The Ebay Junk Hunt Scavenger Survey Show...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
...with yer humble host MLC. :puffy:
:P

I'm an eBay junkie.
I've sold some stuff on the Bay recently and built up a good cushion of P/P balance, so I decided to go ahead and throw the wild dice and get this book that I've eyeballed; all the other copies I've seen are from a seller in France who wants mucho moola --- although I'd rather have an edition from the 20's-30's due to my sandblast fascination, I'm hoping this 1910 edition will at least have some good baccy stuff innit, and I'll finally be able to accurately gauge if I should exert my energies to seek these out in the future...call me crazy, because yes, am I.
Trade Marks Journal 1910 (1) No's 1658-1683 (Unknown - 1910)
+
+​
I'm finally to the point where I know what I like shape-wise and can restrain myself even if I'm attracted to a very good blast. In the past I would have bought this just because it's a very fine example of a nice blast, but probably would have rarely actually smoked it. I feel like my green horns are getting a little less green these days...

Vintage Estate Iwan Ries Bantams 544R sandblasted pipe
+
+​
On another note, I made an offer on this interesting pipe - $18.29 is what I submitted and I was declined LOL It's cool but I already got one and mine even has a stamping which sez "Elf London", nifty 'lil buggers, these...

Vintage UNUSUAL CHURCH WARDEN BRIAR PIPE c1970
+
+​
It's fun watching the tall boy of Ye Olde Signe currently on auction keep climbing into the stratosphere.
And,

I don't think I'll be spoiling this auction for anyone because the 'Zance is so heavily looked for so probably already everybodies seen it, but wow, it's the earliest example I've ever seen and it just looks wonderful in an elegant and understated way...

1980s Esoterica Penzance Tobacco 2 oz Tin * Full and Sealed
+
+​
And,

this old Bell's Cut Cake is cool, but overpriced. I must admit that I was stoked to see the seller had linked to one of my posts here on the PipesMag forums!

Very RARE Unopened SEALED Vintage BELL'S CUT CAKE Tobacco TIN Blended THREE NUNS
+
+​
This tin here is a real true beauty, and that price was actually a bargain!

HARVEY'S DIAMOND JUBILEE FLAKE TOBACCO TIN 1857 - 1897
Here's an actual advert for it from 1897!

a9fcQwd.png

+
+​
But what of this Old Judge with the quite insane B-I-N price of $4,999.99?

Yikes!

OLD JUDGE Goodwin Smoking Tobacco * 1890 era N172 cigarette brand UNOPENED pack
I don't know how rare they are, but wow, that price is nutz. I think it's interesting that it's a BAT product from wayback, but I think perhaps the seller is misreading the tax stamp - claiming age as 1890's era, "The pack is in fabulous condition for being 125 years old.", anybody here familiar with the old American stuff and if packs like this were around during that time period?
+
+​
Wot?

John Cotton got no love!

I almost got this but decided against it, I think it's pretty sweet though...

Vintage John Cotton of Edinburgh Acrylic Tobacco Store Sign
+
+​
"Stale & Completely Unusable."

Love that description!

Tin Vintage Sobranie Tobacco Smoking Mixture Full but Stale & Unusable
+
+​
Yes or no?
No.
SUPER NICE STERLING SILVER ALFRED DUNHILL LONDON YES NO DECISION COIN WITH BOX
+
+​
Something about the old Dunhills with horn stems are very appealing, a shame the pix weren't better, looked to be in very fine order...

Vintage Dunhill Shell Estate Pipe patent no 417674/34 Briar Pipes
+
+​
Extremely cool and rarely seen Rattray's pipe from Perth.

Smooth, so no interest from me.

Scarce though!

RATTRAY'S PIPE Straight Grain Tobacco Smoking PERTH SCOTLAND
+
+​
Almost bid on this Weingott only to fill a gap in my British Blast collection, not seen very often, but I resisted...

VINTAGE WEINGOTT LONDON IMPORTED BRIAR TOBACCO SMOKING ESTATE PIPE
+
+​
Odd things I'd love to have, but don't want to pay for...
I'd love to have this print because I've used it here as my avatar for so long, but geez, for that price, forget about it!

