PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
I’m not one for taking Drs advise. We’re all gonna die of something. And I’m going out eating and drinking the things I enjoy. I’ve watched friends and family members die even though they were taking the Drs orders.
Had a yearly physical three years ago. Blood work showed low potassium. Doc says.
“I want you to take a potassium pill.”
I never took the pill. Didn’t change my diet. Went back the following year for my annual physical. Doc says.
“Your potassium level looks good.”
I’m on a pill for high cholesterol, been taking it for years. Last year Doc says.
“Your cholesterol level is high. Told me what to eat and not to eat.
I didn’t change a thing. Eggs, cheese, pizza, wings, pepperoni, potato chips, cookies, alcohol, were all consumed in vast quantities.
Went to my annual physical last week. Doc says.
“Wow. Your cholesterol level is excellent. Don’t change what your doing.”
“I don’t plan on it.” I told her.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I take two prescriptions and they seem to keep troubles in check. And I take some supplements. I think your sticking with the cholesterol Rx is good. A few concessions to the miracles of modern medicine aren't bad, even if only for the placebo effect.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Stay the course, Frank. I hate doctors. Most of them don't do right by me. Sneaky bastards. It is all about them and the insurance company, not you. My buddy's father or grandfather was a doctor at the Mayo Clinic. He said that eggs and cheese and milk are all good for you. Whole eggs with the yokes. How could it be otherwise? How could REAL FOOD that nature provides be worse for you than some artificial, reconstituted, modified crap and pills.
What animal of the kingdom of Earth eats all kinds of fake crap?
Best health advice is to be happy, enjoy life, eat well, exercise and get plenty of rest. You go when its time to go.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
My last Physical this year, Doctors name is Bradley, Bradley you've missed 3 Appoints, do you know we charge you for that, my reply money well spent.bradley says to Bradley care to say why you've missed. You wouldn't believe me, Dr try me, my dog got under the house and chewed my hot water pipes, water everywhere. All three times, yes, Dr I don't believe you, I say then I guess you don't believe I smoke the pipe. He shakes his head and looks at my wife, How long you've been married to him. 51 yrs my wife says, hes driving you Crazy he asks, no she says he drove the dog crazy. :rofl: Frank we are in the same boat.

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
My dear old friend at church was told to stop eating butter, eggs, cheese and take statins for cholesterol. This made his legs cramp and caused other side effects. He stopped the pills and ate whatever he liked. He did die two years ago - he was 95.

Good one... a buddy of mine was on the latest in cholesterol pills. And, we would have lunch together occasionally, and he would bring his Cheerios for lunch, because he was trying to get as much oatmeal through his veins as possible. It was nature's sandpaper on the arteries... blech.

Anyways, his cholesterol continues to go up after a couple of years. Then he says "screw it" and tosses them and starts to eat what he enjoys, and stops spending all that money of pills. And, lo and behold, as Frank says, his cholesterol makes a huge tumble down to normal.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I once talked to a 10-year-old mountain man who lived in a cabin. I asked him what was his secret to longevity. "Stay away from doctors."
Now, I'm not telling you to not go to your doctor. But the cool mountain mornings and a warm house was all this old fellow needed.
Cut his own wood, too.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
I will edit what I previously wrote.
I do take Docs advise, but to a point. A few meds and that's it. Honestly, I think I take them more for peace of mind than I do for the cure. I'd like to get off of them completely, but not quite there yet.
BTW, my mother and father cooked with lard and bacon grease, they both died at 90.
Mso, right on about that placebo effect.
toobfreak
Best health advice is to be happy, enjoy life, eat well, exercise and get plenty of rest. You go when its time to go.
tbradsim1 -
How long you've been married to him. 51 yrs my wife says, hes driving you Crazy he asks, no she says he drove the dog crazy. [:rofl:] Frank we are in the same boat.
Brad, you and I should get together with our wives...can you imagine the stories they would tell about us? :crazy:

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
It's shocking how little medicine really knows. I've had LOTS of medical procedures which require general anesthesia and I've always been fascinated but the stuff. That something hits your bloodstream and knocks you out so completely that you can be sliced open... it's truly amazing. I've asked numerous anesthesiologists how it works and got the same answer each time. Seems they haven't the slightest how it works, only that it does. It's a complete mystery. Weird.

It's entirely possible that being told you have a problem causes your body to correct it. It's an insane idea, but not beyond the realm of possibility.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Funny old world when it comes to this type of stuff. If we are worried about what we ate and drank it would certainly make for a boring world!

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Let's not forget the Dr who tells the patient you need to exercise and start eating better. He/she says 'Nonsense', they die a few years later of a heart attack. Children cry and are sad.
The Dr asks any history of cancer? He/she says, 'Yes, mother & father & uncles and grand parents'. Do you smoke? 'Yes', You need to stop. 'Nonsense'. A few years later cancer. Children cry and are sad.
Sometimes people need to listen to the Dr's advice.

I apologize! I'm trying to stay out of non pipe discussions. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.