The Doodler Score/Let me see your Doodler (Pic Heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
First off, I would like to mention I saw the patent for this a week before I found them. Furthermore, a thanks goes to Wes of Stanford,KY if you ever read this. I walked up, guy had pipes in hand...so I of course started talking to him. I told him what little I knew about them. "The Doodler, National Briar Pipe Co., Tracy Mincer, Good/Bad stories about them. He told me I could have them...I told him that he found them first, if he wanted them not to worry. Then after refusal, I asked if he would like 1-2 of them and we just split it, again he told me to take them he liked bent pipes anyways. What really got us was the $6 price tag....$18 for three almost unsmoked pipes. The bowls had a little carbon layer inside, but not much at all. Two are stamped The Doodler Imported Briar, one is not. They are different sizes, different stem sizes, different groove sizes, and different designs...but all the same style. Anyone have any idea about why they are different lengths? Are they valuable? Should I smoke it...have heard about them being troublesome....have some..."Show me your Doodler" :rofl:

1122151514-02_zpsdjgqswt2.jpg

1122151512-00_zpspazlovlv.jpg

1122151513-03_zpsdyabtxu8.jpg

1122151514-00_zpstlm3a3dz.jpg

1122151514-01_zps0b4zehol.jpg

1122151512-02_zpsi3w0015f.jpg

The chambers all pretty much look like this.

1122151512-03_zpsvlufpqeb.jpg

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Other than they were made by National Pipe in Jersey City, NJ I couldn't find anything about them but for $18 you did OK. You can always use them to test blends.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I've seen them sell for 50 dollars or more when they're in good shape. I'm not a collector, so it may depend on the exact design and/or date. But those are very cool. Can't beat that price.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
I looked for a while again, was a fluke that I found the Patent Design and now have lost it, maybe will find it later. Thanks guys!

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Thanks for the link, looking at it again caused me to notice the star. Is the star on the stem post Tracy Mincer? While these pipes look similar...they all seem to be quite different. Stem sizes, length of shank, even the way they are carved around the bowl (still keeping the general concept) They are interesting to say the least.
Thanks for sharing tuold "Two's company, three's a crowd"

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Laughing pretty hard about the word play available here. "Just wondering when the right time to fiddle with my Doodler is"

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Dave Whitney (Pipes by Whitney) has done a bit of research on the Doodler if I remember correctly. You can contact him through the Grabow forum.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Smoked one of these tonight. Was pretty excited about it. It was the longest of the three...and might I add....a fantastic pipe. I actually almost smoked it to the bottom, which is unusual for me. I smoked H&H Frenchy's Sunzabitches...which this batch is pretty soaked in bourbon..and had no problems. The fact that it was pretty dry absolutely amazed considering. Now it's dedicated to the tobacco. 1 down, 2 to go.
On a side note, I had to clean them pretty well as one...had something white in the chamber that looked pretty gross. So, after doing so with a little alcohol on a paper towel...i noticed in two of them (would post a pic if I could get it) have indentations inside the chamber. It's like, two half circles spaced a bit apart with a circle in the middle of them. They are too perfect, and in similar places inside the chamber. I was wondering...can anyone explain this too me? A tool to hold the pipe while they worked maybe?

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
There's also a look-alike called a "Holeysmoke".
The Holeysmoke was made by Claude Stuart who worked with Tracy Mincer. After the Mincers sold The Doodler to National Briar Pipe Co. in 1960, Claude Stuart continued to make replicas of The Doodler using the Holeysmoke brand name.
Logos Site

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Certain these pipes were unsmoked. Only one is still :) I didn't realize the black in the bowl was a coating...haven't really owned new pipes up until recently. Still enjoying them!

Status
Not open for further replies.