The Chuck Norris of Pipe-Tobaccos: What's Yours?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
In response to a thread ("ODF kicked my butt") by Forum member daimyo, I stated in jest that, for him, ODF must be the Chuck Norris of pipe-tobaccos, and this got me to thinking. Probably everyone has smoked one that left you feeling as though you had gone toe-to-toe with Mr. Norris, and with the resultant injuries spanning the gamut from simple hiccups to outright nicotine poisoning. Accordingly, my question: The Chuck Norris of Pipe-Tobaccos: What's Yours?
I'll start by claiming Dunhill's Nightcap. As I stated in my review from 2005 on TobaccoReviews.com: "...My first tryst with this blend occurred in a large, bent, pot-bowled Savinelli. My mouth literally watered as I inhaled the enticing aromas of Latakia and Perique while packing my pipe. The flavor was great at the charring light, and only got better after the second.
"I tend to puff hard, especially with blends that I like, and I LIKED this one. Accordingly, my puffing took on the aspect of a coal-fired locomotive pulling a 100-car-consist up a steep grade. As I rolled the smoke in my mouth it was full and satisfying--to paraphrase Richard Carleton Hacker, like smoking a huge filet mignon.
"About 20 minutes into this ecstatic experience I suddenly began to perspire profusely. Next, the room began to spin and my pulse to race. I had to put down my pipe, have a cold shower, and retire to bed early in order to fight off the effects of what I later learned was a classic case of nicotine poisoning. I should add, however, that this was brought on by a classic case of greed and gluttony on my part. I simply could not get enough of this marvelous mixture fast enough.
"The lesson I've learned with this blend is to savor it SLOWLY, lest the Nightcap become a nightstick!"

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
As a total novice, I tried a bowl of Black House after smoking about 3 bowls of Lane's 1-Q. I can't find the post with my initial reaction, but it was something along the lines of " 8O - Holy crap, I think I just ghosted my sinuses!"
I've since learned to love the stuff, but the first bowl was definitely along the lines of a backfist to the temple... :D

Mar 31, 2014
A fresh batch of C&D Billy Budd. Phew! That stuff does need to age a bit, for me. It's been 4 months and it's still not where I want it to be.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Cornell and Diehl's Big N' Burley in a large Peterson House Pipe on an empty stomach. But I kept on smokin'! "That which does not kill us makes us stronger" as Freidrich Nietzsche said.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Ha! Before; I've learned since to have a good meal before tackling the Burley blends. They can pack a wallop.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
1792 is the hardest one for me to smoke, although I'm not sure it's due to a surplus of nicotine as opposed to a reaction to all the other crap in it.
Billy Budd has surprised me a few times, as has Coniston Cut Plug. I smoke these with some regularity, though, and I've never managed to figure out why sometimes I get my butt kicked and other times I don't.
The most surprising nicotine overload I've had was to Cairo. It doesn't happen with every bowl, but this otherwise delicate oriental/perique blend has the potential to lay me out completely. Again, I don't know why it occasionally bears it claws but the fact is that it does.
Dark Star has the potential, but for some reason it has never taken a bite out of me.
Otherwise, I rarely have any issues with Vitamin N. Even a lot of the notorious heavy hitters like Old Joe Krantz and Irish Flake don't overwhelm me at all. In fact, I consider OJK to have the perfect amount of nicotine for an all-day blend (assuming, of course, that you aren't a 12-pipe a day smoker LOL).

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
While ODF did get over on me, I don't think it compares to my first bowl of Nightcap. While I don't remember the specifics, it got me good. Luckily with the ODF, I recognized it coming and stopped... I was not so lucky with the Nightcap.

Mar 1, 2014
As far as I can tell 1792 did me in faster than a cigar, and there probably wasn't much more than a gram in there.
I was probably asking for it though, I didn't dry it out, so it took a lot of stoking to keep the cherry going.

May 31, 2012
A full bowl of straight 5 Brothers gave me the N spins,

I had to lay down.
The first time I ever smoked Jack-knife Plug it was so good that I smoked like 4 back to back bowls of it one right after the other, in different pipes, and I had an intense otherworldly transcendental psychedelic experience,

no lie.

:)

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
1792 for me. The nicotine I enjoyed, it was the topping that got me. Barfing, splitting headache, first time I've had to "sleep off" something that didn't come on the rocks.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I smoked maybe a half tin of University Flake seven or so years ago, and every bowl had me laid out on the dormroom floor.
More recently, Jackknife Plug and especially Triple Play have set me spinning. I always make sure I have a full tank of water and food before smoking them, but even then, Triple Play gets me.
Sometimes I get it from otherwise-innocuous tobaccos, like Doctorthoss does with Cairo. My big one lately has been Embarcadero, which I don't seem to remember affecting me when I used to smoke lots of it when it first came out. I keep waiting to get stoned on Stonehaven, and it hasn't yet happened yet.
I'm surprised to see Dark Star mentioned here. I find McClelland's products to be pretty much universally kid-glove affairs in the nicotine department.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Lately, GLP JackKnife Plug is among the stronger blends in my rotation.
I'm surprised to see Dark Star mentioned here. I find McClelland's products to be pretty much universally kid-glove affairs in the nicotine department.
I agree ... I've been smoking quite a bit of the Dark Star and, while very flavorful, it is low in nicotine.
Cigars are still the highest nic-fix in my smoking supply.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Brown ropes. No question.
I don't think I could ever smoke them in anything bigger than a Group 2 size bowl.

While I won't admit to having my ass kicked, I've definitely thrown in the towel a few times. GH&co Dark Flake unscented has had me put my pipe down before I've reached half way through the bowl on several occasions. Despite the wonderful flavor, I just knew it was time to stop.
I shared some with some friends at The Briary one day, and I found one in the bathroom leaning against the wall with a wet towel on his head. It is best smoked in a small pipe, with something sweet to get your sugar up. I also don't recommend smoking it while driving.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I found one in the bathroom leaning against the wall with a wet towel on his head
Lol ... you feel bad for them yet proud it was you that got them all at the same time! :D
I forgot about one experience that happened a year ago.
C&D Haunted Bookshop got me good on an empty stomach ... didn't return to that blend for a month! 8O

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
C&D Haunted Bookshop got me good on an empty stomach ... didn't return to that blend for a month!
I love the stuff, but it hits me pretty hard, so I have to be careful with it. Meanwhile, I find it's cousin Old Joe Krantz to be a nice, medium strength blend. And yet, lots of folks find OJK to be the stronger of the two. I can't explain it, but people's systems react differently to different tobaccos.

Status
Not open for further replies.