PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
Ingo Garbe once said that,

...the last inch of the stem is just as important as the rest of the pipe...

and I think that's true.
I didn't really fully realize just how important it can be until I got a Wayne Teipen pipe with a thin bit combined with an excellently crisp button --- the natural comfort of that last inch greatly enhances an already incredible pipe and adds super bonus points to my experience with it, showing me exactly how vital stem skills are for a maker and how a good stem end can intensify the qualities of a good pipe.
I have several Dunhills which have fairly thin bits and they're probably the most comfortable factory bits I've yet to experience, but the high level of execution that some handmade stems now offer is amazing.
I just wanted to post this and get various thoughts from people, and any links to relevant articles, and links/photos of bit/button close-ups which seem hard to find...
...this article is great, I can't seem to find the original over at PassionForPipes, but it makes me wanna get a caliper and gauge all the bits I got!

http://www.fumeursdepipe.net/arttuyauxroan.htm
These posts are great too:

http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2012/8/20/slots-and-buttons.html
http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2012/8/23/slots-and-buttons-part-two.html
Another nice article:

http://tobaccodays.com/articles/exploring-pipe-evolution-series-the-stem-designs-of-viktor-yashtylov/
An interesting thread:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/how-to-tell-if-a-stem-is-hand-cut
4401460_orig.jpg

004-008-1913_1.jpg

798.jpg

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Misterlowercase
I most certainly agree. While many discuss the importance of the briar, the drilling, etc. (all of course are very important) one of the most important factors to me is the stem work.
My Dunhills, although may not have the best drilling qualities, have excellent thin and fine button stems.
One of the things I admire about many of the new American artisans is their attention to the stem and the button.
Amongst the ones I have and admire are Rad Davis, Scott Thile and Jerry Crawford. I do know that Jeff Gracik of J. Alan pipes has excellent stem work on his later models, but a bit out of my price range.
I'm looking forward to the Chicago show to see new offerings of pipe makers and to feel and see their stem work.
Thanks for posting these articles (unfortunately, I don't read French)

May 31, 2012
Thanks for your thoughts Allan.

:puffpipe:
btw

here's the Fumeurs de Pipe article put thru googtrans,

it ain't pretty, but it gets the gist,

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fumeursdepipe.net%2Farttuyauxroan.htm&act=url

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
I certainly agree, that a thinner button does enhance the experience of a pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think fishtail bits have improved a lot since I bought my first pipe about 40 years ago; I still own it for

purposes of comparison. Bit quality on even low-level pipes has gotten so much better.

May 31, 2012
...another good article:

http://www.qualitybriar.com/2013/01/back-to-basics-part-ii-stem-materials/

:

:

...and here's that Teipen billiard bit & button I was raving about:

6jZ7SgP.jpg

jd7lBSs.jpg

...and another Teipen:

d8Mpjjk.jpg

MlEn00V.jpg

Nate King:

ul01NkG.jpg

kLClJG8.jpg

Thomas James's stuff looks killer good too:

hP4WsJn.jpg

OXN7FQM.jpg

...a new one on me, found while looking for stem close-ups, Jeremiah Sandahl:

yTL2wIg.jpg

WhHuG56.jpg

...pruss got himself a great lookin' Sandahl pipe,

good thread here:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/my-first-commissioned-pipe-sandahl-pipe

...what Pat said about the stem:

"The pipe drew very well. The stem fit like a glove, I found I really enjoyed the crescent shaped button and the thickness of the stem at the button."
Good stuff!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The button shape and size has become an important aspect of my pipe buying decisions.
Neill's PFP articles were very interesting, particularly the dimension information.
Two favorites on my rack are a Rad Davis and Jack Howell. I wasn't surprised to see on Neills chart, that these two maker buttons are almost identical in size.
Rad Davis:

Jack Howell

May 31, 2012
Found a few more pix...
Larry Roush

Tz681tG.jpg

6D2R38E.jpg

Trever Talbert

rvZqMmc.jpg

Fet6f13.jpg

Peter Heeschen

qYjTGZa.jpg

Michael Linder

myDHZrk.jpg

WIHwTZu.jpg

Brian Ruthenberg

HwrA843.jpg

Ilsted

Xu5NFEu.jpg

Walt Cannoy

W0zRcjm.jpg

Becker with "olde bit"

