Tags:  No tags yet. 

The End of P&T Magazine

(29 posts)
  • Started 4 months ago by writingraav
  • Latest reply from odobenus
  1. writingraav

writingraav

Login to Send PM

William Serad just reported on the Christopher Morley Pipe Club Facebook page that the new owners have decided to discontinue Pipis and Tobacco Magazine. The Spring issue will be the final one. Very sad new for our hobby.

Posted 4 months ago #
  2. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm indeed sorry to hear that. While it was published, it was a remarkable magazine of the highest quality. Congratulations to everyone involved with producing it, editing and writing for it, those who did the beautiful photographs and intelligent graphic design, the exquisite printing, and the many distinguished subjects who appeared within its covered.

Posted 4 months ago #
  3. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You should check in here more often.
    We've been discussing this:
    http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pampt-magazine-and-parent-co-have-a-new-owner

Posted 4 months ago #
  4. morgansteele

morgansteele

Login to Send PM

The Spring issue will be the final one. Very sad new for our hobby.

Agreed. Thanks for the post.

Posted 4 months ago #
  5. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mixed signals. Is the OP the latest news, or is it one step behind?

Posted 4 months ago #
  6. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

P&T editor Cliff Nelson called me to tell me the Spring issue will be the last. And the new owners are letting him go, too. Cliff edited the magazine single handed when Chuck Stanion left, and they saw no value in him? Typical these days of corporate change overs, I suppose, but it's sad that they wouldn't find use for a good, loyal company man on another of their magazines.

Posted 4 months ago #
  7. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

The corporate is probably afraid of his tobacco ties. Don't want to offend anyone. One more sign of things to come.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 4 months ago #
  8. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The corporate is probably afraid of his tobacco ties. Don't want to offend anyone. [:roll:] One more sign of things to come
    . You should take a look at the new owner's mission and other holdings before making such pronouncements:

"TMA, a non-profit, member-driven organization that provides its members with information on a variety of tobacco and nicotine issues, has announced that it has acquired the assets of Raleigh, North Carolina-based SpecComm International, Inc. With this acquisition, TMA now owns several popular trade shows–such as the GTNF and TabExpo–and numerous tobacco publications including Tobacco Reporter, Vapor Voice, Tobacco Farm Quarterly, Tobacconist, Pipes & Tobacco and Cigars & Leisure magazines."

Posted 4 months ago #
  9. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So, we are all in agreement. Tad Gage must re-introduce The Compleat Smoker!

Mike S.

Posted 4 months ago #
  10. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Vapor Voice

Is that an early warning sign of Popcorn Lung?

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 4 months ago #
  11. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

You should take a look at the new owner's mission and other holdings before making such pronouncements:

Corporate BS bores me. That being the case, seems they've shot themselves in the foot letting Cliff Nelson go, and how many of those holdings are they going to keep active?

Posted 4 months ago #
  12. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They know exactly what they are doing.

Posted 4 months ago #
  13. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

That's what worries me.

Posted 4 months ago #
  14. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can’t help but think about how I never got any emails from P&T, even after I subscribed, or after my subscription lapsed. They were never very interested in promoting themselves, despite having such a great product. I thought that they might use tobaccoreviews.com to better promote the magazine. But even paid advertisers were barely visable. So much more could be done there to give advertisers more value, and to integrate the magazine into the online presence.

Posted 4 months ago #
  15. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I didn't even know there was a print pipe magazine available.

Posted 4 months ago #
  16. morgansteele

morgansteele

Login to Send PM

I didn't even know there was a print pipe magazine available.

The NASPC issues a worthy publication: http://www.naspc.org/newsletter.htm

Posted 4 months ago #
  17. daveinlax

daveinlax

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The NASPC issues a worthy publication: http://www.naspc.org/newsletter.htm

I agree and we're very lucky Jeff and Eddie were will and able to take over for Bill (RIP).

Posted 4 months ago #
  18. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I can’t help but think about how I never got any emails from P&T, even after I subscribed, or after my subscription lapsed. They were never very interested in promoting themselves, despite having such a great product. I thought that they might use tobaccoreviews.com to better promote the magazine. But even paid advertisers were barely visable. So much more could be done there to give advertisers more value, and to integrate the magazine into the online presence.

Pretty much my experience as well, which is why I cancelled my subscription. The magazine was hemorrhaging money. Tobacco Reviews is still profitable, so that may possibly continue.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 4 months ago #
  19. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sad news but not unexpected. The NASPC is still publishing its newsletter. Its very good and a bargain for $22 for six issues. Unfortunately Jeff and Eddie asked for some help with the readership and got a reply from exactly zero from the readership. They may be forced to fold the tent in time.

Posted 4 months ago #
  20. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is terrible for Cliff. I feel awful for him.

So Tobacco reviews may just disappear? Is there anyone who wants to try to capture that database before it goes?

kcghost, I just subscribed to NASPC at the end of December for the first time (I don't know what took so long), so I must admit I have no idea about what you are speaking. What did they request?

Posted 4 months ago #
  21. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Since Tobacco Reviews does have a few sponsors, it's possible it may be making enough money to continue. That's a guess on my part.

Posted 4 months ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I asked a similar question on the other thread about the fate of tobaccoreviews.com, but no one seemed interested. Does anyone know if there is someone to contact about the matter? The demise of that site would be a very sad blow to pipes smokers.

Posted 4 months ago #
  23. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

KCGhost said "Sad news but not unexpected. The NASPC is still publishing its newsletter. Its very good and a bargain for $22 for six issues. Unfortunately Jeff and Eddie asked for some help with the readership and got a reply from exactly zero from the readership. They may be forced to fold the tent in time."

To put a finer point on this, they requested local (Columbus,Oh) help. That leaves a large chuck of the membership outside the requested area.

Mike S.

Posted 4 months ago #
  24. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

DFO: I don't know if there was lack of interest in the question so much as nobody knows what to expect or say. I certainly have interest in it, considering my involvement there regarding reviews. Not knowing the motives of the new owners is a tad worrisome, but as it's not a money loser, I would like to think it'll survive.

Wish I knew who to contact about it.

Posted 4 months ago #
  25. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Elsewhere, somebody reported that they contacted customer service, and were told that unfilled subscriptions would be refunded.

Posted 4 months ago #
  26. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I sincerely hope that if the website is shut down eventually that they would be willing to sell the database.

Posted 4 months ago #
  27. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

sad that they wouldn't find use for a good, loyal company man

+plenty, Jim. Surely a use could be found to justify one salary.

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  28. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just saw this note from P&T's editor:

Gentlemen,
    I have recently realized through a FB conversation that the fantastic website Tobacco Reviews is in danger of folding now that Pipes and Tobaccos Magazine is closing up. In a panic I emailed the site and got this response :

"Unlike the magazine, this web site actually makes money, and thus commands market value. Here's hoping someone will buy it and continue it.

I await developments, like everyone else. There's nothing we can do about any of it, except wait and see.
    Stay tuned!
    Cliff Nelson
    admin, tobaccoreviews.com"

Posted 4 months ago #
  29. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

Oh man, it would be tragic if Tobacco Reviews folded with all of its data. I bet I pull up that site more than any other.

Non Serviam
    Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   hauntedmyst, elasmo, ajohnb, olkofri, ryeguy, ashdigger, chilllucky, ricebiscuit