1954 Print Will's Cut Golden Bar Tobacco French Games Advertisement Smoking
+
+​
A very odd book indeed.
Decimal Currency for Retailers in Tobacco by -PB
+
+​
This 'lil guy is pretty damn cool looking I think!
RARE ANTIQUE AMERICAN 1920'S WOODED SAILOR PIPE HOLDER ADVERTISING PIECE
+
+​
"A Product Of The Master Mind"
Yes, I would smoke those ciggies! I seem to recall a Michael Caine heist movie where he was smoking these, for some reason I've always been curious about this brand.
Senior service tin 50cigarettes sealed vintage
+
+​
Neat stuff this is here!
Simplicissimus born in 1961, 25 magazines tied to the book, to tobacco box
+
+​
Finally,

and lastly,

this old motorbike grabs my gonads!
1971 BSA 500SS Cafe Racer
I've never owned a motorcycle, but I have ridden them. The BSA above is probably hipster trendy or something I dunno, but that cafe racer style has always appealed to me, even though they don't look too comfortable, and it'd probably be wiser for me to get an old Honda tricked out Brit style, both for reliability and cheaper parts. I've always heard that those old Brit bikes are a pain to maintain, but the authentic article is hard to beat for the sheer hotdiggity damn coolness factor!
- - -​

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
A few observations:
1. I now know where you got your avatar. (And yes it's a cartoon!) :)
2. The guy selling Harvey's Diamond Jubilee doesn't know how to read. It's 1837, not 1857.
3. Interesting book about the L.S.D. changeover in 1971 to L.p. I wonder why tobacco dealers would need a special edition?
4. That Old Judge pack is most certainly NOT from the 1890's. If it were, it might be worth the price to have the chance at finding a pristine N172 baseball card. But there's no way this pack is from that era. I couldn't find a quick internet pic of an Old Judge pack from that era but I did find their sister brand, Dog's Head. The packs looked like this in that era. Side note: I have a replica of a vintage Dog's Head advertising sign hanging in my shed.
202.jpg

5. Here's the definitive book on Old Judge baseball cards.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1886-1890-Goodwin-Co-OLD-JUDGE-Baseball-Cards-459-page-Large-Hardbound-Book-NIB-/360759605790?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53fef2ba1e

May 31, 2012
A few observations:
1. I now know where you got your avatar. (And yes it's a cartoon!)
Well played sir,

well played.

:clap:

:D
edit,

I just had to quickly respond because that tickled me pink,

all the other stuff you wrote is good info and right now I'm in the process of reading it...
:idea:

May 31, 2012
Damn man!
Dogs Head is spectacular!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I cannot believe I ain't seen that one yet!
Thanks for sharing,

and the sign you got sounds supercool,

I love the graphics!

3. Interesting book about the L.S.D. changeover in 1971 to L.p. I wonder why tobacco dealers would need a special edition?
I dunno, I've always been puzzled with the olde English currencies,

and I haven't really researched it much because like Butthead, or was it Beavis?, I'm at war with numbers LOL mathematics and myself just don't get along and I grow wearisome pretty quickly trying to calculate such stuff.

But I'm very happy to learn a the term "L.S.D. changeover" (pounds/shillings/pence?) :D sounds like they were tryin' to make everything easier or more simple for the trippin' hippies or somethin'! LOL
That baseball book looks great!

I ain't never explored that particular area, but man they do look beautiful!
Now,

here's a damn cartoon.

I'm so thankful that I grew up with stuff like this,

Ted Turner's SuperStation channel 17 always played the great old stuff and was an enriching resource of wonderment --- I credit the old cartoons with giving me my deep appreciation of jazz.
A large part of my education comes from watching cartoons.
I mostly relate to early Daffy Duck.
God bless the fine folks who made this sorta stuff!
This particular toon has some damn'd amazing scat innit,

diggit.
A very fine production and a great example of how music can be such a powerful cultural thang.
:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBtjfadiyfk

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Well, stupid me, after finally looking at the auction more closely, I just realized something about that Old Judge pack - It's pipe tobacco!
When I saw "Old Judge" and "N172", my mind immediately locked in on the cigarette packs.
So, what I'll say is that I'm not sure what era the Old Judge pipe tobacco pack was made, I supposed it could be the 1890's.
However, as far as I know, only the cigarette packs contained cards. And, I notice the seller isn't saying there's a possibility you may get a card, he's just saying that this pack is from the same era as the cigarette packs with cards.
Sounds like he's just trying to cash in on the name recognition, or maybe dupe someone who didn't read the whole thing clearly.
My guess is that this pack is worth a couple of hundred dollars at best.

May 31, 2012
Ah,

I'm late to the game here.
What you were trying to tell me is that the old packs from that era have an inherent high value because there may be the possibility of scoring a super-rare old baseball card!
Duh,

took me a minnit,

but now reading yer last post,

I can grasp what you're saying.
Some of those old baccy cards blow my mind as far as what ppl pay for 'em,

Ty Cobb straight outta Augusta Ga. gets the biggo buckies everytime.
I know naught bout BB,

although I do have a Bob Horner autographed jersey from when we went to a Braves game long ago.
Thanks for all the additional info!

