PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
Hey all when im smoking my bowl towards the end when it seems like its done, I let it sit for 5 min. Then when I dump the ash towards the bottom of the bowl I have a little unsmoked tobacco down in there that I have to kind of pick out. Is this normal? Shiuld I try and relight it, even though its very little I feel like im wasting some great tobacco. Thanks so much all I hope your all enjoying this great weekend and let us give thanks to those who and are serving!
--------------------------

Thanks for being a member and participating.
Thread title fixed.
Please use your Shift key in body text as well.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
- Kevin

--------------------------

Jan 8, 2013
It is normal. It's called dottle, the last bit that never seems to burn quite right. I used to try to stir it and light it again, these days I just let it go. It usually doesn't taste too good anyway.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
With aromatic tobacco this is commonplace. It's goopy and probably not very tasty so why ruin a good smoke by forcing the issue? Dump, run a cleaner through and rest the pipe. If it's a cob you can repack after it cools and dries out. The English and Virginias tend to not leave dottle as they are not as heavily cased as the aro's are.

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
Ok thanks guys I just was not sure and I don't have anyone to help in my new found hobby! I might go hang out at smokers haven. Someone told me the guys in there are always looking for a newbie to tell their stories too! I just thought it was a sin to waste un-burnt tobacco lol thanks again all

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
Thanks junkyarddawg! Hey you don't live close to there by chance do ya? Just checking lol. Thats what ive been doing since I gound this fourm is dig and try to perfect my new hobby. Thanks again all!

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Yeah, let the dottle go. It's just a bit and you're really not wasting it. Think of it like that last small sip at the bottom of a beer bottle that's warm and partially foam.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Worse thing you can do is to ruin a good 45 minute to one hour relaxing smoke by trying to smoke what is no longer 'smokable' anymore and end up with the taste of a bad peanut. Dump the crap and don't be concerned about it. However, I rarely find this to be all that much of a problem, for the most part, with non-aromatics.

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
Thanks all. The last bit swig in a beer bottle thats all warm and foamy!!! +1

Bhahahahaha thats why i l ove this fourm.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
marine33, my wish for you as a pipe smoker is to care nothing about dottle. People get all concerned about wanting to smoke

each bowl down to a fine white powdery ash. Balderdash. When that happens, as it does from time to time, when the flavor

doesn't diminish but you burn every last bit of leaf, that's fun. But I, for one, am not going to run out and give you a prize, and

neither is anyone else in their right mind. Dottle is like fish bones, steak fat, peanut shells, beer foam on the side of an empty

glass, and so on. It's the leavings of a good experience (with luck) and you shouldn't give it a nanosecond of thought. Just let go

of that whole concept and enjoy the goodness of the leaf, until you don't know whether there was dottle in a bowl or not.

marine33

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2014
Mso489 I was not looking to win anything I just did not know what that was. I only have about 20 bowls under my belt and I just recieved my first order of tobacco which I love and don't want waste none of it. I just didn't know if perhaps I was doing something wrong to have it not burn all the way or if I I need to do something at the end of a good bowl. I know now what that is and I will not care one bit about it. I do want to thank you for helping me out and explaining what it is. Happy puffing all

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I save dottle in a little container. After it has cooled and aired out a bit its not bad at all. Pretty heady in the nicotine area too. Probably a newbie thing. I do smoke it from time to time though.

pipedreamer

Might Stick Around
Oct 29, 2012
If your draft hole is cut properly you can smoke it if not too wet. If it is, let it sit for awhile. You don't have to smoke it, but I do.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Maybe there are people who carry a roach clip and smoke a cigar all the way to the end, but I never knew any. IMHO the bit about smoking a pipe down to the bottom is another one of those instances where men make everything into a competition where the manliest man prize goes to whoever can stand the most pain or grossness. In 40 years I have never smoked a pipe past where it starts to taste foul. As long as I'm footing the bill for my own tobacco I don't see any reason to attempt it.

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
Don't force it, or try to relight it, it will ruin the bowl. But I take my pipenail and stir it up then cover the top and shake my pipe. The dottle and ash helps build cake, than I dump it.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Don't force the issue. Towards the bottom, I will tamp and try to re-light. Once. Beyond that, why ruin a good smoke? I have one pipe that always, always, always smokes clear to the bottom. Otherwise, I pretty much always have a bit of dottle and rarely get a gold star for finishing all of my tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.