PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffsimpson

Might Stick Around
Apr 12, 2014
Howdy folks, I picked this up at a second hand store a while back and I haven't been able to find out anything at all on the brand. It came in a Parker box with a little blue Parker pipe bag but alas, what we have here isn't a vintage parker; it's a Bohemian.
Does anybody have any information at all on this thing?
All the info

The bowl

The front

The back

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Although I can't find anything about Bohemian, it has to be made by Comoys. Shape 334 is from the Comoys catalog and the London Made sure looks like Comoys stamping.
A couple of 334's:
573523fec8ce9ef3ed71de04a4ebe04dc.jpg

642-3-1000x1000.jpg

jeffsimpson

Might Stick Around
Apr 12, 2014
Thanks a lot for the info! I honestly never thought I'd learn the origins of this pipe. Pipedia says that the London Made stamp puts it somewhere in the '20s so it looks like I have a pretty old pipe on my hands. I always figured that the '334' was a production number and not a shape.
"The Bohemian Pipe" isn't listed anywhere as a Comoy's line, but I'm wondering it if was perhaps regional; like foreign branch of some kind for Comoy's. I'm going to see if I can get into contact with anyone related to the company and do some more investigating.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It doesn't necessarily have to be a Comoys second line. Comoys and other British makers made pipes for shops and other manufacturers. That London Made stamp does look like an older stamping.

May 31, 2012
Great old pipe, I agree it's an early Comoy.
Love the magnifying glass nomenclature shot,

a beautiful photograph.
Congrats on that old gem.
I recently came across an old Super Sports with the same London Made rugby shape stamp,

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/super-sports-nosewarmer-is-it-a-comoys-2nd
Hope you find out something about it, and if you do, please share the info with us!

:)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Who Made That Pipe lists this as a Comoy's product. I suspect that this rustication technique, so similar to Sasieni's, is the basis for the "Bohemian" moniker. Comoy had a large number of 2nd's and 3rd's to handle it's downstream flow of less than stellar briar. It's a pretty rare bird.
Congrats!

jeffsimpson

Might Stick Around
Apr 12, 2014
I'm actually really excited at all the responses here. Like I said, I never thought I'd learn ANYTHING about this pipe, let alone this much. You guys are all awesome. Misterlowercase, it was actually my wife that took the pictures so she's the one that gets the praise for nice photographing. If I was taking the pictures, you'd get a nice shot of my thumb print :P.
I always thought this was made by just some random tiny company that never 'hit it big' but it seems now that this is a pretty cool pipe. Thank y'all a lot. It feels really cool to learn this much.

Status
Not open for further replies.