[closed]

The Canadian Edition Box Pass - Round 1

(307 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by schmitzbitz
  • Latest reply from ghost
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

stanwellman

Login to Send PM

In addition to the idea of the box, and geographically limited to those in the lower mainland, have you ever visited the web site of the Vancouver Pipe Club? The club meets once a month with the meeting location listed on the web site. Maybe one more way to try new tobaccos and meet new people of similar interests.
    Please forgive me if this is not the right place to mention this..... .

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. schmitzbitz

schmitzbitz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's great that everyone is contributing, but we all have to "withdraw" as well. The ziploc bags won't keep the 'baccy forever. Sometimes you gotta man up and take the last cupcake, as it were. That way there's new stuff each time the box comes around.

Yes! This was the point I was trying to make when I reminded everyone to take stuff too!

In addition to the idea of the box, and geographically limited to those in the lower mainland, have you ever visited the web site of the Vancouver Pipe Club? The club meets once a month with the meeting location listed on the web site. Maybe one more way to try new tobaccos and meet new people of similar interests.
    Please forgive me if this is not the right place to mention this..... .

Are you a member stanwellman? It would be nice to put a face to the grey-scale! Coincidentally, I'm always willing to meet up for a smoke, reside in the Tri-Cities (Poco), but I'm all over the Lower Mainland for work.

The three Canadian pipe-clubs I know of:

Vancouver
    Toronto
    Montreal

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

oarvanderahxenoeln

Login to Send PM

What's it take to get in on this?

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. damnyak

damnyak

Login to Send PM

schmitzbitz, I can throw in a chunk of beeswax, I got tons. I use to make a Pine Pitch Salve, and one ingredients is Beeswax.

Consider it done.

-damnyak AKA Double-Goofy.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. rd02sir

CanAsianPiper

Login to Send PM

Do you need a high speed buffer to use the bees wax, or can you use it by hand?

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I buff with beeswax by hand, works good. Not as shiny as what I've seen on here with carnauba, but does a nifty job nonetheless...

Also, I never really looked at the box pass threads before. I didn't know what they were about TBH. I'd love to get in on this, maybe next round if possible...? Those pics are awesome!

Matt.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. rd02sir

CanAsianPiper

Login to Send PM

Ghost, since we live so closet each other, I'll let you know when I receive it and we can share. We can split the shipping to the next guy.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is awesome, thank you! Hope that's cool with everyone?

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. ohin3

ohin3

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Glad to see this really taking off. looking forward to receiving the box again. Have lots of new tobacco to add and a pipe or 2. This is an awesome way to try tobaccos that you have been wanting to try and to broaden your horizons with tobaccos that you would otherwise never purchase but may actually enjoy.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey Guys,
    Photoman13 reminded me to move this one as well.

Moved to Pipe Tobacco Discussion and I made it sticky as well.

No slight intended toward our Northern Brothers.
    Hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving.

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. slownumbers39

slownumbers39

Login to Send PM

Hey Guys,

Moved to Pipe Tobacco Discussion and I made it sticky as well.

No slight intended toward our Northern Brothers.
    Hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving.

Lawrence, thanks for making this thread a sticky.
    I quite often have a hard time finding this particular thread and this will make it much easier.

Had a great Thanksgiving with some cooler temperatures lately.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. vinvin

vinvin

Login to Send PM

I was wondering what the requirements are to get in on this?

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. cgrd

cgrd

Login to Send PM

* Must be a member for minimum of 6 months or have a well established member vouch for you.
    * Have at least 100 posts
    * Provide all your contact info including phone number to box co-ordinator
    * Currently living within Canada (link to the USA box pass).
    * Have the financial means to pay for shipping a box across the country with tracking/ delivery confirmation.
    * Must agree to purchase tracking/ delivery confirmation.
    * Post pictures upon receipt.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. barkar

barkar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Received Box yesterday and mailed it to next name tonight...should be in Ottawa by Monday.

