PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
With your suggestions, I have explored many new flavors and experiences in the world of pipe tobaccos. However I have one very common occurrence. The first bowl I smoke will not reveal the blends true understanding. It will take 3, 4, 10, some times more, bowls of a blend before I can truthfully say to myself it is good, bad, or great. The first time I try a blend it may pass as an acceptable but not a great smoke but after 5 or 6 bowls it becomes one of my favorite blends. This may happen within a few weeks so I discount the change of aging.
Am I using the wrong pipes? Am I packing it differently each time? Is this a common occurrence? I see the poetic first taste reviews, done by some of this forums members, of tobaccos and I ask myself am I doing something wrong? Will a tobacco ever reveal itself to me on the first bowl?

May 4, 2015
I'm like that with Virginias. It takes a few goes until I figure out how it wants to be smoked and get the best out of it.
English blends are much less finicky for me. Nightcap, for example, I loved from the first bowl and it's never really changed on me.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've had some blends that were love at first light and others that took some time to grow on me. I would not say that your experiences are unusual.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are all kinds of variables with pipes and blends, but I think the smoker's taste develops and evolves, and that's part of the adventure. Buy in small quantities. Try around a lot. Different genres. If it doesn't taste good after five or six bowls, put it aside and come back in several months. Sometimes it's a whole new day with a blend. I think all of us find our tastes and likes change from time to time, season to season. Like food. This is good.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If it doesn't taste o.k. after the first bowl, it's out. Not many blends I've tried are in that group. If it's neither here nor there, then further exploration is required, and may take several ounces and some aging to really find out its character.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
Okiebrad: Are each of these blends first tried form a freshly opened tin? I find that many blends need a little time in in the air after you open a tin for them to be in their prime. I am not talking about drying time as they are still in the tin but the act of opening a tin must start something like airing red wine. Combine that with finding the right pipe and packing for a blend and the flavour can change a lot from one bowl to the next. I have blends that sing in one pipe and are bland in others and it is not always the pipe I would expect to match a blend that works out the best. Gaslight is a great example. I get way more out of it in a pipe with a narrow chamber which surprised me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
A lot of those "poetic" first tastes, are done by veteran smokers. It took me about five years to be able to accurately discern individual tobaccos in any given blend, and now twenty-five years in, I am still learning new things. Patience is key, and you will get there.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Keep_Calm_Because_the_Cake_is_a_Lie!.png

Mar 1, 2014
Most people say to smoke at least one tin to get to know a blend, but I'm pretty sure that sample variation can get in the way fairly often, especially with bulk.
Over the last two years I had to try five different samples of classic "ketchupy" red Virginia before I got one with any real tang to it. Three samples and one tin of mostly starchy flavoured VA, and then BAM! The last sample was like a splashing sweetened vinegar in your face. It was McClelland 2015, but I had to buy it twice before I got some with tang.

Now I'm wondering if my old samples are going to gain that attribute or if the new sample is going to lose its tang with age?

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Not sure I get the part about the cake being a lie, but my experience with tobaccos is that a great many of them are just not really that different or distinctive enough from other blends to truly bring something new to the market, or are just a bit too bland. Copies of copies of copies. My theory is that it is taking time for you to decide whether you like it or not because with each bowl, you hone in on subtler and more subtler differences looking for some characteristic to grab a hold of, until you either find something about it that you like or not. Or it just might leave you, like a lot of blends leave me, as a blend I can smoke but do not particularly enjoy.
To my mind, when a tobacco is tinned or whatever for market, it should pretty much be in a condition where it is ready to be smoked as intended by the maker, the assumption should not be that it needs drying out (loss of weight) or some sort of aging, otherwise, why not dry it out or age it further at the factory? If I don't know whether I'm going to like it or not on the first bowl, I probably never will. If I like the first bowl, I will probably always like it and grow to love it. If I don't like the first bowl, I have never later found it to be a blend I really enjoyed. My most preferred blends I have loved at first puff. Aging tends to make good blends better and bad blends worse. At least for me.
Is your packing or pipe a factor? Possibly, and if you try a couple different pipe types and packing methods, this should help.
I say keep searching for the right blends. When you find a good blend for you, you will immediately know it. There will be no doubt that you love the tobacco. ITMT, you will learn other things and can choose from the failures what to add to them to make them into something you enjoy on first light.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
For me, I only know that I don't like a blend at first-bowl. With others - the ones that I try and like - I sometimes learn more about the blend as I smoke more of it. I am at the (still-neophyte) stage where a particular blend will act differently in different pipes. So, I suppose, if I smoke a new blend in a pipe that may not like it as much as another pipe would, I experience the same thing that okiebrad is describing.
As for cake, none with aromatics. But I don't smoke aromatics anymore (except for stuff like University Flake), so cake is something that I have to control.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Sometimes it takes me much longer than you mentioned. I tried Old Joe Krantz for the first time at the beginning of this year and I absolutely hated it, but I didn't give up on it. I must have given it a shot at least once a week to see if I could understand it but much to my chagrin, I just didn't like it! I don't know what happened but as of late, that's all I want to smoke and I plan on buying a couple pounds of it. It's really strange how that works but I know now to never talk shit about a blend because ya never know, it could become your favorite. In fact, I used to hate Cornell & Diehl, I didn't like one single blend of theirs but now? That's all I'm craving... so weird how that works. Oh and Epiphany? I thought it was some half assed American/English style blend that was all kinds of wrong... Now? Wow, I love the stuff, it just sings!

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
Pylorns and chasingmembers are correct, I was just having fun with an old gaming reference. The cake is a lie loosely translate to, “you do not always get the reward you expect.”
It's nice to see others smokers having similar experiences with evolving flavors.
@pipesmokingtom – I found that Nightcap took several smokes before I really started enjoying the flavors. However Ashton's Artisan Blend took only a couple bowls for me. Nightcap is now on the down trend, compared to other similar blends. I would like to think that is because my flavor pallet is growing.
All Virginia's tend to grow on me and when you say “how it wants to be smoked” I am still in school on that subject.
@fmgee – Yes to freshly opened tins. It also happens with bulk (PS Luxury Navy Flake was a good example of taste evolution). How long would you suggest to “let it air” assuming in a jar?
“Combine that with finding the right pipe and packing for a blend and the flavour can change a lot from one bowl to the next. I have blends that sing in one pipe and are bland in others and it is not always the pipe I would expect to match a blend that works out the best. Gaslight is a great example. I get way more out of it in a pipe with a narrow chamber which surprised me. ”
For 30 years I assumed all tobacco was ribbon cut and taste the same. Also all pipes gurgle when smoked. Thank you all for opening a door for me. I would love to see a gathering of information suggesting pairings of pipes including (size, depth, material) to tobacco blends and cuts.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
An understanding of pipe smoking, like an appreciation for fine wine is not something that happens overnight. First you must develop a knowledge of the type of blend and then for the subtleties of the blenders variations. Generally it's valid to say "at this point I do or don't like this kind of tobacco". That may change over time, for most of us it does. First find something that pleases you and then explore the differences between blends. As your tastes expand so will your understanding. I've been smoking a pipe for over fifty years and there are still things I find new even now.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
As with meeting new people, over time, characteristics which may have first been off putting may eventually become endearing. Time can have a way of altering first impressions.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
otherwise, why not dry it out or age it further at the factory?

Because that costs the blender money!

For me, I only know that I don't like a blend at first-bowl. With others - the ones that I try and like - I sometimes learn more about the blend as I smoke more of it.

That's how it's worked out for me too. It can take me a tin or more to really understand what's going on in a blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.