PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
My new blowfish was delivered today. I was so excited, and then I took it out of the package. The birdseye is great looking. The finish is nice. It's surprisingly light. But this thing is seriously lopsided.
One side of the bowl is higher than the other.

The shank isn't straight and the stem isn't centered on the shank.

The draught hole is off center too.

Ah well, I knew buying this was a gamble. Sometimes you draw the ace, and sometimes you don't. Hopefully it will still smoke ok.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
If it were me, I would send it back for a refund! But if a lopsided, off center, and crooked shank pipe doesn't bother you; smoke the hell out of it.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
The staining around the chamber would concern me even more than the other faults mentioned. I would not accept a pipe in that condition and I think you are doing yourself and the pipe maker a disservice by accepting it as so.

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
It was an Ebay purchase from a new/unknown carver with a "no returns" policy. Never the less, I've sent him a message asking for my money back. I was trying to be optimistic, but the more I look at this pipe, the more unhappy I am with it.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
HHHMMMM, No refund policy would of given me a red flag from the beginning! Sorry about your luck and hopefully this makes you a little wiser about sellers on Ebay.

kanada

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
the short side I could live with, but the off center stem would drive me mental. I do like the overall look of it though

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
HHHMMMM, No refund policy would of given me a red flag from the beginning! Sorry about your luck and hopefully this makes you a little wiser about sellers on Ebay.
Yeah. I should have caught that sooner than I did - before I pressed the buy button. I was just too enamored with the way it looked and missed that oh-so-important detail. Hopefully the guy's got some integrity, but then again, if he'd sell this type of work I probably shouldn't hold my breath.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That is pretty shoddy craftsmanship and I too would be very unhappy with that pipe. Hopefully the carver will set you right on this. Good luck. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You don't mention how much you paid or the name of the maker. If it's a twenty dollar pipe, I'd just use it as a beater and chalk it off to experience. If it happens to smoke well, which it may, it could become a sort of favorite, like a guilty pleasure. As pipe making goes, this is slap dash in the extreme. Now you know what a pipe shouldn't look like. Thanks for sharing this example of ebay at less than its best.

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
You don't mention how much you paid or the name of the maker.
There was an earlier thread where I posted it. I paid $95 for it. Josh Bafford is the carver. The original pictures on the auction don't really show just how distorted the pipe was - which I suspect was deliberate.
Is it briar for sure?
Yes, it's briar, and a really nice piece too. I looked it over pretty carefully and couldn't find any fills. It's a shame he did such a poor job of carving it.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
The off-center stem would bother me to no end as well, but as Mso said, if it was a bargain, and none of the flaws drive you absolutely insane, enjoy it.
The Blowfish is a cool shape. Maybe Peck should do an oceanic theme for his upcoming seven day set. A Blowfish, Nautilus, (someone makes a blowfish variant, called a Longfish), and I don't know what else.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
File a claim with ebay...... "not as described" You WILL get your money back... there is no excuse for this, its not your fault and ebay will make it right.....

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Not a snowballs chance I'd keep that pipe, file a claim using the photos you posted. It's one thing to be an up and coming maker but stuff like this should have been a learning experience for them and not a customer.

banjo

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
If it smokes ok, you're not out everything. If not, you've paid for a lesson, and hopefully you will pass the next test.

darthcider

Jan 24, 2014
Wales
Get your money back, no returns doesn't cover something that is not what you would expect it to be, especially if the photos did not show the faults.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
I mean no offence but if I am to be completely honest with you the pictures on ebay of it do clearly show a lot of things wrong with it. I can see in one that the draft hole is not centre. I can see the terrible stain job on the rim. I can see that the stem does not enter the shank in the centre and that it is slightly lop sided. It is possible that those last 2 were actually by design. Many of this shape I have seen are deliberately asymmetrical. I can see other things too.
Regardless, you can see all of this. In my opinion he did not hide anything from you as what you show in your pics I can see in his. I think you should take this one on the chin.

wcannoy

Can't Leave
Nov 29, 2012
Lakeland, FL
Lopsided bowl, not uncommon for a Blowfish... If it was done on purpose to follow the grain.
549354_10204522240283658_7142708638002387769_n.jpg

Shank not straight, not uncommon for a Blowfish... IFit was done on purpose to follow the grain.
10255515_10204522240803671_3470808842589804769_n.jpg

11406886_10204522240323659_7373585593916544412_n.jpg

11402935_10204522240483663_4242126051616996694_n.jpg

As for the stem being off-center, if you're feeling really forgiving, that could be chalked up to an aesthetic choice... But if it's going to be off center, it needs to look good and look like it was done on purpose, as in this Alden Teardrop shank.
pipe%20037.JPG

The drilling being so far off center is simply unforgivable in anything other than a basket pipe. And for a smooth pipe in that price range, the tool marks and sanding marks should have been finished out.
11535918_10204522291764945_5961441729341871591_n.jpg

Now, if you're absolutely thrilled with the quality of the pipe for the price you paid, then nobody can fault you for that. But I suspect that you're not happy with it, hence this thread. At any rate, threads like this are good for those new to our hobby to learn what to look for, or look out for.
If you are satisfied with it, smoke it! If not, fight for a refund. Let the maker know why you are dissatisfied. A generous return policy is a must for anyone trying to run a business over the web!

Status
Not open for further replies.