PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunplume

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2011
whats a good blend that won't cause this? i have no preference. I smoked cigarettes for 17 yrs.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
What blends are you smoking now that you are getting it from?
First comment that came to mind when I saw cigarette smoker and bite mentioned in the same thread was the bite might be more from smoking the pipe too fast. Looks like you have some posts under your belt though so guess I am a little confused. Supposedly body chemistry can make a person more susceptible to it.
Early on I had issues with scalding my mouth with steam and thought that was bite, but found that was due to not drying out the tobacco enough.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
+11 on slowing down and drying your tobacco more.
One of the easiest smoking tobaccos out there is Carter Hall and it's great in a Cob.
Just be patient and keep trying ... most importantly, enjoy! :puffy:

perlasca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2015
As a cigarette smoker, I say 'Slow Down'. It's tough not to want to inhale. I don't know how you smoke, but really... Slow down when you are piping, that is almost the Golden Rule. That and, make sure that you dry out your tobacco before packing.

If you are a non-menthol smoker or were..., try Prince Albert! There is no 'Bite' there, and if you feel like you need to inhale, it's like a cigarette. All though smoking PA won't teach you the finer points, it will let you smoke hard and be forgiving.
@Cobguy, knows what he is talking about. I can not agree with him more, except I prefer PA over CH.

The pipe is a whole different experience than cigarettes. I know, I smoked cigarettes for decades. You're not inhaling, so we tend to think in terms of just making and blowing smoke. Making big billowy smoke is just an exercise in futility. But, if making pretty clouds and wasting all of the tasty nicotine goodness is your thing, then go at it brother.
But me? I know that I am only going to get that nicotine into my body by allowing the smoke time to get absorbed into the small blood vessels in my mouth and sinuses, so I slowly smoke, savor the flavors, and just allow the smoke to pass in and out almost on its own. Sure, a puff to check the fire, but for the most part, you're not puffing. The slower you go, the more you get out of all of this.
Newer guys that don't hang at B&M's, I feel for you. Unless you grew up with a pipe smoker in the family, you probably have no idea. Maybe watch some old movies with pipe smokers in them, like Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House, or one of the many others. You won't see men puffing on pipes like cigars or cigs, and I would even argue that most men smoke cigars too fast also.
Just drizzle, savor, roll it around you mouth, take it in, try to absorb every last drop. Don't waste it all into the air.
Now, that this has all been said... there are no rules. Smoke how and what you want. No one should ever tell a cowboy how to ride his horse, unless he asks, but... If you are going to make big billowy clouds, stand on the other side of the room. I don't want people to think that I just started smoking a pipe yesterday too. :wink: Ha ha!! :puffy:

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
I like to suggest Burley based blends for those that are going for those billows of smoke.(I came over from cigars so every now and then I crave a nice thick chewy smoke) One still needs to practice discipline with a slow cadence though.
The downside to Burleys for newer smokers is they can have higher nicotine which doesn't always go over well with new smokers, but if someone is coming from cigarettes usually they have some sort of a tolerance built up and the burley isn't over kill.
Burleys also are known to burn cooler than Virginia based blends, which can help with potential bite.
C and D is known for their burley blends, I would suggest take a look at their flavor profiles and reviews and see if anything stands out.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
I'd say avoid cavendish tobacco and go for VaPers, straight Virginias, or combinations of Virginias and other tobaccos (Orientals, Burleys, etc.).

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I've discovered over the years that I can't smoke anything with yellow, lemon or bright Virginia. They are all the same stuff. So I look for bends that specifically state they have Red Virginia. If the type of Virginia isn't specified I don't buy it. Seems to be working pretty well for me. It's rarer for anything to bite me now.

cardician

Lurker
Oct 28, 2012
I would recommend you try Iwan Ries' "Banner Lite". Last Christmas I was stocking up on all my favorites and a gentleman there suggested I try Banner Lite and threw a packet in my order free of charge as I was buying a whole bunch of other stuff. Not only was this a generous gesture but the tobacco turned out to be fabulous. It is cut perfectly for easy packing and smooth smoking. Every aspect of this blend is terrific but most amazingly you cannot get this stuff to bite !!!! I love it! - You might too !!
Cardician

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
Frog Morton on the Bayou. It was recommended to me as a first smoke and did not dissapoint. 8 months later and it is still in my regular rotation. Smooth smooth smooth.
j/B

cajunplume

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2011
thanks for all the advice. I new i was going to get hit with "slow down"! I do tend to smoke fast. I know this. I guess i should have been more specific. Any suggestions on tobaccos that allow you to smoke fast without scolding your mouth, was what i should have posted. i thank you guys that did recommend some tobaccos. It looks like i have enough information to go off of. THANKS!

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Newer guys that don't hang at B&M's, I feel for you. Unless you grew up with a pipe smoker in the family, you probably have no idea. Maybe watch some old movies with pipe smokers in them, like Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House, or one of the many others. You won't see men puffing on pipes like cigars or cigs, and I would even argue that most men smoke cigars too fast also
Interesting post Cosmic, as always.
My pipe mentors all came from the media. When I first started smoking I watched youtube videos. While one or two of the folks seemed to smoke at a decent pace, the majority seem like they're communicating to each other by smoke signals. Huge wizard like clouds of smoke.
Movies are largely the same. With the Rathbone Holmes series as potentially the worst example. Those guys would fill half a frame with smoke just lighting a pipe. That said, if you watch carefully, you can actually learn how to properly load a pipe. Anything they do, other then lighting a pipe for dramatic effect seems to be insightful.
I haven't seen Mr Blanding since I've smoked. I'll check it out again.
Are there any other examples of excellent technique in the media, rather than cinematic pyrotechnics?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Any suggestions on tobaccos that allow you to smoke fast without scolding your mouth
No ... quit smoking fast. :wink:
However, again, Carter Hall (or PA for perlasca :) )
Also ... Latakia blends can be a little more forgiving to the puffer.
The Frog Morton Series recommended by JB is a good place to start.
... examples without pyrotechnics ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o8Sfg6EH9k

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Cosmic, as usual has some great advice and I'd also agree with some others on the subject of overly hydrated tobacco. Steam is your enemy and an aggressive cadence coupled with steam will blister your tongue. Take a break and let it heal and the next time you are ready to load a pipe, let your tobacco sit out for some time to dry out a bit. If you grab and squeeze a pinch of leaf and let it go it should all seperate and trickle from your grip. If it stays clumped, it's too damp and will give you problems. One thing to remember, you can't un-hydrate tobacco once you light the bowl, you CAN re-hydrate an otherwise too dry bowlful by simply exhaling over the bowl and out through the bit. The condensation in your breath is enough to add just enough hydration.

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
What a pleasant video, CobGuy. It was a joy listening to the gentleman share his passion.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
A great vid and I couldn't help but to wonder how many time pieces he has going at once in his den! I was expecting a bomb to blow with all that ticking!
His tecnique is very similar to what I employ generally, especially if I'm doing nothing but relaxing in a seated or reclined position. Big, billowing plumes of pipe smoke is not the desired effect when you really want to enjoy your pipe. I find there's a sublime, Nirvanna type line you can tip toe on as you barely keep the ember going. I'm still learning as I go and I'm finding myself employing the pipe nail more than the lighter which I believe is the prime objective.

Status
Not open for further replies.