Keep your stick on the ice!....Barry....
    Posted 2 years ago #
  15. rd02sir

CanAsianPiper

Login to Send PM

Is that me? I can't wait to see whats inside!!

Does anyone like snuff? I have a bunch of tins that i'll toss in.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. barkar

barkar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think its u yes....we should include online names on list so we know who's who

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. rd02sir

CanAsianPiper

Login to Send PM

^yes thats a good idea!

Andrew is my name.

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. barkar

barkar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I sent it to u Andrew...one day they said so maybe tomorrow, Monday for sure !!

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. rd02sir

CanAsianPiper

Login to Send PM

Holy $#!@, thats pretty quick, youre in Peterborough right?

I have an accounting midterm on Monday, so coming home to a box full of samples will be a nice way to unwind!

BTW, how much was the shipping? Curious to know what I should expect when I head to the post office.

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. slownumbers39

slownumbers39

Login to Send PM

Looks like I will be getting the package a bit after I go to Las Vegas. I hope to bring back some interesting tobaccos to add to the Canadian box pass when it arrives.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. rd02sir

CanAsianPiper

Login to Send PM

Holy crap!! Got the box today!!! That was really fast!!

I made a YouTube video of the box opening. If you wanted a surprise, don't watch the video.

Still can't figure out how to embed video.

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Plugin

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. rd02sir

CanAsianPiper

Login to Send PM

I did some poking around.

Who ever put the MacB Club Blend Roll Cake +1!!! I did a bit of research and the tin is just over 4 years old!! Tinned Sept 11th 2008.

I'm anxious to try it out, as it's one of the blends that doesn't contain Latakia (I almost feel ashamed in admitting that I don't like lats...almost lol). And I've been on a big Va voyage lately too haha.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. schmitzbitz

schmitzbitz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Glad to see everyone is having fun with this!

I have updated the list on Google Docs. to contain everyones forum handles - sorry for that oversight on my part!

New guys, if you can get a member who meets the criteria to vouch for you (IE complete a trade) and are willing to adhere to the other criteria, we will wave the minimum post/time requirements...Barkar (in round 1) and Slownumbers are examples of this. Also, if you have pipe-smoking friends who are not forum members, but are interested in taking part they can be included as well assuming you are willing to vouch - much like Steve Laug and Todd Bannard (who has since joined PM.com under the moniker Sasquatch).

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. rd02sir

CanAsianPiper

Login to Send PM

Oh Adam, I added the rest of my tin of SG Chocolate flake for you. I sent some to you last year, and I haven't tuched it since. I'll put the rest of the tin in the box, and make a note to leave you a few flakes.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. schmitzbitz

schmitzbitz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll put the rest of the tin in the box, and make a note to leave you a few flakes

LOL - don't worry about it (telling folks to leave a few flakes)...after you introduced me to the blend, it became a fast favourite of mine, and even became fodder for a review for the main-page - I have a few pounds squirreled away against SG shortages and rainy days!

That said, I can attest the CanAsianPipers Chocolate Flake is spectacularly crystaline with bloom, and if you haven't yet tried this blend this is an exceptional example!

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. rd02sir

CanAsianPiper

Login to Send PM

HAHAHA Glad you liked it!! Yes, the crystallizing has been growing!! It looks delicious, but I just don't like latakia, even in the slightest form haha.

So I'm meeting up with Ghost aka Matt on Monday so he can give and take from the box. I think we might need a bigger box lol. After putting in my blends, the box is having a hard time keeping closed!! I'll either ship it money night or tuesday morning to head to Dartmouth.

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. damnyak

damnyak

Login to Send PM

Adam, can you post the link to the google docs. I have the first version, and cannot scope out the link.

Thanks Brother.

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. barkar

barkar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice video.....One day delivery? wow....I tipped the postal worker that's why....lol...j/k

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. rd02sir

CanAsianPiper

Login to Send PM

Just a heads up, I'm going to take all the tins out and put them in Ziplocks. We need all the space we can get!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. schmitzbitz

schmitzbitz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Adam, can you post the link to the google docs. I have the first version, and cannot scope out the link.

