PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
I realize that by posting this 'rule of thumb' I'm likely to stir up both a little controversy and perhaps some criticism, but I'm going to post this guideline anyway.
I hear a lot of confusion regarding what makes an English an English, a Balkan a Balkan, an Oriental blend an Oriental blend. Of course, pipe recipes aren't that black & white; one can't always stuff every blend into a specific class, but the formula that was given to me (from a man who spent six years w/ Peter Stokkebye) is easy to understand and, more importantly, the most logical system to organize different blends I've yet to come across. Here it is:
Va = Virginia
Va + Perique = Va/Per
Va + Latakia = English
Va + Oriental/Turkish = Oriental
Va + Oriental/Turkish + Latakia = Balkan (possibly w/out Virginia)
Va + Oriental/Turkish + Latakia + Cavendish = Scottish
* depending on the blender Perique or Cavendish may be used to any formula above as a 'condiment'
I'm sure we can all agree to disagree, but this class system has really helped me over the years to study and understand the differences between different blends and blenders.
P.S. When considering the difference between an English and a Balkan, especially an English that has an Oriental presence or a Balkan with a Virginia presence, I find that it makes sense to draw the line between the two depending on how forward the Virginia role is: The more Virginia, the more the blend will fall into an English camp. The less, Balkan.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I've been meaning to search this very thing. With all the baccys out there, I wasn't sure what I'd been smoking, lol. But, I do believe this is a straightforward, basic and logical approach.
Thanks Ted!

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Hey antipodesman, here is what Pipedia.org says about Cavendish...
Cavendish is more a process of curing and a method of cutting tobacco than a type of it. The processing and the cut are used to bring out the natural sweet taste in the tobacco. Cavendish can be produced out of any tobacco type but is usually one of, or a blend of Kentucky, Virginia, and Burley and is most commonly used for pipe tobacco and cigars.

The process begins by pressing the tobacco leaves into a cake about an inch thick. Heat from fire or steam is applied, and the tobacco is allowed to ferment. This is said to result in a sweet and mild tobacco. Finally the cake is sliced. These slices must be broken apart, as by rubbing in a circular motion between one's palms, before the tobacco can be evenly packed into a pipe. Flavoring* is often added before the leaves are pressed. English Cavendish uses a dark flue or fire cured Virginia, which is steamed and then stored under pressure to permit it to cure and ferment for several days or weeks.

There are several colors, including the well-known Black Cavendish, numerous blends, and a wide range of flavors. Modern blends include flavors and ingredients such as cherry, chocolate, coconut, rum, strawberry, vanilla, walnut, and bourbon.

Cavendish tobacco originated in the late 16th century, when Sir Thomas Cavendish commanded a ship in Sir Richard Grenville's expedition to Virginia in 1585, and discovered that by dipping tobacco leaves in sugar it produced a milder and more mellow smoke.

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
And to add to Bubba, some Cavendish style tobaccos can be slightly sweet because of the curing process without necessarily being sweet enough to constitute an aromatic component in a blend.

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
Ted,
I appreciate you sharing your inherited classification system because I can use it. I know Mr. Pease addressed the English/Balkan issue in a previous article but it's more fun or interesting, IMO, if we can classify things for better communications.
I vote that we start using this classification sytem from this point foward. :clap:
All that aside, my big question is: WHERE ARE THE BURLEYS!?!?!?! :wink:

tedswearingen

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2010
Longs, South Carolina
I had thought about that, considering I smoke a lot of burley. I usually just class burley blends the same way most do Virginia/perique: Burley/Virginia, Burley/perique, et cetera. Maybe we should come up with a special name for Virginia/burley/perique blends, of which there are many. In fact, I'm just going to start calling them Canadian blends and we'll see if that catches on!
(Kingfisher: what a great Canadian blend!)

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Ted... Thank you for your clarity of thought.

Your classifications listed above and the subsequent clarifications have added to my understanding of pipe tobaccos, by adding insight and answering some questions that I didn't even know I was asking myself.

Thanks again.

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
My “Canadian” blend tins should arrive today. I can then put some "Canadian" inside a Canadian. Hmmm ... by the sound of it that's a ritual that could bring a whole new audience to pipe smoking. :rofl:

dawk

Might Stick Around
Aug 25, 2010
Hi Ted, thanks for this explanation. As a Newbie to the pipe this will come in handy.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Ahhh! Virgina and perique, Vaper.

just got that, Duhhhh.

Never had it might try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.