of Strang in my near future.

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. jackswilling

jackswilling

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a Norther Briar pipe in the pipe-line, so this will help for sure.

"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
    James. C. Henderson
    Posted 3 years ago #
  5. tarheel1

tarheel1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well if you are getting a northern briar from Ian then you will be paying GBP not euro.

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. jackswilling

jackswilling

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Well if you are getting a northern briar from Ian then you will be paying GBP not euro."

You are correct and that is more like $1.50 with a recent down-trend. I wish it were Euros, but then again, it would just be more Euros.

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. hiplainsdrifter

hiplainsdrifter

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anyone got a favorite source for the Gawith plugs, e.g. St James or BBF plug? Or Germains Brown Flake?

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. arno665

arno665

Login to Send PM

*Grrrr* and the low € makes buying tobacco in the States expen$ive.. -_-

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Arno, right now it's our turn for "bargain" buying. I'm sure things will turn around for the euro. It's the way of a world economy.

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can see the Euro going to parity quite easily if not lower ... keep an eye on the FED's move in December.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. jackswilling

jackswilling

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"... keep an eye on the FED's move in December"

What are you thinking? My opinion, no rate hikes as long as Obama is in office.

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's what I thought for quite awhile but with the October jobs report beating expectations it's a lot more likely now.

If / when they raise the rate it will be very small, about 0.25%, which is already factored into the markets and Dollar Index.

The rise of the dollar often precedes a rate increase because the money is in futures.

Meanwhile, the ECB is still tangling with NIRP and QE ... we are definitely living in "interesting" times!

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Maybe we should get a bulk buy going on UK tobaccos (plugs) and Motzek.

Arno, the answer is you should just come here to hang out and smoke a lot of tobacco at a reduced rate. You can probably trade Stroopwaffeln for dollars at a better exchange rate.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 3 years ago #
  14. jackswilling

jackswilling

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The notion of "qualitative easing" makes me laugh. A whole lot of fiat $$$ out of thin air. The cool thing is that the whole world is so screwed-up that the dollar remains as "the" reserve currency. We are the best of the worst. Crazy ("interesting") times to be sure.

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We are the best of the worst.

Exactly ... the cleanest, dirty shirt in the basket!

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. arno665

arno665

Login to Send PM

Maybe we should get a bulk buy going on UK tobaccos (plugs) and Motzek.

Ideal time for Motzek indeed! For UK plugs not so much.. The Pound is still high, 1 Pound is 1.51 Dollar right now..

Arno, the answer is you should just come here to hang out and smoke a lot of tobacco at a reduced rate. You can probably trade Stroopwaffeln for dollars at a better exchange rate.

I experienced American taxes before when a colleague of mine went tobacco shopping in Chicago, so no thnx
    Plus the costs of the trip! No, this cheapskate Dutchman rather takes his chances at a higher price at 4noggins However, importing stroopwafels...

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I experienced American taxes before when a colleague of mine went tobacco shopping in Chicago, so no thnx

Yugh! Especially in Chicago, which is sort of bad for taxes (and corruption, and murder, etc). It has been a political machine town for over a century and it's always going broke, so taxes are always going up! I would rank it up there with California for places with insane tax burdens.

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. yazamitaz

yazamitaz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would be interested in a group buy from Motzek for some Strang. I was on the site last night. Price is good but for the amount that I would be buying the shipping makes it cost prohibitive.

Any of their other tobaccos good?

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. foolwiththefez

foolwiththefez

Login to Send PM

I'd be interested in a Strang group buy. I'd like to try it, but agree with yazamitaz that shipping is too high at the amounts I'm looking to buy.

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. oldreddog

oldreddog

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Evening is interesting,lemon & lat.

I have some M70,which I have yet to try.

Killing me won't bring back your apples.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  21. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Count me in on a Strang buy.

Posted 3 years ago #
  22. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yugh! Especially in Chicago, which is sort of bad for taxes (and corruption, and murder, etc). It has been a political machine town for over a century and it's always going broke, so taxes are always going up! I would rank it up there with California for places with insane tax burdens.

Try crossing a bridge in NYC. Some are as high as $16. Annual property taxes in the NY suburbs of 20k and up is extremely common.

My monthly train pass is now almost $500.

New York is extremely hostile to the middle class. It's time for me to leave.

My understanding is Illinois tobacco tax is 18%. New York is 75%.

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 3 years ago #
  23. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Holy mackerel. I knew NYC was expensive, not Tokyo-expensive.

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm like a 5th or 6th generation New Yorker. My family has been here since coming over from Europe in the 1800's and it's gotten so out of hand I'm ready to move down to the Carolina's or maybe Texas.

It's insane. Hell there was the guy who ran for Mayor and his platform was "rent's too damn high". lmao

Posted 3 years ago #
  25. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

NYC seems to have a lot of wealthy people. That means that they don't mind paying a lot, and everyone else just has to lump it

Posted 3 years ago #
  26. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are a lot of uber wealthy people and a lot of poor people. The middle class is getting squeezed out.

The homeless rate since the economy turned to crap must be a lot higher than before. It used to be I'd see one or two on the 10 block walk from the station to my office and now I see 10 to 15. Also 15 years ago it was mostly older men now it's a ton of younger people.

The crazy part is when the housing bubble burst NYC wasn't affected in the slightest. Hell any neighborhood within a couple subway stops of Manhattan is ridiculous.

Posted 3 years ago #
  27. oldreddog

oldreddog

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fitzy that's savage stuff. Durning the celtic tiger there was a notion abroad the Ireland should move ideologically closer to NY than Berlin.
    Blithley that direction was followed. The crisis in homeless and soaring rent is now one that I would consider to be a humanitarian one.

Posted 3 years ago #
  28. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This crazy guy ran for governor and his party was the "Rents too damn high party"

Then it turned out his rent wasn't high at all. I'm not sure if that was blew up his campaign or the balls on his chin. lol

Posted 3 years ago #
  29. captainprophesy

captainprophesy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Depending on the details... id be in on the Strang buy.

*Thanks for the heads up Fez

I carry a gun... because a cop is too heavy!
    Posted 3 years ago #
  30. arno665

arno665

Login to Send PM

There are a lot of uber wealthy people and a lot of poor people. The middle class is getting squeezed out.

Same situation here in the Netherlands. The rich are getting richer and middle class people like me are being squeezed out.

Posted 3 years ago #
  31. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

I read an article about the economic situation few months ago. It was a well written one and it stated clearly that 1 USD will be equal to 1 EUR by the end of this year. So you may want to wait a little more.

Javan
    Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   drrock, pepesdad1, p40warhawk, voorhees, cosmicfolklore, tonym99, armonts, lightxmyfire, greeneyes, charmcitygentleman, seldom, the85boro, orlandofurioso, bluegrassbrian, dukdalf, lawdawg, civilwar, generalzod