Thanks Brother.

Here you go!

So I'm meeting up with Ghost aka Matt on Monday so he can give and take from the box. I think we might need a bigger box lol. After putting in my blends, the box is having a hard time keeping closed!! I'll either ship it money night or tuesday morning to head to Dartmouth.

Just a heads up, I'm going to take all the tins out and put them in Ziplocks. We need all the space we can get!!

Music to my ears!

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No tins? Looks like I had better get some ziplocks ready as well.

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. rd02sir

CanAsianPiper

Login to Send PM

We could keep the tins in the box, but we would have to get a bigger box. Bigger box=more money.

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am armed and ready with Ziplocks...

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. rd02sir

CanAsianPiper

Login to Send PM

Ziplocks it is!! Lol

Just so everyone knows, I'll be dropping the box off to Ghost tomorrow afternoon, and then he will mail it out around Monday!

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey Guys, just an update...I had a great meetup with CanAsianPiper (Andrew) yesterday, and he dropped off The Box. Note the capital letters, it's warranted. It is just packed! Removing the tins was a good idea, and I'm still scratching my head over how best to repack it and seal it. Andrew has organized the samples to make it easier to go through them. We went through them all yesterday, and I'm going to go through it myself one last time today before adding/subtracting and sealing and mailing it out tomorrow morning. It was great to meet Andrew, and I really appreciate getting in on The Box. It'll be a pleasure adding some stuff to it that isn't in there now too!

Ohin3 (Phil), you're up next. I'll send you the tracking number tomorrow. Enjoy!

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 2 years ago #
  37. rd02sir

CanAsianPiper

Login to Send PM

Glad youre enjoying it!! I have yet to try anything yet lol

Posted 2 years ago #
  38. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's overwhelming really. lol! I just finished going through it, and now it's sealed and ready for it's next destination in Dartmouth.

[+] Embed the video | Video DownloadGet the Video Plugin

Posted 2 years ago #
  39. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fare thee well Mr. Box! Enjoy the east coast...

0102 7800 0042 7980

Posted 2 years ago #
  40. damnyak

damnyak

Login to Send PM

Anyone, that is after me, I have a question for you. This Thursday I will be heading over to Seles Pipe in Burlington. He basically is one of the sole distributors of the famous pipes made by Phillip Trypis. Both worked at Brigham, I think Stefan Seles still does!?! Anyhow Apparently he has way more than what is on his site. I am super excited to have a pipe made by one of the last old masters of Canada.

Seles Pipe

So I was wondering if any of the people left in the pass were interested in a particular shape, or style that I could pick up for you, and put in the box. I can accept paypal. Just an idea. I would need payment up front on how much you are willing to spend, Then if I find what you are looking for great, if not, I will refund. I think that would work best.

Any other ideas let me know.

Chris

Posted 2 years ago #
  41. damnyak

damnyak

Login to Send PM

Has anyone heard anything from Ohin3 ? I am suppose to be next, Says it was delivered to NS, but no status since then, on the 16th?

Posted 2 years ago #
  42. classicgeek

classicgeek

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Give the man time! A box that big takes time to peruse and sample.

I know I had the box for almost a week and a half. Phil also has been known to disappear for periods of time, but he always comes back.

Simon

Posted 2 years ago #
  43. damnyak

damnyak

Login to Send PM

Classicgeek, I don't mean like that, I am excited, but the pics etc...Hype if you will...That's all, No update or "holy cow".

Ha!

Posted 2 years ago #
  44. slownumbers39

slownumbers39

Login to Send PM

I am looking forward to seeing what is inside The Box and sampling the different flavours, so I can understand where damnyak is coming from. There was a lot of posts, then nothing, but I am sure it will show up again in due course.

Posted 2 years ago #
  45. slownumbers39

slownumbers39

Login to Send PM

I am looking forward to trying out some of the aromatics in the box pass.

