PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

music4cash

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2016
Now that I've been smoking a pipe for a while I'm finding that often my char light will be the only time I light my pipe. When I first started I had to relight every few sips anyways so I felt like the char light was helping. Now that I can pack my pipe, and smoke it so that it stays lit, do I still need to worry about performing a char light? or is it normal just to light the pipe once? If the char light is important do I let the pipe go out before lighting it the second time?

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
What I do is when the tobacco rises up with the charring light, I draw gently as I tamp, and it tends to stay lit and distribute the light across the bowl. Some cuts need a second light, others (Dunhill ribbons in particular) tend not to. If it's lit I see no reason to let it go out just to light it again. I'm not big on blindly following rituals, or buying cock and bull explanations for why those rituals must be follower.

May 4, 2015
Totally depends on the tobacco. Flakes, I generally have to futz with a bit more at the start and I do what I suppose could be a "char light". Ribbons and things, I pretty much just fire and go.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
I light the bowl to just singe the top very well and then let it go out (put the box of matches over it to help snuff it), press it down lightly with my finger to keep any ribbons that rose up away from the briar then relight it until the whole top is well lit and charred, then cover and let it go out. After about 5-10 minutes (I do the first light downstairs where the tobacco is, then smoke it upstairs after maybe fixing a drink), I give it the final light. This seems to allow the sugars to set up and better prep the tobacco for smoking. Try it and see if it works better for you.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
In short, no, absolutely not! A char light is not necessary at all if the tobacco is burning fine. Char lights tend to be necessary when the tobacco is on the moist side.
Other folk's rituals are fine for them, but if you're enjoying your smokes the way you're doing them, keep on keepin' on.

sailortodd

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2011
I believe it was on this forum some years ago that I read a quip that the charring light was invented by match companies to sell more matches, and that you don't necessarily need the charring light.
I typically don't intentionally let it go out after an initial charring light. The exception is when the tobacco curls or opens/puffs up. In those cases I tamp it down again and it usually goes out in the process. Sometimes instead I'll do a similar process as bugg and crash, puffing as I tamp, and it will usually stay lit.

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
I had an interesting conversation a couple weeks ago with a friend about the "charring light," and he made some interesting points. For the most part, I've always been a light it and smoke it guy, except when I'm not. There are many times when I'll touch flame to leaf briefly, and then let it sit for a few minutes before relighting. It often enhances the early part of the smoke. Usually, though, I light and go.
My friend had a different idea. His theory is that the first lights, he does this slowly, gently, several times, warm the tobacco in the bowl, reducing condensation of the moisture that inevitably results from combustion, and resulting in a cooler, drier, more flavorful smoke with fewer relights needed.
At his prodding, I tried it his way, and have been doing it ever since - mostly. I'm not sure the difference is dramatic, or even that it makes a significant difference, but it serves as a reminder to slow down, enjoying the ritual a little more.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Emphasizing the charing light is a good way to put new pipe smokers at ease about re-lights. Otherwise having to re-light the pipe makes them feel like they've made a mistake and soon takes all of the enjoyment out of smoking. And sometimes it's just a good way to start a bowl -- about 25% of the time for me.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
The char light is not necessary, if its lit then smoke away. As you explore other tobaccos you will find the need but generally, if its lit, smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.