PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
For those of you who dedicate pipes to certain types of tobaccos, when you guys buy a new pipe, do you already know what you'll be smoking in it? Do you factor that into your purchases? My method is pretty straight forward, English pipes for English tobaccos (except for 2 Ashtons which I reserve for VA's which I'm not a huge fan of but keep exploring them) and Italian pipes for aromatics. Since I collect large size English billiard, I tend to buy those and then just plan on smoking Englishes in them.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
I usually know what a pipe will be dedicated to when I but it. I smoke three types of tobacco, English, Va. flake and black ropes. Larger bowled pipes like my Celius' and Willmer's are for English tobaccos while the small to medium bowls are dedicated to the stronger ropes and flakes.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I don't dedicate pipes to specific tobaccos or blend genres, but I do notice certain trends and (perhaps) subconscious choices. The following is from a review I wrote a while ago:
Over a decade ago, Paul Szabady, an aesthete and, in my opinion, tobacco gourmet par excellence, noted that the composition of Virginia blends and the geometry of English pipes evolved together; and one would do well to take advantage of what he calls the “almost magical synergy” between Va flake and UK / Irish pipes. Szabady has something there. I have a Peterson that only does well with a Va flake; a Brigham that works wonders with it; and the only other pipes that make the Va flake work for me happen to be English.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I use to never dedicate, but I have noticed that since I have separated the English blends, that I get better room notes with the others. If that makes any sense.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I do and I don't. I usually use bigger bowls for English/Balkan blends, but I like English/Balkans more than I do large pipes ha ha ha. I have also bought a pipe and just because of how it looked assumed it was going to be a va or va/perique or English only pipe. Many of those pipes ended up making the exact opposite types of tobacco sing. I remember buying a small pot from Pipes and Pleasures in Columbus, Ohio and being convinced that it was going to be my new bright va flake pipe. Hamborger Veermaster, Dunhill Light Flake (which I miss so much), SG Best Brown Flake, Solani 633, Rattrays Hal o the wynd and GL Pease Stratford all said no. This was early in my pipe career so I assumed the Pipe was crap since it was a second and was cheap. Figured I would keep it around for smoking other substances. One day, years later, out of desperation, I used that pipe to smoke a bowl of Marlin Flake and went weak in the knees over how perfect the smoke was. This $20.00 pot also went on to be an incredible Penzance smoker in it's twilight years.

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
I don't have enough pipes to "dedicate" any one to anything. I've got my trusty Brigham rusticated apple that seems to just be a good all-around smoker, and my Stanwell HCA that seems to be finicky. I'm trying to figure out what tobacco works best in it. When I do, I might very well restrict what tobaccos get smoked in it, just because they work.
Simon

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I used to dedicate my pipes, I no longer do.

Primarily I used to smoke Wessex Brigade Apple in my American Calabash, that is until the Apple was discontinued.

I would also smoke Dunhill 965 in my church wardens, but as above it was discontinued/difficult to obtain.

So, now I just match the pipe to my mood and choose the tobacco that suits that mood as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.