The Big Nor'easter

(65 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by skrapsoftobacco
  • Latest reply from brian64
  1. skraps

skrapsoftobacco

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm sure everyone has heard about it on the news. This one is lining up to be a monster storm up and down the east coast. Curious which of our brothers are in its path, and what your plans are for the big event?

"People are not made better by a briar. An idiot before smoking a pipe is still an idiot after smoking a pipe, they're just more likely to speak less drivel with something in their mouth. For that, all society should be grateful."

- Bob Runowski
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

sthbkr77

Login to Send PM

I'm in Baltimore City and it looks like we can expect 12-20 inches minimum. Winter gear all ready, kids excited, sleds standing by. I'll most likely have a cob clenched filled with something substantial like 10 Russians or Gaslight for shoveling and walking around (if possible). A cigar may be in order but it may explode with the climate shock outside it's cozy humidor. Stay safe everyone.

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The effected area, according to the weather models, is shrinking, as are the total accumulations. I'm ready for anything, but not expecting much. Forecasts have us (Quakertown, PA - An hour north of Philadelphia) at 5-24" right now. If we get 3", it will be nice.

My dogs are ready, too:

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. skraps

skrapsoftobacco

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Last I heard it's 12-16 in. through the Philly metro area. We will see. Our weather forecasters are masters of fear mongering. I count the accumulation when it's done falling.

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We've got a strange combination of tornadoes today with ice storms over night, which the forecasters have labelled "icenadoes!"

Michael
    Posted 3 years ago #
  6. derfatdutchman

derfatdutchman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Calling for 6 to 12 inches here in the Pocono's. Have the essential ready, tobacco, pipe, matches and a snow shovel!

"The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess, and there is no chance of getting more."
    Bismark
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. dustmite

dustmite

Login to Send PM

Hope everyone in the path of this storm is well stocked with milk, bread, eggs and toilet paper... Can't have snow without over buying those items!

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You guys should have a quinzhee building contest. That's what we do up here.

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

sthbkr77

Login to Send PM

You guys should have a quinzhee building contest. That's what we do up here.

My older son loves building these. This year we can get the younger one involved.

"Boys, go build Dad an ice man cave"

I'll see you guys in the springtime when they thaw me out.

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. skraps

skrapsoftobacco

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

which the forecasters have labelled "icenadoes!"

That sounds better than "Sharknados"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2724064/

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hardly counts as a storm in the Maritimes LOL, a pretty good snowfall for sure.

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hope everyone in the path of this storm is well stocked with milk, bread, eggs and toilet paper... Can't have snow without over buying those items!

Apparently everyone who's snowed in makes French Toast. Well aside from the TP, that's for later.

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  13. indianafrank

indianafrank

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm in upstate NY. Just another winter day. I have my pipes, Port wine, Bourbon, Scotch, and a bottle of Moonshine for the ready.

I don't know where I'm going...but sooner or later I'll get there.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  14. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The forecast models are wavering like a presidential candidate. I've seen projections from 6" to 26" today. Only one thing to do: Tune up the snowblower, turn up the heat in the garage, and have some War Horse ready to go with a snifter of...

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. skraps

skrapsoftobacco

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm in upstate NY. Just another winter day

Yep, born and raised a Buffalo boy. I chuckle when I see the lines at the grocery store down here in Philly. Bunch of wussies.

Dan, the Double Oaked is one of my favorites. Having only ever had the regular, I picked up a bottle last year. Damn fine stuff. Dangerous to keep in the house though. It don't last long.

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. indianafrank

indianafrank

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep, born and raised a Buffalo boy. I chuckle when I see the lines at the grocery store down here in Philly. Bunch of wussies.

My son is now living in the D.C. area. He called me today and told me people down there are freaking out.

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm in beautiful balmy N.C. Trouble is, we do get winter precipitation. The snow's kind of pretty, usually not too deep, and doesn't last long. What bedevils us is ice. It makes the road crazy unsafe because, if you can drive, many can't. But more important, because these events happen two or three times year, we can't justify the battalions of trucks and ploughs, salt and sand, that are standard in snowy places. Some, but not quantum numbers. The ice makes the trees fall on power lines and we get power outages. The frosting is, I have a steep and shady driveway that is last to melt in the whole southeast, or so it seems. I just went out with a 40 pound bag of rock salt and a tomato can and spread it all over the driveway hill. We shall see if this helps. I moved my wife's car down to the street, in case that is clear before my driveway. The big event for us is Friday, but we get a second treatment of probably snow on Saturday. We'll see if the salt does any good. Luckily, in the one sense, my wife is in nursing care after big orthopedic surgery, so she can sit out any trouble on the home front. Comparatively, we barely have any winter. However, when we do, it's trouble. Just didn't want you to think I'm sipping bourbon on the porch. I did just enjoy a bowl of GLP Westminster in a Nording freehand to rest after the rock salt chore. If you don't see any posts from me, I probably have no power. If you see a lot of posts, I'm hunkered down and hoping for the best.