L3OhSAK.jpg

cNbtDN6.jpg

Senatorov

HkAyYbq.jpg

mtG1gGw.jpg

lpbY4Gn.jpg

...and I found out not too long ago that it was actually Barling who did the first clear stem, using perspex --- I had always thought that it was a GBD Prehistoric thing, anyway, Barlings are known for their very comfortable bits...

vNEkbfu.jpg

Z4La6Lc.jpg

cWmlmOi.jpg

vzZe0gc.jpg

...and look at this old Kaywoodie, I'm not sure if its been modified, but that button sure does look good...

rtLeZqI.jpg

Tr4lcma.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I totally agree with the original statement. I have become obsessed with the last inch and sold off almost all of my collection after smoking my first Rad Davis. I cannot smoke a pipe that does not have great stemwork because it feels so uncomfortable and I do not enjoy smoking a pipe like that.
My favorite stems are in order of favorites, Rad Davis, Stephen Downie, Scott Thile, Jody Davis, Steve Morrissete, Toni Nielsen, Brian Ruthenberg, Bruce Weaver and Mike Butera. In terms of a factory stem, my favorites are Wilmer and Upshall.
Here are a few pics of my favorites.

Rad Davis

Stephen Downie

Scott Thile

Jody Davis

May 31, 2012
Great pipes Harris!

:puffy:
Nice stemwork certainly does greatly enhance the whole experience, for sure.
...a few more pix found online:
Rad Davis

img20080706015902339.jpg

img20080706020337300.jpg

baff?

resize5178.jpg

resize5179.jpg

resize5180.jpg

another Becker "olde bit"

resize0323.jpg

resize0313.jpg

Lee von Erck

resize2185.jpg

Jerry Crawford

JC1_4_zps3b638848.jpeg

JC1_5_zpscef58c4a.jpeg

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
Wholeheartedly agree. I don't have any fancy pictures to show off, but comparing a "normal" button to a P-lip was quite clear enough to me!

May 31, 2012
pipesdownunder,

wow!

The Brishuta looks most excellent!

:puffy:
Michail Revyagin has a very distinctive style as well...

qualitybriar7%20242.jpg

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Yep, another here that agrees that the stem and button on any pipe is the deciding factor in a new pipe purchase. One area where I feel the Italians have failed us us customers is to have those thick acrylic stems and huge buttons on an otherwise beautiful pipe. It's really not an issue if your a smoker who holds the pipe more than you hang it but for me, it's got to be clenched and I prefer it to be comfortable. I also agree that now the American carvers are "getting it" and may soon lead the industry in that area if they don't already.

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
Awesome thread. Thanks for starting and bumping the thread misterlowercase. I missed it the first time around.

Mar 1, 2014
After smoking my first bowl in my new Ashton (New Pipe+FMC=Bliss), I was about to post a thread on button size, but this is far more interesting.
In particular, today I found myself trying to decide between using a rubber bit and clenching, or not using rubber and holding the pipe. If I clench, my preferred position puts the bit between some irregular teeth, and the rubber bit makes things much more comfortable. If I don't clench, I find I like to keep my jaw as closed as possible, and widening it enough to fit a bit with rubber seems awkward (which then tempts me to smoke through my teeth, which is undoubtedly a terrible idea).

My Vauen Churchwarden stems have extremely thin buttons, so much so that a rubber won't even grip them. Pretty much ideal from what I can tell.

owen

May 28, 2014
For me the bit and the weight are more important than anything else, the feel of the bit especially makes a great difference.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Wow, thanks for your work in putting together the links & this thread! I'm about 1/3rd thru but will continue to read them until I finish. I now better understand why I like the feel of some of my pipes more than others!

Mar 1, 2014
Smoking some Ennerdale today, I used a nice full bent Vauen with a rubber.

I think smoking with the thick rubber bit feels awkward because my tongue is used to fill the space in most of my mouth, blocking passage to my throat, but to do that with my jaw open means stretching my tongue more.

Status
Not open for further replies.