PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most of us tend toward one or several kinds of blends, or more. But which blend of all that you smoke regularly seems least like the others? l don't have any real outliers yet, but when I crack my tin of Edward G. Robinson, it will be the first out-and-out aromatic I've smoked in quite a while. Otherwise, I seem to stick with burley single leaf and blends, English, Va and Va/Per, and Balkan. I guess Royal Yacht might serve the same purposes, since it really is an aromatic, among other categories.

Royal Yacht is less aromatic tha EGR, IMO.

My outlier tends to be whatever aromatic I smoke in the mornings. Right now, it's Moontance, usually it's Vanilla Cream Flake. Moontance has an unusually moderate strength burley in it which is appealing to me more that the Vanilla Flake. The rest of the day is all Virginias and VaPers.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Crooner is about as far from the rest of my cellar as you could imagine. Smoke it every night before bed though. Love it!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I guess the one blend least like the others is C&D's Epiphany, it's utter crap, everytime I come back to it, which is maybe once a year, I'm reminded how much I dislike it. There's nothing remotely good about it to me, it's the only blend I've smoked that I just absolutely dislike. I was actually lucky and my cat knocked over a box of my jars and only 2 jars shattered, one being epiphany. The other blend I enjoy that is the most unique out of the others is C&D's milk and honey, it has a honey flavor, but it's not at all a traditional type aromatic.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
This reminds me of the old Sesame Street skit...one of these kids is doing his own thing, one of the kids is not like the others! But to answer your query, Condor, I smoke Balkans 90% of the time and Va/Bur, Va/Pur, Va most of the rest of the time, but somehow Condor has wiggled its way into my rotation, it's good stuff!

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
Most of my cellar is made up of virginias and VaPers. As a general rule I'm not keen on burley or burley blends but I love Germain's Rich Dark Flake.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Most of my tobaccos are English and Balkan blends, but occasionally I dip into some Planta California Dream. It's one of the few aromatic blends I can enjoy since it's not gloppy or heavily cased. It's very light orange blossom taste is there just enough to be noticed and makes for a fair room note.
My other "change up" tobacco is Peter Stokkebye's Turkish 84.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Okay, as far as one I can smoke... Would have to be Samuel Gawith's Grousemoor. It's absolutely unique and nothing else will do when I'm craving it. Cobguy gave me a nice sample of a well aged Grousemoor plug that is out of this world. It's pitch black as opposed to the golden ribbon cut of the actual mixture. Good stuff!

Jun 4, 2014
Mine would have to be Boswells Bear Blend. In my regular mix of English, VaPers, flakes and cakes I try to keep this cherry vanilla aero on hand for thoese times when I crave something different.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
Captain Bob's Blend sounds insane. Thanks for awaring me--I may have to buy some for kicks sometime.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I almost exclusively smoke VAs, VAPERs, and Balkans and very seldom smoke aromatics. I've been turned off by every one I've tried. As a matter of fact I tossed 1/2 a tin of Molto Dolce this evening actually. Nasty gooper in my opinion.
However, for some reason I've taken to Russ's monthly blend "Nation's Capital." Not sure what it is about it, but I enjoy it immensely! I received 2 oz in the this month's pipe club package and it is currently the only aromatic in my rotation.
Here's the description:
Every year when the cherry trees blossom in Washington, DC, it's an event. People flock from all over to see the trees in full bloom. As a tribute to that event, we bring you Russ' Monthly Blend - Nation's Capital. This is a rich, sweet black Cavendish with a smooth black cherry flavor, enhanced by a rich, caramelly vanilla. The room note is amazing, and the flavor has an incredible dessert-like quality. If you're looking for a blend that's unapologetically aromatic, you've found it with Nation's Capital.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Gawith and Hogarth Bob's Chocolate Flake is the most unlike of the tobaccos I usually smoke: Virginias and VaPers. I have many Latakia blends I go to once an awhile for a change of pace, but Bob's is unlike those as well. It is a cool smoking, chocolately treat, a good after dinner desert smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.