I really enjoy the Latakia, but I have not really explored the "aro's" and want to give them a fair chance........any suggestions?

Posted 2 years ago #
  46. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't want to ruin the suspense for you of seeing what's in the box, but there are some good quality aros in there to try. I'm sure they'll survive by the time you get it though. PM sent...

Posted 2 years ago #
  47. damnyak

damnyak

Login to Send PM

Last Night I came home to a surprise. I nice Box all the way from the East Coast, from Phil. Giddy like a school girl I ran in the house and set to work. I was up until the wee hours of the morning with this box. Holy. I like how there was a "Aro's bag" the only issue was that the cherry's and berry's were so strong they were killing everything. So I separated them and put them in a heavy gauge baggy separate to hopefully slow that down.

So I went through and pick out what I want to try.. I gotta couple weeks of steady smoking ahead of me, But s I don't hold up anything I have bagged all I want to try, and added my bunch. and will hopefully get it on its way Monday or Tues next week. Here are some pics below. There is so much to try it really is incredible. Thanks again for allowing me to be a part in this.

Posted 2 years ago #
  48. ohin3

ohin3

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Glad it made it to you. The box is massive this time around and contains a lot of talked about tobaccos that everyone wants to try. That is the beauty of the box pass. All these tobaccos that we all talk about on here and make each other want to try are packed in this box. I made a boo boo and forgot to put a few tins of snuff back in the box. I would like to pack it up and ship it to wherever the box may be, but I don't want to hold things up. If you are not into snuffs just tell me where the box is going next and I will send them along.

Posted 2 years ago #
  49. rd02sir

CanAsianPiper

Login to Send PM

how did you like the snuff? I bought it last year, but never really liked it, so in the box it went. As long as someone is enjoying it, fine by me!

Posted 2 years ago #
  50. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

the only issue was that the cherry's and berry's were so strong they were killing everything

The Curse of the Lord, no doubt!

I miss The Box already, good times!

Posted 2 years ago #
  51. ohin3

ohin3

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like the snuffs but I snuff so seldom I have no business having this much snuff. I will pack it up and ship it off to a future box recipient to be added back to the box.

Posted 2 years ago #
  52. damnyak

damnyak

Login to Send PM

Well Folks It took a bit longer as I had to dig up a new box as the current one was worse for wear.

So Today I am saying good-bye and passing it to slownumbers39.

Tracking Number: 7218 8090 0778 6971

Will drop it off after work today, and it should take about a week.

I got a whack of new tobacco to try. Looking at it, it seems like quite the en devour, and I will definitely have to make a journal to remember what I like and don't.

Thanks for the opportunity gang.

Posted 2 years ago #
  53. barkar

barkar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great to see it is making the rounds.

Posted 2 years ago #
  54. slownumbers39

slownumbers39

Login to Send PM

Great to hear that it is on the way to me!! I have been wanting to see all the samples provided and smoke a few as well. Looks like a delivery date of 11/21/12 at this point.

Hopefully it stops snowing in Central Alberta soon.......by the end of today we should have about 30cm on the ground. Edmonton is doing far worse though.......... so I am thankful I am not there right now. If this snow keeps up, I may not find the box until spring, lol. Anyways, looking forward to it's arrival in Alberta.

Posted 2 years ago #
  55. rd02sir

CanAsianPiper

Login to Send PM

Yeah I have a friend in radio who works in Brooks. He's web telling they've been getting pounded by snow, he shoveled 3 times yesterday haha.

I'm happy to see everyone enjoying the box! I can't wait for the next one.

Posted 2 years ago #
  56. slownumbers39

slownumbers39

Login to Send PM

Received the Box Pass today and was impressed at how many different samples there are included in the box. Looked through it and chose a few tonight to get started.

Posted 2 years ago #
  57. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So how's the old box doing? Someone is going to have a nice treat over Christmas, eh?

Posted 1 year ago #
  58. slownumbers39

slownumbers39

Login to Send PM

So how's the old box doing?

