PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
After about 10 months of part time pipe smoking I think you start to notice more of the details. The process of packing, lighting and puffing becomes pretty simple. In the last few weeks I have noticed a few bowls where they started off with a good draw and then in the last 1/3 of the bowl the draw really tightened up. I have used the spike of the Czech tool occasionally to probe down the side of the bowl to create more airways (heard about that on the radio show). However the last 2 times that happened I just decided to keep on going and after a few minutes of puffing the draw opens up again. I guess I am burning through a tight pack or tobacco that has expanded during the smoke.
Have others had this experience?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sounds like you may be tamping a bit heavy and thermal expansion as the ember hits the tight spot is loosening it up again.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
My tamping skills still suck - that, and I'm always distracted - so I get a tight draw after mid-bowl all the time, but the blockage is usually at the bottom of the chamber. Running a pipe cleaner up to clear the airway usually solves the problem for me. Don't know if that's the right way, but it works for me. No more pipes that don't pass a cleaner for me, that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.