PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
If you ever get anywhere near this place, you need to go. I mean like, if you're in the same state, go. It's so worth it in every way. The pipes and pipe tobacco choices here are above and beyond anything I could have ever imagined. I took a few snaps of some cases, but this was maybe only 10% of what he offers.
The Meer Case:

20180910_102059-600x291.jpg

Several of the many briar cases:

20180910_102039-600x291.jpg

20180910_102336-600x291.jpg

20180910_102120-600x291.jpg

You name it, this place has it. The pipe selection is almost too much. His prices? Fantastic! I could not have been happier with my decision to go here and I only wish that it were closer to me. I spent a half hour just perusing the meer case alone and didn't have the chance to look at all of the briars he had, but I'm glad I didn't at the same time....I could have gotten in serious trouble in his shop. The PAD was overwhelming!!!!!!!
I didn't get any pictures of it, but the tobacco selection was also very superb. I caught sight of C&D, Mac Baren, Rattray's, Erik Nording Hunter Blends, tins of Pelican, and peaking out at me from beneath one of the shelves...an 8 oz. bag of Esoterica And So to Bed which became mine....
This place is a gold mine and the town is fantastic too! If you ever get the chance, you have to go here. I saw muttnchop's video on the place, and it's no different. You want a good look at it, then watch the video muttnchop did and you'l get a decent idea of what this place is like. Seriously, the wife even said she thought she was going to have to calm me down.
My take away from The Burley & The Briar:
20180911_102548-600x291.jpg

20180911_205649-359x600.jpg

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Thanks for the update. I drive through Bloomington on my way home to Southern Indiana. Will have to stop there some time. I called once inquiring about tobacco and they didn't carry most of my favorite brands but did have a decent selection. Obviously, their pipe selection is nice. That must be the best store in the entire state from what I've seen. Strange to be located in a relatively small city of the beaten path.
Travel safe on the way home. I hope the brunt of the Hurricane misses you.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
They did have the largest selection of either that I have seen yet, in my so far short pipe smoking career.
I didn't see a vintage sports car, but I was so engrossed in the pipes it was sort of hard to pull away.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I was actually shocked to discover that's where the Hoosiers were located. Always figured they were in a bigger town, but it's a fantastic looking town. I really enjoyed our stay there.
Crash, I think I could feel your pain. If I was closer or ended up closer and if I missed an opportunity to stop by after I know about it now, I'd be heartbroken too. It's a great shop.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I stopped there a few years ago when attending a conference.
Great store. Even some coworkers who were with me and not pipe smokers enjoyed browsing through the shop.
Crash- if you get up near South Bend, lemme know- I'll buy you a pint.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Bloomington is in my neck of the woods, and it's a great town to visit for a day or three. I spent four great years there in college! I'll be sure to check out The Burley and the Briar next time I'm in town.
I also highly recommend the bar / music venue The Bluebird if anyone is ever staying in "B-Town" overnight and might enjoy some live music. Sometimes bigger acts come through, and it's great to seem them at a smaller venue like the Bluebird, though most any band that plays there will put on a decent show, at the very least.
If you want something a little more relaxed and laid back, Nick's is an awesome bar too. In addition to the usual college crowd, you're just as likely to see professors and graduate student's at Nick's. Those are two "must see" Bloomington bars in my book, an opinion shared by many an IU graduate.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
This shop is just about 20 or 30 minutes from my home. It's a great little shop with a fantastic smoking lounge. Oddly enough, I've only been there a few times. This thread reminds me that I need to visit again soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.