:!:

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Great! I love those old 1930's and 40's cartoons as well! Sadly, many of them are banned now from broadcast due to political correctness.
If you want to see entire sets of early tobacco cards, check out the gallery of this site:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/526604/
While the N172 set is maybe the most historically significant, many other sets are far more interesting and beautiful due to the wonderful 19th century lithography.
Here are a few examples:
j21.jpg

j15.jpg

j4.jpg

j38.jpg

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
I was in England at the time of the currency changeover. The level of confusion was astonishing, although I can't imagine that the work of tobacco dealers would require a separate book.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I did a little research and I gather that publications were made for different retailers so that they would have a better understanding of how to price their goods in the new decimal system. The difference being that different retailers had products that were priced x pence per oz., or x pence per ft. etc.
Seems like it would have been easy enough for any retailer to figure all prices in old pence, then divide by 2.4 to get the value in new pence but I guess not.
2s6d = 30 old pence = 12.5 new pence etc.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
You should publish you "Interesting Tobacciana Auctions" one a week as a regular feature
I would vote for that. You are a treasure trove of information, Troy. Reading these posts always causes me to fire up another bowl.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
What catches your eye never fails to fascinate me!
That BSA made my heart stop a beat or two, it probably should have brought $7-$8k.
$_57.JPG

This auction had my interest for a short while, until the price skyrocketed.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/351414568788?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

May 31, 2012
I was just going to post about that pipe Al!

I thought you'd have an eye on it for sure,

it had some really beautiful birdseye on the bottom!
Y.O.S. ended @ $421

Sealed tin of Dunhill's Ye Olde Signe 1970's Tall Boy
For some reason,

I tossed a couple of bids out on this without even looking it up, and it's R/R instead of Flake, and it's late production made by Manchester instead of CWS, but it is pretty scarce and not oft seen...
Sealed tin of Mahogany
...while looking at my account this morning I was somewhat surprised to learn that I won, I paid for it then trotted over to tobaccoreviews.com to see if they had it listed, um, well, the reviews are generally negative LOL but I hold out hope because many of the trad Brit scented baccy is very polarizing but I like much of it --- Please let Tantric be right on this, I like his review the best! :)
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1173/manchester-tobacco-mahogany
Ep7XSDC.png
And,

I now regret not bidding on this oldie, would have been great to have another Ripple...

BBB Own Make Hesson 1920's
:puffy:
I'll probably try to do this ebay survey like bi-monthly or something,

it's fun stuff.

May 31, 2012
...and to continue:
We start off this week with a wonderfful DEATH ROOT,

I enjoy stuff like this...

THIS PIPE IS OUTSTANDING AND RARE

MADE BY HAND OF DEATH ROOT

Note: I realize that the sellers mother tongue is not English and I'm not making fun of the individual.

English is a confusing language with many absurd layers where just a small anomaly can drastically change the meaning perspective, like how DEATH ROOT instead of DEAD ROOT triggers a grin because it alters the context to an extent, I shouldn't even have to be adding this disclaimer but these are the times we're living in - it flusters me that there's so much overly acute sensitivity these days as concerned to sociolinguistic applications (see Seinfeld's recent observations) and how silly little jargon so enthralls a certain segment that they've dogmatically locked themselves in a very sad cage, one example being the people who use the term "micro-aggression" and seem to think they have a firm grasp on reality, when in fact, they do not, they live in a theoretical lalaland, thriving on false constructs and constantly using faulty logic, etc etc Rant Over
GREAT VINTAGE 1982 ALFRED DUNHILL DR ( DEATH ROOT ) * STRAIGHT GRAIN PIPE
+

+​
Another interesting Dunhill,

the very scarce, but ugly to my eyes, Cocktail pipe,

only a completist could love it...

...but maybe it's just me,

what do you think?

Is it a desirable pipe?
DUNHILL A "COCKTAIL" PIPE + A "COCKTAIL" PIPE BY dunill BOX SCARCE UNIQUE MODEL
+

+​
Yet more Dunhill related stuff,

loosely, but these things were in the old catalogs.

I did a brief post about them a while back:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/what-in-the-hell-is-up-with-the-dunhill-nutbirds
This NutBird went for truly mad money!
Totally nutty!

