PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I learned many new words(none of them repeatable in polite company) in trying to work with Black Palm for the first time. The final result was worth it...but I learned a few lessons along the way.Cutting the end cap was all end grain that is fairly prone to tearout on most woods- this stuff is a nightmare- the secret is to sharpen your tools to a mirror finish...and then sharpen them some more...When you're cutting on the lathe, the only hope is to saturate the surface with CA glue(superglue)and take really light cuts...The stem was much easier because I wasn't dealing with the end grain....Finished it off with a Cumberland stem and a natural finish...

2licwlz.jpg

Fitting the cap

2ezppbm.jpg

Rough shaping complete...

f1xkzk.jpg

b3nb5t.jpg

...and a couple of pics of the finished pipe...

aylgec.jpg

2jxw1.jpg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Wow. Never seen it used that way. Looks great. Do you think it will be stable cut like that?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Zack ... do you put these up for sale online?
That piece really makes me "twitch"! :P

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Thanks guys!
Do you think it will be stable cut like that?
It's been sealed on both ends with CA...and I used a flexible epoxy to secure the cap to the briar to allow some flex between the two materials...

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
It's been sealed on both ends with CA...and I used a flexible epoxy to secure the cap to the briar to allow some flex between the two materials...
Cool. Has anyone that you've seen cut across the grain like that? It's really striking.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Has anyone that you've seen cut across the grain like that?
I haven't...it's probably been done. The biggest problem is getting a piece of black palm thick enough to be able to use the end grain across the cap...

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
Very nice Zak, yes the wood is a bit temperamental to say the least but the rewards.....yes beautiful.

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.