PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
NB: This is not recommended. In fact, it is recommended to not do so!

Loading in the Dishwasher.

Left to right: Butz-Choquin; Missou Meer; Parker Hungarian; Pipe of the Month (?)
6J6kCAn.jpg

After the run through
wpFPI2G.jpg

Drying on the counter

mJ0oNFr.jpg

After a tiny bit of mineral oil on the stem and rim.
150GeRi.jpg

It loosened the shellac on the cob, but all pipes except the cob have been smoked, with a super clean presentation.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I read in "Endurance" that Shackleton had the men boil their pipes to get the tobacco essence out of them so they could soak grass boot liners in the "tea" to exyend their tobacco since it was running low.
If you can boil them, you can run them thriugh the dishwasher.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, indeed. Boiled boot linings with a hit of dottle or cake flavor in your evening bowl. YUM! Sounds worse than Sherlocks EMP!
Another sacrifice for science!

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
"Boiled Boot Liner" could be a good name for a blend. But I suppose that belongs on another thread.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Good observation. No, didn't get to the drain cycle, as you noticed, lots of suds and water there. I am not real savvy with this DW. In fact, I had just cleaned out the drain pipe by back flushing, and wanted to run it to see it if was fixed. Learned that if I turned it off completely, then started it up, the first step was to drain the sump. It was a learning experience! Oh, you can also see ash in the first photo. Didn't scrape each pipe before loading, so there's some ash and dottle from one of them.
Ash's influence at work again!
Yes, the king of non-destructive testing! We need more men- or women- to try their own harsh experiments.

I have dropped two hot pipes (that were being smoked) into 75º water. An accident to be sure, but no damage after drying. Not real scientific, either, but it's two anecdotes for the price of one.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
It's possible that with the right practitioner, hypnotic regression might reveal the source (whether in this life or a previous one) of this water obsession.
If you've ever experienced any missing time you may have been abducted and taken to an undersea UFO base.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'm aware of what a dishwasher, primarily the detergent, does to the edge of knives. I wonder what long term dish washing of pipes will do to fit and finish?
Probably not anything good, but I am done with the dishwasher unless the lady of the house needs fixing. The dishwasher, that is.
That unit has an interesting tower, who makes it? What were you trying to fix?
It's a Miele. I fixed the clog in the drain that was making the overflow gizmo next to the fixture spew water.
And no, no rinsing aid!
It's possible that with the right practitioner, hypnotic regression might reveal the source (whether in this life or a previous one) of this water obsession.
If you've ever experienced any missing time you may have been abducted and taken to an undersea UFO base.
That sounds about right. Funny, raised in The Central Prairie, but took to water like a duck. First swimming and diving, then sailing. Now I live near the ocean, not far from a river.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
They have bases underwater?!! F**k! Now I can't go swimming!
Controversial footage alleged to be of an actual alien leading two MJ12 agents into one of these bases:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MxL0Gc58zY

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Next episode, jpmcwjr dons his rain suit and pushes his shopping cart full of briars through the gas station car wash...
:nana:
jay-roger.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Now I live near the ocean, not far from a river.
I can hear your pipes yearning to be taken to the river.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anjT71N4PGM
Next episode, jpmcwjr dons his rain suit and pushes his shopping cart full of briars through the gas station car wash...
He'll have to take his meers through separately for the hot wax treatment.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Edge of ...? Not sure how to answer.
Like where the bowl goes from top to side. Were any 90° angles like that rounded? Any pitting? Ran a wooden bowl through the dishwasher a few years back and it pitted the hell out of the rim and rounded it.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I only wash my pipe cleaners in the dishwasher. I use only the Cascade pods and also pour a little Downy fabric softener directly onto the pipe cleaners before washing. That way, they get really fluffy and soft, which my fine pipes seem to appreciate. One word of caution; make sure you wait until the pipe cleaners have totally cooled off after the washing and drying cycles. The little metal rods in the cleaners get really hot and you can toast your fingers if you pull them out of there too soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.