Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
In case you missed this news in recent weeks, the States Attorneys Generals are at it again. Pop Quiz: The States Attorneys General are attacking tobacco because: A. They are truly concerned about the public's health, and want to save us from ourselves, or B. They're in it for the money. If you need help figuring out the answer, then check out Fred Brown's latest column: The Elephant Has Landed

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
They will, eventually, kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.
obama3-37262726107_xlarge.jpeg

Hypocrisy? What hypocrisy?

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Fred Brown's article hits a nerve here. Living in and out of North Carolina in the 80's I had a close friend who's family depended on 120 acres of tobacco crops. If I remember right, 1988 was their last crop that went to market in a Kingston auction house. I had the wonderful experience of helping to hang tobacco in the barn and learn how everything was done, right up to shipment. The big money settlement certainly didn't help family's, nor did it help communities. Even the states have piddled it away through mismanagement!

I've never seen a better reason for building a personal cellar than this story....

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
As much as I agree with the article, I'm starting to see a pattern in Fred Brown's writting that leans towards the negative. Any chance we might get a happy article next month, or are we left to read about doom and gloom again.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Very well done and thought provoking article by Fred Brown.
By the time the ban on Internet tobacco sales makes it way through congress, all of the "local" tobacco shops will no longer even sell pipe tobacco.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Northernneil,
There are lots of places to go for a happy read, very few places for factual information.

Fred is one of the few voices reporting on the tobacco consumer's plight.
When the news is genuinely bad, it is all that much more important that it be well reported and universally consumed.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
The cold hard truth is that they (goverment) WANTS you on drugs! They do not want tobacco around because it is to simple. If you get hooked on the hard stuff, you are controlable! You turn into the SHEEPLE! And then they can do what ever they want without anyone keeping them in check.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
drwatson,
While I am disgusted at your summation I feel that you are 100% correct sir. The worst part is they are starting kids to get hooked on drugs (or at least being conditioned to take them daily). Every kid that acts out of order for any reason is prescribed Ritalin or some other behavior controlling drug. I have a friend whose 13 yr old girl is on Xanex......XANEX???? WTH is that??? I understand times change but at 13 all I cared about was my first kiss, collecting baseball cards, excelling at sports and playing with my friends. I guess getting good grades so my dad didn't beat on me was another concern, but I didn't carry the weight of the world on my shoulders.
We are definitely trying to be controlled my friends. I wish I had a solution to the problem. I would say move to Spain, but they have their own shit-sandwich that they have to eat.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
So what do we do? Write letters and e-mails to out our state AG offices? Can we start a Super PAC to buy sponsor influence a politician or two?

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I wonder what sickens and kills more people each year: tobacco, or the high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oil laden junk foods and drinks the "pharmacies" continue to stock on their shelves?

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I would say its probably our environment that kills more people than tobacco or bad food. The amount of pollution we put is out and the constant attacks to limit the control of such probably does more harm. Its just that you cannot typically "see" pollution in the way you can tobacco smoke. Plus, the masses have been brainwashed to accept smoking is bad while ignoring all of the other harmful crap out there.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I think it's wise to stock up now if you're serious about pipe smoking. Before any type of ban happens there will be huge taxes put on tobacco. I've personally seen 50gm pouches go from about 12$ to about 30$ in the last 15 years or so, and packs of cigarettes go from about 6$ to 15$ as well. Once the taxes come into place internet sales will be a thing of the past. I can say with confidence that I will smoke a pipe for a long time. The prices now for me at 35$ a pound is dreamy, I'm not going to sit and wait for the sthtf, the only thing that's going to happen is prices are going to rise, and tobacco aging is just going to increase it's value, or if prices increase dramatically it's not like this tobacco is going to be hard to sell. I thought I had enough tobacco, but I realize sitting and waiting for my supply to go down before buying more is a foolish move, as these price increases don't come in small increments, they're big money grabs meant to scare people into quitting. And once healthcare comes in say goodbye to cheap tobacco and booze.

kanaia

Feb 3, 2013
By the time the ban on Internet tobacco sales makes it way through congress, all of the "local" tobacco shops will no longer even sell pipe tobacco.
I beg to differ. My B&M can't wait for congress to ban internet tobacco sales for obvious reasons. He is actually looking for more storage room.

curl

Apr 29, 2014
It sucks that this is going on and I'm so new at this.

I don't have a favorite blend yet that I would buy mass quantities of.

I like a most of what I've tried, but my tastes are just getting started and are sure to evolve.

It would be a roll of the dice for me to buy pounds of anything at this point.

Should I panic and get a 10 year supply of what I think I might like as time goes along?

Mar 31, 2014
"It’s a 'pharmacy,' see, a place where you are supposed to get your 'health products.' "
Last I checked, most of the "health products" I can get at the pharmacy are either superfluous crap aimed at female image insecurities for the sake of capital gain, and drugs with dangerous side effects marketed to consumers for the same reason.
Sure, many people have serious issues and can't live productive lives without medication. But, this is not always the case.
My tobacco is a better for my health than a palm full of pills.
"This one is for my heart, this one is for my kidneys, this one is for the side effects which that one creates, this one is so I can sleep after taking that one, and this one is so I can still take a shit after ingesting all of my 'medicine.' "

Status
Not open for further replies.