PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
When traveling across the country over the years I've been to many of the best barbecue restaurants. But honestly, the BEST I have ever tasted is right from my home town of Syracuse NY. The Dinosaur Barbecue is in my opinion the best of the best. And it is constantly visited by some very prominent people in politics, business, Hollywood and musicians.
It started as a motorcycle clubs catering business. But then due to it's popularity, they turned it into a restaurant.
They also provide "blues" bands from across the country. If you're ever in the area and you like a honky tonk atmosphere with great barbecue, stop by the Dinosaur.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Crazy... Yankees call it barbecue, but the best BBQ is in Hattiesburg Miss, place called Po Boys just out side of Camp Shelby, its not much more than a shack, but best I ever had

Ahhh, nothing beats Dreamland Barbecue, the original, not one of their newer brick buildings. You have to actually drive out to Tuscaloosa, Watermellon Rd, out into the middle of nowhere. A real life shack that has been serving barbeque since 1958. Dogs will follow you from your truck to the shack, begging. And, you only have one choice of food, ribs(slab or half slab), and it comes with a plate of sliced white bread, and you can have whatever you want to drink as long as it comes in a can.
Coach Bear Bryant made this place famous, and that little shack has helicopters that will drop in the field out back to rush orders off around the US. The ribs will literally melt in your mouth.
Their better, newer, bricked buildings with nice tables and more side options found in Birmingham and other of our bigger cities all suck. They don't have that same firepit that has been running 7 days a week, since 1958. To get the real experience you have to drive out into the boonies.
Our second best food is Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur, Alabama, that has perfected the barbecue chicken in whitesauce. While NC and SC were bickering over vinegar verses tomato based sauces, Alabama developed a tangy white sour sauce that will make you slap yo mama. As a kid, I remember my dad waiting in line for an hour after church, where he'd pick up two birds and a gallon of their Brunswick stew. And, Big Bob would be setting at the back corner table, all 350+ lbs, short, white suit. It is rumored that Dukes of Hazard's Boss Hog was modeled after Big Bob, who ruled that county with a corrupt iron fist. Great food though. No one ever said anything bad about his chicken... ever.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
White sauce? Never heard of such. I was born and raised in NC, but even so, I'm of a fairly ecumenical frame of mind, so I might be willing to try it.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
White sauce is indeed an Alabama specialty. Done right it is superb. This is the beauty of Bar-b-Cue. It's very regional and there is something for everyone, grilled meats in Russia and former SSr countries, sate, pulled pork (only with vinegar based sauces). Sweet sauces, sauces with a peppery bite, Jamaican, Austrailian, etc. More hotly debated than pipe blends and brands. I do feel sorry for those who feel there is only one way, charcoal, hardwood, electric, pellet, low and slow, direct, indirect, to cook with fire. They miss so much.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've been to both Dinosaurs, but in that part of NY, I prefer Brooks, neat the baseball hall of fame.
Pierces in VA, above Hampton Roads us awesome.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Did someone say they're barbecuing a dinosaur? Count me in!
10153915_486578194823820_5701078000930000848_n.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Local Smoke in Red Bank, NJ was pretty tasty

http://m.localsmokebbq.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.localsmokebbq.com%2F&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F#2784

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
ssjones -
I've been to both Dinosaurs, but in that part of NY, I prefer Brooks, neat the baseball hall of fame.
I've been to Brooks also. I still prefer the Dinosaur. Brooks is good, but something about the Dino that makes it my number 1.
And yes, the Blues at the Dino is awesome.

csharp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2015
Had Brooks tonight. They do allot of catering. I would have to say I misspent part of my youth at the Dinosaur. It is an eclectic crowd bikers and accountants and accountant bikers.

Status
Not open for further replies.