PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I keep meaning to try the Middle Earth tobaccos, but I never seem to remember when I get my tobacco orders in. I'll have to remember next time around. Looks like Longbottom leaf is no longer available.

May 4, 2015
Yeah, Jon David mentioned he lost access to one of the components and was never ever able to find a suitable replacement.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The house tobaccos at the Country Squire are all blended on site. I've tried all of the Middle Earth Series except for Green Dragon. Unfortunately, Longbottom Leaf which he had to discontinue was the best of them.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Has anyone had the Rivendell? Sounds like a very light aromatic, but they don't list any of the component tobacco. Curious if it's Burley based or something else.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Has anyone had the Rivendell? Sounds like a very light aromatic, but they don't list any of the component tobacco. Curious if it's Burley based or something else.

I've smoked it. It is an aromatic. It's a proprietary house blend so they are not going to list all the components.

I suggest you give The Country Squire a call and ask for Jon David Cole. He just bought the shop from the original owner's daughter and was the shop manager and blender before that.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've smoked Rivendell too, and while I find it to be a nice smoke, it was nothing special for me. I much prefer Hunting Creek which is listed as an aromatic but has no specific flavor and is more like the Frog Morton series, or Shortcut to Mushrooms. On their web page they list the tobaccos in it as, smokey cavendish, burley, latakia, and virginia.

May 4, 2015
I've smoked Rivendell too, and while I find it to be a nice smoke, it was nothing special for me.
I agree. Nothing about it is mind blowing, but it's a perfectly serviceable smoke. No bite, and the flavor stays consistent for the whole bowl, which is more than you can say for most aromatics.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I tried Green Dragon, Lighthouse Keeper, Rivendell, Second Breakfast, and Senior Chief, and thought all were very serviceable aros, as Pipesmoking Tom indicated. I posted my reviews at TR if anyone cares to check them out.

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
I know everyone is talking about other tobaccos, but The Squire's "Second Breakfast" is one of my favorite aromatics.

Dec 28, 2015
Thought green dragon was pretty good. I don't smoke it often but it is a very nice all day smoke. Tried Old Toby once. It was like smoking sugar cubes. I threw it in the trash after a half bowl. Stay away from it at costs.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I like their Fleur de Lis and Pirate's Alley Perique Blends. Missed out on Longbottom Leaf though.

May 4, 2015
Baker Street is my fav of their selections. The ratio of Latakia and Perique hits the spot for me from time to time.
Seersucker is a good aromatic when the mood strikes. It's a sour raspberry sort of thing and it is refreshing in hot weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.