PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Well as some of you might remember, not to long ago I was trying to track down a baccyflap. Because of a very generous member of this forum, I am now the proud owner of that elusive pipe accessory!
For those that don't know what a baccyflap is, this is where I found the most information Baccyflap.com... (there is a link that says "baccyflap", click it and it will tell you a little history)
I received my baccyflap from Fred, our very own Meerschaum Guru. He asked a measly price and I can't thank him enough!
Here she is...
IMG_4656.jpg

IMG_4657.jpg

This last one is for scale and to show you the back side...
IMG_4655.jpg

Fred if you read this, Thank you so much!

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Hobie, I am currently doing an experiment to determine just that!
I loaded it up a day ago, and I plan on opening it up once a day and testing it using the pinch method. I will report back once the tobacco gets crunchy! :)

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
has an art deco look to it, is it hard to open? Looks like it would be a two handed operation and also would need a non-skid mat under it to keep it from spinning.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
I've been looking through all my local antique shops for snuff boxes lately, and was wondering about even using some of the older powder tins that women use. They actually look just like a baccy flap and I imagine they'd have to be pretty airtight to keep the powder from getting humid and sticky. Just a thought, anyone think it would work for either dry snuff or pipe baccy?

pipegoddess

Lurker
Sep 8, 2011
Wilmington, DE
Nathaniel, I used to use old breath mint tins... they worked great at first... but eventually they begin to buckle under the frequency of use. They are cheap tins and will hold about 1-2 bowls full... so if you pipe often or want to go to a lounge, it works great. Most compacts tend to allow a bit of air into the hinge area. However... the Loreal Paris True Match powder compact is ok. You'd of course need to extract the powder but beneath it lies a tin. The way the compact closes prevents air from getting in and seems to also work well. IMHO...

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
thanks pipegoddess! I realized after posting this that legitimate answers would likely only be limited to cyndi and now you... saying as I don't think many guys here have powdered themselves recently. :rofl:
And welcome to the forums! It's a good place with plenty of great learned folks in the realm of piping. Don't be shy!
I'll have to check out that loreal pack.

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
When I first heard of gold bond, I was told it was A/C for your underpants... i don't think they were using it for their feet. 8O

pipegoddess

Lurker
Sep 8, 2011
Wilmington, DE
:nana: You know... after I posted... I realized... hmmmm... some dude walking around with a Loreal compact??? ummm maybe if painted... lol... I am surprised there are so few femme-pipers here :puffy: thanks for the welcome... I won't be shy :wink: You seem like a cool bunch a cats. And about that gold bond... it's meant for thick skin ... not for sensitive spaces... from what I hear ... it'll burn a whole though your pouch! :twisted: So I'd keep it away from them jewels. I'm a big sista ... so I think I can carry my own weight round here ... even if it is only just a few of us ladies :) After all... you'll never stick a pipe in anything more beautiful than a woman :lol:

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Depends on the Gold Bond I guess... The blue bottle is for feet, the yellow for whatever and the green "Medicated" one can be used anywhere, but the first month is a bit fun in sensitive areas. After that, it becomes quite refreshing. Imagine Altoids for your "jewels" as pipegoddess put it. YMMV.
-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.