PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I don't know how I missed this before, but Winslow Homer painted a pair of NY soldiers smoking a briar pipe in 1864.
"The Brierwood Pipe"
800px-Winslow_Homer_-_The_Brierwood_Pipe.jpg

FggJPxN.png

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
Hard to believe the North won looking at that picture,, The setting is not 1864, but in the first few months of the war, I assume he painted it in 64. Nice find!

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Strangest thing... I was personally in the Cleveland Museum of Art one week ago and stood 2 to 3' away from this very painting! I asked if I could take a picture and they said yes, as long as I didn't use a flash. The colors in person were absolutely vibrant. Here is my photograph of the same:
winslow-homer-1-533x600.jpg

Also in the same museum on the same night, this painting by Pierre Bonnard, Cafe Terrace, 1898:
pierre-bonnard-cafe-terrace-1898.jpg

Enjoy!

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
I'm pretty sure those were in name only after the first few months of the war. The Smithsonian credits the uniform to the first year of the war. Could be wrong though, I'm from Atlanta.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I'm no expert, but I was a bit of a Civl War buff as a kid. I think those units were used for more than just the first few skirmishes, but eventually they dropped the sexy outfits.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
It's possible the pipe may not have been a briar, but the clay pipe that was common amongst enlisted men on both sides, as for example this one I got on an archaeological dig at Appomattox.
a8ef26deba093db8e4e13917b966a2c7_zps65fba29d.jpg

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
Cool Painting! I believe the Union Army had Zouave units at least through Gettysburg. There is a monument there to a Pennsylvania Zouave unit(forget which one). The Confederacy also had a Zouave unit in Wheat's Tigers out of Louisiana. They were more or less shock troops. I forget exactly when they ditched the funny uniform but I think it was in 1862 or early 63.

Status
Not open for further replies.