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The interstates can be highly entertaining in VA and the DC area when the temps drop or a wee bit of snow falls. I love the look on peoples faces as they do a 360, foot firmly on the brakes, wheels locked, knuckles white and eyes like saucers as they watch the panorama pass in front of the windshield.

First snow up here results in the same I will admit.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  19. texmexpipe

texmexpipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm in the southern tier of NY, only a few inches expected here. I like Woodsroad's plan!

Procrastinate Later. - I'll say this one day!
    Posted 3 years ago #
  20. gloucesterman

gloucesterman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Last year it was us up here in the Boston area. 106 inches worth in about 45 days. Looks like we miss this one. Predictions say a light dusting.

Posted 3 years ago #
  21. skraps

skrapsoftobacco

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As far as I'm concerned, it's a month late. I would have liked a bit of snow for Christmas, had it all melt by New Year and then not seen it for the rest of the year.

Mother Nature needs to get her s**t together.

Posted 3 years ago #
  22. brudnod

Spencer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great Falls Virginia sounds like we should be able to take about anything but it is just outside of DC and as already been pointed out, the DC sort are not very tolerant of precipitation of any kind. They are calling for 12-24 inches of snow and admittedly, that is a bit more than just routine. Unfortunately, I will be stranded in the hospital all weekend. On the flip side my grown kids and wife will be dealing with the snow accumulation. Sadly, I cannot smoke at the hospital...

Posted 3 years ago #
  23. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So far, so good with the electric power, keeping my fingers crossed. You might have known from my jabbering posts. Freezing rain here in central N.C. through tonight and no appreciable warming until Sunday. Then the melt-off can be pretty slow in shady residential areas. The main roads will be passable maybe late tomorrow, although still patchy with ice, but it may be late Sunday, with temperature in the 40's, before we see serious dry pavement. Virginia and D.C. are catching the heavy snow, and I think NYC is still expecting blizzard conditions. That's always tricky because there's no place to put the snow that's shoveled.

Spencer, best wishes with your hospital stay. I've just been through that with my wife -- significant orthopedic surgery. I slept on the hospital recliner and ate at the cafeteria. Speedy healing to you.

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I'm an hour North of DC, we're expecting 18-20" here. If DC gets 24", it will be a disaster.
    My snow blower is fired up and ready. New M&S truck tires on the wife's Silverado (last year, it had 20" SUV tires...not great in snow). We'll be tooling around later, probably clearing driveways from local relatives.

Al

Posted 3 years ago #
  25. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

26. prairiedruid

prairiedruid

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hope everyone is home and stay safe. Being a life long Minnesotan with blizzards like these best to be home with a good fire, book, and pipe.

Posted 3 years ago #
  27. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's just after 4 p.m. and already looks like it's getting dark. I was enjoying the longer daylight, so I don't like the looks of it. No precip' for now, and that's good. Supposedly, we'll get a dusting of snow tomorrow, and that should be it for a while. I never get elated until I see some sunshine.

Posted 3 years ago #
  28. brudnod

Spencer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ha ha, Mike, thanks for the sentiment but I meant that I am WORKING in the hospital this weekend until someone can come to relieve me AND I can get back into my neighborhood; probably be Monday at best. Last time this happened (Snomageden) I was here for 5 days. I have plenty of patients to keep me busy and brought some stuff to do. I do appreciate the thought.

Posted 3 years ago #
  29. snowyowl

snowyowl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

LJPeretti's in Boston is having a storm special!

Online only, take 15% off your order... while it's snowing, no matter the depth or you location.

http://www.ljperetti.com/
    Code:
    iloveperetti

"If you see something... pipe up."
    Posted 3 years ago #
  30. coffinmaker

coffinmaker

Login to Send PM

Got the wife's shovel setting by the side door.

Posted 3 years ago #
  31. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just watching on CNN, I feel for you people that aren't used to this but it's kind of entertaining for us northerners in a twisted, funny sort of way. The reporters are hilarious

Posted 3 years ago #
  32. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Four or five power blink-outs this evening. Luckily, I had my supper heated, chili from the freezer. Sure hope we stay on the grid. Always been hard to know whether to get a generator, or if it would go to pot between uses. Some snow in surrounding cities, but none here, just a light layer, but plenty of ice under and on top of that. Rain pretty much freezes on hitting the ground or trees. Pretty cold, twenties, for this area.

Spencer ... oops, thought you were a patient. Take it easy; sounds like a long shift there.

Posted 3 years ago #
  33. dustmite

dustmite

Login to Send PM

Snow started in Schuylkill county, PA. We're forcast for 6-10.

