PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
This is mine. Got a monetary gift and decided on tobacco. Brigaid Campaign Dark Flake (7), Dan Tobacco Patriot Flake (7), Capstan Blue (5), Escudo (3), McClellands St. james Woods 100g (1), McClellands Dark Star 100g (1), McClellands Navy Cavendish 100g (1), Solani Virginia Flake with Perique (1), Solani Aged Burlwy Flake (1), GL Pease Fillmore (1), and Fribourg and Treyers Vintage Flake (1). Now what to open first? How about you guys what is the biggest Tad order you have ever made?

imagejpg1_zps786ae9c8.jpg

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I admit to being a bit on the "thrifty" side. I think my biggest tobacco purchase ever was around $150. Definitely less than $200. Looks like you eclipsed that pretty easily there. :mrgreen:
Have you guys ever noticed how durable fleece jackets are? The one I bought in 1995 during my sophomore year of college is good as new I tell you.
Can't wait to see the other responses.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
This is why I can never get Patriot Flake or the Wessex blend. LOL

I don't think I've ever ordered more than 6-7 tins in one order. I usually keep my orders around $50 to $70 as to not upset the wife to much. :mrgreen:

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Haha yeah you got to jump on some blends when you can. Up till now I only had a couple Patriots in the cellar. It is a very good flake. And I am almost to my goal with Brigaid. This order put me over the 20 lb mark for my cellar. But like you metalheadcigarguy. I normally have to save and scrounge enough to make a respectable order.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
I tend to group orders in the $150-$200 range. That's no more than a single box of half decent cigars. The only reason it seems like so much is because the value for money of pipe tobacco is still excellent today.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I spent just over a $100 ONCE when I bought a few tins, a couple bulks and a bunch of cigars. Happy Birthday to myself.

kanada

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
Dollars? $140...that was for 4 tins + customs

Tins? 10
I wish I could buy large amounts but the fear of customs keeps me away from anything bigger than 4 tins at a time for the most part

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a nibbler about buying tobacco, and even so, I have accumulated quite a stash of tins and jars. I'm not sure

I've ever topped $50, but I buy a tin or bag pretty often. I think my inclination to try this or that roves so much,

I know not to over-committ. But the cellars of others do inspire. I think some remnant of Scottish ancestry has

me always feigning thrift by buying a tin or three at a time.

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
I tend to do 150 -200 / month since I started last year - I like free shipping , I have collected 32 lbs in the cellar in 10 months and I will keep it up as long as the prices stay low.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I think some remnant of Scottish ancestry has

me always feigning thrift by buying a tin or three at a time.
My Scottish ancestry seems to fade way into the background when it comes to TAD/PAD.
However, the fact that I'm not a US resident creates a more serious problem -
I wish I could buy large amounts but the fear of customs keeps me away from anything bigger than 4 tins at a time for the most part
There is a 200 gram limit in Mexico which means 4 tins tops.
My last order was C&D Bayou Morning Flake, Frog Morton, Frog Morton Across the Pond and Frog Morton on the Bayou

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I only started the pipe last May, but I've picked up several blends since. I HOPE my TAD will abate and I can just maintain a 'reasonable' amount and variety.

That knife special from P&C, plus the really great deal on 5 tins selected from 5 rows of some very quality blends, and a Newminster's deal got me to fill in the order with some Codger (SWR) and some BOR..shoot, I can't remember how much that order was, but, I don't expect to do that again real soon. I had already laid in some VaPa to age...Escudo and OGS the week before and had already acquired a lot more of the backy's regularly discussed.

I think I've been pretty aggressive in my procurement of both pipes AND tobacco, bordering on mania and plan to cool my jets and take stock of my rate of consumption before I get carried away with buying stuff.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Well, not so much bought, but some of you new guys may not have seen the awesome pic of how much I was GIVEN a few months ago - all these unsmoked pipes, too. My brother-in-law has already taken about a third of it, and there's another box in the other room, and some tins on the right that didn't fit in the pic, so...this is maybe 60% of the pipes and tobacco I got in a single surprise drive-by. Plus all the labeled jars and tubs. Try figuring out the dollar amount on that!
IMG_2196_zps18b6e531.jpg

Guy on the forums I didn't know was giving up smoking, said show up and you could have his stuff; I was the only one to show up. There's bags of pipe cleaners in the closet, lighters, filters, just insanity. And before you ask me to send you a bit for Christmas, I've already given away about 75-80% so am smoking the rest, sorry!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
25 Condor Plugs in one hit but only 2/3rd's were for me and the rest for Mr. Lowercase and I think I purchased about 8 pounds of Condor once whilst in Spain but that was a few years ago.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Pricewise? Either the single tin of Escudo that I bought in Washington State for about 3x what I would have paid online, or the $35 I spent on a Hearth & Home sampler plus a tin of Black House that I bought when I first started. I don't have the budget for much more than that, normally.
Sizewise, it would have to be the tubs of Prince Albert and Sugar Barrel that I bought and jarred - inexpensive, but rather a lot of tobacco all at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.