PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Why is it that the bottom third of a bowlful of tobacco is always the most satisfying? I experience this virtually every time I smoke. Is it only me, or do others feel the same? I know a lot of people say that the charring light delivers the best taste, but for me it's always been the bottom third. Maybe I'm a bottom feeder.
Maybe it's because I've settled into a relaxed, smooth puffing cadence, with no more relights. Or maybe the good flavours accumulate towards the bottom? I don't know, and it doesn't really matter why - it's just a great, fulfilling, experience, and one I look forward to every time I light up. Somehow I don't think this would happen if I just filled the bowl one third to begin with. :puffy:

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Some theorize that since the smoke from the top two thirds has to filter down through the bottom third, then the bottom third should therefore be more flavorful.

For me personally, it depends on the blend. Some blends I find the first third to be the best, some the middle third, and some the last third. With aros, I generally find the last third to be somewhat sour and ashy. Some blends, on the other hand, the bottom third is the nectar of the gods!

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I think the only tobacco that was at its peak at the last 1/3 of the bowl was McClelland's Arcadia blend. It's a nice little mix of orientals and Virginias. The only other thing that was close for me is Molto Dolce but for me that's pretty steady through out the whole bowl. Every other blend I've smoked has been best in either the first third or middle third. I usually find the last third to be boring and dull.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I'm with you 4dot on the bottom third being the best. Loading the pipe 1/3rd full would only result in the bottom third of that, which works out to what ... the bottom 1/9th of the pipe? Better load her full up to maximize that bottom third. LOL. I find the effect most pronounced in chimneys and billiards, less so in more shallow bowls.

For me, I love the way Virginias will stove in the pipe, so the last little bit of a Va is my favorite. But a lat blend or an aro depends on what it is. I only do very mild lat blends, so I prefer the middle of the bowl on those. Aros, it just depends. I rarely smoke an aro all of the way to the bottom.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
For me it's the blend and mostly VA's and VaPers. A good blend will have many dimensions and takes you on a tour through the whole bowl. Sipping I think also has a lot to do with it.
Craig

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I mostly smoke Lakelands and I like the charring light and the start of the bowl best. That first light on Condor is the best tasting thing in the world. Everything else, I definitely like the bottom best.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I'm with you"all love the bottom flavor, it's got a good kick to it, Something wrong with us ? Guess it stems from big Family dinners , In Cajun land back then, men ate first, then the women, then the kids, learned to love the scraps. LOL

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Probably cause thats where all the bad stuff for you ends up.

Like dieters & diabetics, "If it taste good, spit it out!"

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have always preferred the bottom third when I am smoking my flakes. The flavors get more intense and much fuller. I cannot count how many times I have sucked in hot ash chasing the last bits of flavor with my flakes. Nothing better than that bottom third to my tastes.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Never in 40 years of smoking just about every kind of tobacco there is have I found the bottom third of a bowl anything close to likable, but maybe there's still a blend out there I haven't tried that will change my mind. My biggest issue is with relights in the bottom third. Dump the ash or not, it tastes like ash, at least while I'm drawing the flame down.

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
I like the top best. I even like to relight some blends over and over in the beginning. When it gets to the last third of the tobacco the flame and actually pass heat easily to my mouth. Heat seems to taste bad to me I can't get the last part to taste as good.

latbomber

May 10, 2013
I like the bottom 1/3 the best most of the time. Smoke production always seems easiest at the end.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
I just like to smoke my pipe!! :D I don't care what 3rd of the bowl it is!! Top to bottom , I love it!! :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.