Posted 3 years ago #
  34. derfatdutchman

derfatdutchman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think the storm moved a little further north than the models predicted. The Pocono area just got put under a blizzard warning until 3 am. It's all good though suppers cooking in the crock pot, fireplace is burning and the coffee is on. Now just need to fire up a bowl and watch the flames! Stay safe.

Posted 3 years ago #
  35. skraps

skrapsoftobacco

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Started last night here in Philly. We were out and get a decent amount by the time we drove home. Got a decent amount overnight, but we are getting a good wallop now. Cleaned off the Jeep earlier and drove over to the store. All those dummies that waited in lines yesterday should have went today... not a soul in the store, lol.

Hunkering down for the rest of the day most likely. Plenty of tobacco, coffee and booze.

Posted 3 years ago #
  36. indianafrank

indianafrank

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm in the southern tier of NY, only a few inches expected here

I am half hour below Syracuse. Not much snow at all. Just colder than a witches...

I think the storm moved a little further north than the models predicted.

If it did move a bit further north, then it bypassed our area. We're north of NYC.

Posted 3 years ago #
  37. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

At 8 AM on Saturday, I measured 18" in our driveway (about 36" near the house, drifting). After blowing that clear, we've gotten another 6" here in Maryland. It's still snowing like mad and they say another 6-7 hours of snow. At that rate, we'll be over 30". I had snow blower problems, my gas cap wasn't letting gas flow, I wasted an hour tracking down that issue (I need a new gas cap- but just drilled a vent hold in the top for now). It's been over a decade since we've had a snow like this in one shot.

Posted 3 years ago #
  38. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here's the view at The Standard Tobacco Company of Pennsylvania's world headquarters

(That's my driveway on the left, not the street)

Posted 3 years ago #
  39. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We're getting a final dusting of snow on top of a pretty intimidating sheet of ice. Now its a long wait for the temperatures to rise and the arctic sheets to slowly melt, off my steeply sloped drive and shady lot. We may get a little melting tomorrow, but it may be Monday before we see some patches of pavement. Easy by snow country standards, but not so easy where we're less equipped to fight it.

Posted 3 years ago #
  40. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Take care, sir. I hate ice. We didn't get any on this one.

Posted 3 years ago #
  41. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Any updates? How's everyone making out?

Posted 3 years ago #
  42. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

32" as of 9:00 PM at the airport in Allentown, which is 2 miles from our house.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  43. derfatdutchman

derfatdutchman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

18 inches in the Pocono's. I'll start digging us out in the morning.

Posted 3 years ago #
  44. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

32" wow! Makes for a lot of work afterwards but even though I lived my entire life with storms like this it's still kind of exciting. If it's a big snowfall sometimes the wife and I'll take the truck for a drive into town, the streets almost empty and just cruise around.

Posted 3 years ago #
  45. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Right at 32" here in Maryland. My driveway is clear, but our road hasn't been touched. I think that even our 4X4 Silverado might struggle out there. The good news is no power failures.

The Governor of Maryland closed I-70 and I-270 last night. The news shows 270 (Main artery to the DC Beltway) just reopened. I'm guessing not much is open here.

I have to go out and remove the last couple of inches of snow from the driveway and walk. Other than that, Championship football for me.

It was in the single digits last night, but we're expecting a sunny day, so that should help unfreeze the area.

Posted 3 years ago #
  46. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

The view from our bedroom. Just across the Potomac (about 2 miles away), Shepherdstown WV is reporting 40.5" of snow, a record.

And our covered patio, where I enjoy a nice pipe in the summer.

Grabbed this off our local newspaper web site, haven't seen a paper for a couple of days...(we're in that Clearspring area).

Posted 3 years ago #
  47. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's amazing, not often you see that amount down there. They never close highways up here.

Posted 3 years ago #
  48. skraps

skrapsoftobacco

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think our final snowfall totals here in Philly were around 20 in. Biggest issues were wind and drifting and the city not being able to clear streets effectively.

All over now. Clear skies and brilliantly sunny today. Should be in the 40's and melting by Tuesday.

Posted 3 years ago #
  49. conlejm

conlejm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for taking a bullet for us up here in the northeast. We got nary a flake of snow from the storm up here in NH. Normally we see several of those big storms here each winter. I do not like them at all.

Posted 3 years ago #
  50. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Damn, that's some awe inspiring snow depth, if you aren't a native of Buffalo, Minnesota, the Dakotas, or Canada. Now I just have to watch the ice sheet slowly melt. It's deceptively innocuous looking. A few friends who've broken bones in winter weather over the years, it is always after the first good melt or two, just some peevish little ice patch they didn't see. Humility before the ice gods is important. Also, watch your dog wrapping the leash around you on poor footing. Dogs have four wheel drive and aren't too concerned about it, no harm intended.

