PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmsutton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2014
A few months ago, P&Cs had a special on some limited time Captain Black tins. I immediately ordered because, hey, it's the captain. Captain black gold was the first tobacco I ever smoked, and from then on I smoked either Gold or Regular (white pouch).

There were three tins in the package: Red Sky (a cherry blend), Black Sea (a Latakia blend), and Midnight Gold (an aromatic that has some nougat notes).

Notes on each:

Red Sky- Not impressed. The smell after opening the tin was great and got my hopes up. After lighting it up it tasted like chemicals and I couldn't finish even half of the bowl. It seemed like they didn't really care about the tobacco and it was very discouraging. I gave it to a friend who was desperate for any kind of pipe tobacco and he didn't like it either.

Black Sea- I have not ventured very far into the realm of Latakia before then, so I had no idea what to expect. I enjoyed it! After buying some Mississippi River, I appreciated a little more because of the quality compared to the price. I would purchase it again, especially looking at some other competitions latakia and considering quality. Not too much latakia, some very smooth and creamy notes in there that do not let the spice overpower, and it doesn't leave a terrible taste in your mouth. After trying Black Sea, I was getting more hopeful about the purchase.

Midnight Gold- I loved this one. It doesn't bite hard, smells nice, and tastes great. I always love a tobacco that I can describe as "it tastes like it smells". The only downside is that you have to pack it just right for it to burn well, but for the price that's easy to look over.

All in all, I'd skip the Red Sky and get the other two to put in a rotation. The Captain's usual good taste and price that makes it all worth it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most people have a favorite over-the-counter tobacco, though there aren't many counters left. Carter-Hall is among

the most popular on Forums, with maybe Prince Albert coming a close second. Various members seem to also like

Five Brother, Borkum Riff, Half-and-Half, Granger and others. For U.S. customers, at least, many bulk tobaccos rival

the prices of OTC's, especially when you buy them on sale. But a good OTC is a good thrifty product. Welcome aboard,

and happy smoking with the Captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.