The sheer volume of the different tobacco in the box is overwhelming!

I am going to try to get it shipped out tonight and I will post the tracking information once that has been done. The next person on the list is not on the forum, so if anyone is in contact with him, he will be receiving it shortly.

Posted 1 year ago #
  59. schmitzbitz

schmitzbitz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll let Steve know he can expect a whack of tobacco!

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. slownumbers39

slownumbers39

Login to Send PM

Had the box a bit longer than I had anticipated, but life is like that sometimes. I took some and I gave some, including some McClelland, Christmas Cheer 2012 flake for anyone interested. In the end, the box grew just a bit overall.

It is on it's way back to British Columbia via Canada Post after a journey across our great country. The tracking number is as follows: 0101 7880 0041 0729 and should arrive there about December 13th.

Like to thank schmitzbitz for allowing me to partake of the Canadian Box Pass on this round.

Posted 1 year ago #
  61. lordnoble

lordnoble

Mod

Login to Send PM

Great passes, guys! I'm reallyy glad the Canadian Edition Box Pass is going so well!

-Jason

The preceding statement is not to be construed as fact, but merely conjecture.

Proud member of the BlackBlood Society
    Posted 1 year ago #
  62. schmitzbitz

schmitzbitz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great passes, guys! I'm reallyy glad the Canadian Edition Box Pass is going so well!

Me too Jason! Speaking of which, it's probably time for me to start thinking about the next round - only three on the list before it's back to me; and they're all local. I'll send out PM's sometime next week to those involved in this round...for those who were not involved, shoot me a PM and we'll get you on the list.

Posted 1 year ago #
  63. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Man i hope this is still going once i reach 6 months of membership

but its really great that this is working out so nicely

A Great Storm No Matter How Great, Will Always Pass.
    But The Clam After, Is What You Must Master, In Order For Life To Last.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  64. dhintonca

dhintonca

Login to Send PM

I gave it to Ryan on Saturday (today is Tuesday) - so it should be home soon!

Cheers, Dallas
    Posted 1 year ago #
  65. schmitzbitz

schmitzbitz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey all; I've chatted with Ryan, we'll be getting together in the next few days. That said, it's time to start planning for round 3 - I'll send out PM's and emails this week to those who have expressed interest and/or been involved in prior rounds.

EDIT: I've sent out PM's to those on the boards, but may have missed some folks. If you're a Canadian Pipe Smoker and are interested in getting involved with this, shoot me a PM and we'll get you on the list! If you have any pipe-smoking friends who are not members of PM.com, we can get them vouched for and included too!

Posted 1 year ago #
  66. hunter

hunter

Login to Send PM

Well this does look like fun!

“My pipe is out, my glass is dry; My fire is almost ashes too; But once again, before you go, And I prepare to meet the New : Old Year! a parting word that's true, For we've been comrades, you and I - I thank God for each day of you; There! bless yo”
    - Robert Service
    Posted 1 year ago #
  67. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lets Get This Party Started!

I bought all kinds of Baccy so i can have lots to throw in.

Posted 1 year ago #
  68. dhintonca

dhintonca

Login to Send PM

I haven't seen any mail or PM, but I'm in!

Posted 1 year ago #
  69. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ya this will help me a great deal me and the brother in law are still searching for those regular blends we will always order and I'm hoping the box pass will help us decide I've spent all kind on tobacco it would be nice to know what I'm buying for once haha.

But we have some much stuff to share also so I say again let's get this party started!

Posted 1 year ago #
  70. schmitzbitz

schmitzbitz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Doh! My bad Dallas, I have you on the list already! Will get this going next week, the last person on the list (before myself) ended up going under the knife, and we haven't had a chance to get together to repack as needed and finalize the list while he heals.

Posted 1 year ago #

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   dhizzy, papipeguy, eightywon, xrundog, sparks, mikestanley, snagstangl, drwatson, ejames, dermotfahy, andypandy, pruss, phred, yellowfan, fishfly