:!:
VERY STYLISH ART DECO DARK CHERRY RED AMBER BAKELITE FATURAN ? BIRD DISH - RARE
+

+​
Here's an extremely scarce old Balkan Sobranie tobacco jar,

the seller is correct that it dates to the 30's as we can pinpoint the timeframe by the address,

a very nice example...
RARE VINTAGE THE BALKAN SOBRANIE SMOKING MIXTURE TOBACCO JAR POTTERY FIELDINGS
+

+​
John Cotton has a strong following and never fails to get good money,

this one looks to be in very fine condition...
A SUPERB UNOPENED TIN OF JOHN COTTON'S FINEST SMOKING TOBACCO Nos 1 & 2 MEDIUM
+

+​
Here's an example of how to find a $30 Dunhill,

use your eyeballs!

I was out of town and offline so didn't bid,

but someone got a pretty good deal I think.

The quality blast of the Dunhill Shell just pops and easily outshines lesser efforts,

look at the last photo in zoom and note the circled 4 with an S,

a telltale indicator.

It looks like an LB, but I'm not certain...
Four Vintage Signed Wood Tobacco Estate Pipes
+

+

Not too bad of a deal,

300g sleeve of old production Orlik Dark Kentucky...
3X100 GRAM ORLIK DARK KENTUCKY PIPE TOBACCO
+

+​
A beautiful old matchbox complete with intact matches that look great,

I was interested until the big bucks came in,

lovely to look at!
Salmon & Gluckstein Ltd Matchbox with full contents
+

+​
This cased set of old chubby Loewes were quite well-smoked, but still very desirable,

why don't they make pipes like this anymore?!?!?!?
RARE OLD PAIR LOEWE & CO LONDON SILVER MILITARY BIT TIGHT GRAIN IN CASE
+

+​
A Parker cavalier,

I love the old Parkers and was highly interested in this one,

I only resisted because of the somewhat severe crack and lackluster blast,

very very cool though regardless I think!
PARKER SUPER BRIAR BARK SANDBLAST CAVALIER SHAPE BRIAR PIPE IN VERY GOOD CONDITI
+

+​
A really really sweet Bing here,

and handmade by Ed Koplin no less!
Rare Ed Kolpin ED’S HANDMADE PIPE Never Used tinder box original $.99 start
+

+​
Canadian tin collectors are similar to Australian tin collectors in that they bid fiercely and are highly interested in their own market made stuff...
MACDONALD'S SUPERIOR Montreal Twist CANNISTER TOBACCO TIN Montreal, Canada.
+

+​
My favorite American tin,

simply gorgeous!
Electric Mixture RARE square corner tobacco tin Cigar Pipe Telephone Line Lady's
+

+​
Great deal on an Ogden's mirror,

possibly a repro though, would have to see the backside to determine if it was an original.

Shipping something like that across the pond?

Would be insane!
Ogdens Flake Advertising Large Pub Mirror Featuring Twin Babies Rare Item
+

+​
Both sad and glad to see this old Super Sport bring decent money,

glad because I have an unsmoked example (different shape),

but sad because I would have loved to have this fine perfect-looking billiard!
Super Sport By Comoy London Made Briar Estate Pipe.
+

+​
I almost bought this ashtray...
Vtg 1970 Chadwick-Miller, Inc. Ceramic Brown & Gold Pipe Ash Tray - NIB - Japan
+

+​
Finally,

here's something I actually did win,

and I couldn't believe I won it!

I understand the pix didn't show enough detail so maybe that's why nobody else bid,

but it has arrived and it's mint!

A glorious puffy top!

I'm super stoked on this.

The auction ended when I was out of town working and I didn't think I'd win anyway because my high bid was like $35 --- it ended on Mon. and I didn't check until Thurs. when I had to ask my boss if I could use his laptop (I'm a gadgetless Luddite 8O ) and I was astounded to see that I had won and then paid for it - feeling bad to be somewhat late with payment because usually I'm very prompt --- I was also glad the boss didn't ridicule me for my odd tastes as usually such an oppo goes thru the roof with endless ribbing and jokes, but he was very cool about it all...
Vintage Antique 1920's Rare Mick McQuaid 2 Oz Cut Plug Tobacco Tin Liverpool
:puffy:​

thefalcon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2012
Congrats on your win Troy, sounds like this should be right down your alley my friend! :D
Cheers,--Eric

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The Death-Root Dunhill was purchased by a forum member. There is a thread here on the pipe.

Someone suggested it was a replacement stem? If so, it sure fooled me.
$_57.JPG

I was watching the Super Sport, but at that final price, just a spectator.

Status
Not open for further replies.