PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Anyone own one or know anything about them? I am restoring one. I'm pretty sure the guy who owned it never ever cleaned it. I managed to get the collection chamber open and there was what looked like a cotton ball inside. Is that normal? Does Dunhill sell them with that in there? Or is that an addition by the previous owner? Any thoughts would be helpful.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
That's funny you ask about the cotton ball. I restored a GBD Cavalier not long ago and the reservoir cap would not close all the way. It had something inside like a cotton ball but with thicker fibers. I also wondered if it was done just by this one owner or something commonly done to soak the crud.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've seen Foggy's pipes, I don't believe he has a Cavalier (he may have at one time).
I have a GBD Cavalier, but it is unsmoked, so I haven't lit it up yet. Mine has a briar cap.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It seems surprising that someone would buy a Dunhill and then never clean it, while apparently smoking it a lot to get it really dirty. But there is an infinity of human behavior, I guess. Maybe this dates back to the old days when, I've heard, high end Kaywoodies cost more than Dunhills. That long ago.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
Lol :lol:
There is the observation that men tend to go after and acquire many things in their lives that actually enslave them instead of liberate them.
@Shaintiques

Would it be simply that the users of these Cavalier pipes use some absorbent materials to soak up the moisture so when they occasionally open it up to clean it their hands won't be dripping with tar juice? The 'drying chamber' of these Cavalier pipes as well as the reverse / inverted calabash pipes tend to be actually very wet, especially in this and some other cases where the chamber is not made of briar.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yeah I had the same thought about an absorbent material to extend the periods between cleans. Just wasn't sure if it was an addition by the owner or not. I got a few pipes from the same source and the cavalier though badly oxidized and full of yumminess was no where near as disgusting as the pipes with cake build up. Looks like the cavalier was smoked but not much. Some of the other pipes were almost smoked shut and the oxidation was extremely deep. That being said the man had good taste in pipes and they are cleaning up fabulously. I restored an Astley's Canadian from the lot, 8 inches long, and smoked it for the first time last night, great smoker and a real beauty!

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Mine had a cotton ball in it when I got it too. I was at first afraid it was a spider egg... gave me the willies.

Status
Not open for further replies.