Posted 3 years ago #
  51. derfatdutchman

derfatdutchman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Finally done digging out, measured 18 inches in the driveway. The old snowblower got a real workout, can't remember the last snow I had where it was higher than the intake. Then we drove over and dug my parents out.

Posted 3 years ago #
  52. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 3 years ago #
  53. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

And we are out. No county snow plows yet, but a neighbor with a front-end-loaded John Deere did our street & cul-de-sac. We took the truck out to check on my parent and check the lot of one of our restaurants (closed). It is all just one-lane open on all the secondary roads, with fools in cars getting stuck, we we didn't stay out long. The sun is shining and we're getting a nice melt at 37 degrees.

Posted 3 years ago #
  54. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great photo. Reminds me of my days of yore!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  55. dustmite

dustmite

Login to Send PM

Well, 3 hours of shoveling, a sore back and a pulled muscle in my torso and I'm ready to go to work tomorrow... Still can't measure how much we actually got because of the drifting, but it was at least 2 feet.

Posted 3 years ago #
  56. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Reminds me of my childhood in Upstate New York. We lived in sticksville, middle of nowhere. Closest actual city would have been Rome. I've lived in the southern Arizona desert for so long now, I don't what I'd do if I saw more than a dusting of the white stuff! You guys stay safe in the icy aftermath of this guy.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  57. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Guys:

2nd Lt. Ben Fnord, stationed at USMC Base: Quantico shoveled 27 inches, per directive, to clear way to parking lot and points thereafter late last night. Quantico has been declared a "Code Red - Base Closed" and I was surprised that after "A Few Good Men" anybody in the Corps would be allowed to use that phrase again.

"Food and beer situation after the snow-in?"

"All good, Pops. I've got a 40 left and pizza. The road to Stafford should be open tonight.

Rest well, America.

Fnord

It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says - like dumb - I'm smart and I want respect!
    Fredo Corleone
    Posted 3 years ago #
  58. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I made two passes with the snowblower, one at the midpoint of the storm on Saturday morning, the next after it was all over, on Sunday morning. All told, about 2' of medium-density snow. Sun was out, no wind this morning. It was 14º, but felt a lot warmer as I walked the dogs. Beavers had poked a hole through the ice in a deep spot on the stream in the next valley, and the roads had already warmed up enough that the slush had started to melt.

I love snow storms, especially since I no longer have to go out and make pictures of them for the newspaper. This was certainly one to remember.

Posted 3 years ago #
  59. okiescout

okiescout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Dear Al Gore"

Yeah but it made him rich, dude! The facts are why he had to change it from "global warming" to "climate change". Don't cha just love real science.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years. Pray as if you were to die tomorrow."
    Benjamin Franklin
    Posted 3 years ago #
  60. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We were fortunate that the big storm, an ice storm in these parts, hit at a relatively opportune time. My wife had had orthopedic surgery and then went to assisted care to heal and get p.t. and o.t. and more continual care than I could give her at home. Luckily, she'd moved from the hospital to assisted care before the biggie hit. I'm moving her home tomorrow, and today I moved much of her clothing, gear, books and a wheelchair back home, just in time that the ice had melted enough so I could get the car up the driveway on some dry pavement, just barely. Going down, the car side-slid a little. If it stays above freezing, tomorrow should be passable, although rain is expected. When we scheduled the surgery for November -- later to be rescheduled in January -- I said, just don't get us into the ice season. Right. But I'm not complaining. Somehow it worked.

Posted 3 years ago #
  61. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Co2 is lighter than air, ssshhhhh don't tell Al.

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 3 years ago #
  62. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just sayin ...

Glad everyone made it through ok, we've had beautiful weather up here. Snow is almost gone and temps above freezing forcast all week.

Posted 3 years ago #
  63. simong

simong

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Glad to see all you lot have battled through it & are safe & sound. Here in England were having a miserable winter as well you know. No snow of course, but a few too many showers of rain for my liking. Why, this morning whilst taking the dog for a walk I had to don both ones tweed hat & a Mac! Still, musn't grumble I suppose.

Posted 3 years ago #
  64. okiescout

okiescout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds like a good time to be at the pub, eh Simong?

Posted 3 years ago #
  65. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't cha just love real science.

Yeah, it's amazing how even when blatant fraud is exposed, no one ever seems to be held accountable for it...and the propaganda just continues unabated.

Climategate: the final nail in the coffin of 'Anthropogenic Global Warming'?

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100017393/climategate-the-final-nail-in-the-coffin-of-anthropogenic-global-warming/

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jdhowe75, mikethompson, olkofri, supdog, railman, jaytex969, alaskanpiper, jojoc, laniromee, ray47, oldgeezersmoker