PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Hmm, I too find myself curious as to what you are referring.
James

ithelouniverse

Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
It was a packing method! Someone posted it on a thread about the second half of the bowl... I started that thread as well! There was a fancy video and the whole nine...

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Never heard of the "Bob" method of packing a pipe. I've never had an issue packing a pipe. I just put some tobacco in, push it down a little, put a little more in and push it down a little and then light and go. Seems to work fine for me. :mrgreen:

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I actually tried the BOB method with some 1-Q just recently and really liked it. I only tend to smoke aros when I'm out and about and puff a little more vigorously. It seems to really reduce moisture.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Whatever floats your boat, I say to the BOB method. Personally, I don't like it right off for 2 reasons. 1) I can barely fit enough tobacco in my pipes as it is, so I don't want any air pocket, and definitely don't want any moisture accumulating in the heel. 2) I don't use any method I can't do while driving. Yes, I pack a pipe nearly every day while driving, and it's the same method I use all the time. I dip my pipe in my pouch, and with my finger push tobacco into the bowl. Then I put pipe to my lips, and light up with a standard zippo. Needs one hand, and no eyes. Same method with flakes, because 90% of the time, I fully rub them out.

+1 Bryanf, I was just putting tobacco in it and smoking for quite a long while before someone ever asked me how I was packing my tobacco. I'd never thought about it before nor had any problems. I did set down and try a few methods at my favorite B&M with friends, and I personally didn't see any difference except it took me longer to get done what used to take an instant. But, hey, if someone wants another ritual to enhance their experience, sure, go for it. Maybe some people just need to get the feel of it before just moving into freestyle :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.