PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Hello,

I have read in many threads about aging tobacco where people warn that opening a jar of aging tobacco will stop the aging process. Is it correct to assume that once the jar is resealed the aging process will continue from the point at which it was stopped by opening the jar? E.g., a jar has aged for two years, it is opened and then closed, it continues to age unopened from that point for another two years at which point it will be tobacco that has aged for four years?

Sorry if this post seems a bit thick, but people warn about stopping the aging process as if opening the jar terminates everything, but it seems to make sense that when the jar is reclosed aging continues from the point at which it was briefly interrupted, yes?.......so, what is the harm in doing this?

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Aging doesn't start again until the anaerobic condition is achieved in the jar and there is no way of guessing how long that will take.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Hmmm...it's akin to aging wine, I suppose.

So, if one were to buy a pound or more of tobacco for both aging and for regular use, the best practice would be to divide it into a jar dedicated for aging and another jar for dipping into for smoking regularly. I guess one could do a series of jars, chronologically working down the line so as allow more portions to age until one gets to them. Is this how it is done?
Hi Neil,

I posted this before I saw your post and link....thank you!

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Kane, if I could do it all again I would jar everything in half pint jars no matter how much I had. That way I could open one to smoke without stopping the aging for the rest.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
daimyo, that is what I was considering, vs. putting a lb. or so into one large jar. Does it matter if aging is done to a larger mass, or is the same results for smaller portions as in 1/2 pint jars?
Thank you

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I think as Mr. Pease was saying their will be different results but the biggest one will be letting in air. I have some baccy sitting in quart jars but when I finally pop the lid, there's no way I am smoking it all, so I will have to remove some and reseal. I would much prefer to leave 3 or 4 jars sealed and just pop one to smoke.

I keep my more-than-one-bowl-a-day tobaccos in 8oz jars which holds about 2-3 oz of tobaccos, and my maybe-one-a-day blends in the 4oz jars, which holds 1-1.5oz of tobacco. I sometimes pack even less in the jars, because I have read that the more oxygen the more the effects of the aging, and I do get more plume faster on packing it the way. Whatever the magic bugs, enzymes, or tobacco gnomes are doing in those jars, the proof is in the pudding.
I don't like big jars or tightly packed jars. It's just giving up the golden egg for being cheap, IMO. But, once I pop the jar, I pour the tobacco into an old tin to carry with me. The jar immediately gets washed and readied for the next bulk purchase.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
putting a lb. or so into one large jar

My word, why??? Are you just wanting to store it, or actually "age" it? And, are we talking about a Virginia?
No, for aging it. I am buying a lb. bag of Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian and some Balkan Supreme to age, but will reserve a bit to smoke. Probably will do this periodically as I come across tobaccos that I really like . Not Virginia tobacco right now, but does it make a difference?

Btw, that article is very good, should be required reading.

Give it a shot. I'll be anxious to hear what happens.

Virginias and VaPers seem to see the most effects of aging. All of the blends will change somewhat with age, but only these seem to really have predictable and repeatable results from the process.
In trying some aged GLP latakia blends, I can't tell the difference in a ten year old and fresh. But, I do notice the effects on Virginias. But, YMMV

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
I agree with cosmic, VAs age the best from what I can see. I have Sam Gawiths FVF in a small mason jar for the past year, opened and closed it plenty of times and te flakes have sugar crystals all over them..
that being said I have other jars of english blends "aging" and from what I can readily see they look the same.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
The opening and closing of a jar, if it's one or a 100 times, does not stop time from passing. The tobacco is always aging no matter the atmosphere around it. That's all I have to say about that. :roll:

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
I'm usually kicking around another forum, but that site is down right now!
Anyone have any thoughts about using CO2 (like from melted dry ice) to replace the oxygen in a jar, to get it back to an anaerobic state more quickly?

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Mcitinner1, no one is saying the tobacco isn't older but tobacco sitting around, such as bulk blends, and tobacco aging the way people are discussing it is not the same thing. Ancient Imperial comes to mind, all the tobacco in it is at least 30 years old but it has never aged as a blend and has no plume. The flavors do not marry together the way a well aged blend does and the constituents have not aquired that magical flavor, it is most notably absent in the 40 year old Virginias. Luckily I got to try some for a pitance.

forest7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
I do really wonder how the tobacco factory aging all their tobacco? May be put on the warehouse shelf?

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Plume is not unverifiable and tobacco blenders have been at this for centuries. You can even see the difference anaerobic aging has on Virginias. While perhaps not perfectly quantifiable, I think it's a bit of a stretch to claim it's not happening. But if you're sure I'm happy to trade brand new tins for well aged ones any day of the week.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Soy, I was hasty in reading your post and responded inappropriately. I should avoid posting while in a hurry. While I do value the advice of folks like Greg Pease and assume he is speaking from experience, I do understand what you are saying. My apologies.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Great article Neil. Thanks for posting the link.
I still have one question since we're on the topic. How loose or tight should the jars be packed to achieve maximum benifit of aging?

I've always packed the jars tight leaving almost no air space. For example, I've packed a few 1/4 quart jars with a 1/4 pound of tobacco. It takes a little work, but you can make it fit.
So loose fill with some air space or tight pack and no air space?

Status
Not open for further replies.