PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

koshersmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2012
I am getting more and more into smoking my pipes, and have read all the wonderful posts about all the different blends that everybody smokes. As of now i have been ordering tobacco drectly from the manufacturer. I have noticed a couple of sites on here that sell all different kinds and brands but i havent realy checked them out. Im just wondering what the best deals are and where are some of the better places to get brands like C&D and GL Pease and all the other popular brands that people here smoke. IDK what the shelf life of tobacco products are and if it makes a difference if it is fresh off the line or not. I dont know if its like home brew suplies the more a business turns around the fresher the products are and the better your beer will be because the ingredients are the freshest they can be. I have read about aging in jars and in the tin, and all that i have read here and online makes sense so i dont know if i should worry so much about age or what. I just want to get the best price and dont want to over pay for something i can get some where else for a few bucks cheaper. Help me out if you can, and let me know what some of you guys do.

Jul 15, 2011
I hope nobody kicks me in the shins here, but I have found that price wise, pipesandcigars.com has a slight edge over all the competitors in terms of price on C&D and GL Pease tins. It's not cheaper by a huge margin, mind you, but you might save $.75 to a buck. On the other hand, pipesandcigars.com does a lot of business, and they don't always have the tins you might want. Smokingpipes.com offers reasonable prices on tins, and in some cases they can either be a little higher or maybe a little lower, depending on which brand you get, but in many cases a lot of their tins are priced competitively. Both companies offer outstanding customer service, shipping speed, and stand behind their product 100%. If you can't find what you're looking for at either site, which I would venture to say is almost impossible, you could try out another site like 4Noggins or Cup O' Joes and see what is available. As far as tobacco having shelf life, you can either smoke it fresh off the line or let it age for a while, it all just depends on personal taste. Some tobaccos taste better after they have aged for a while, and some will taste the same whether fresh off the line or aged for a few months. In any case, good luck with your venture, and welcome to the forum!

koshersmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2012
Hey man thanks alot, ill take all the info i can. Its nice to have a bunch of like minded people to talk to about their experiences, and learn from their vast wealth of knowledge that come from those experiences.

Jul 15, 2011
No problem. The amount of knowledge on here gets a little dizzying at times, but smoking a pipe is like riding a bicycle, you just have to do it for a while to get the hang of it. Never be afraid to ask questions if you're stuck on something or are curious about a particular tobacco type, pipe, or anything else. The only stupid question is one that goes unasked.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I wish I could say something but I think everything was said. If you live in a place where the taxes don't kill you then you might want to check locally. You can save on shipping and usually the guy behind the counter can suggest some good stuff.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Any of the site's sponsors are reputable but I use pipesandcigars.com most of the time. Free shipping over $100 in the lower 48 and P&C has all of my favorite blends. So far, it's also the cheapest place to buy bulk blending tobaccos that I've seen. The blending tobaccos are a good idea to try if you want to see what individual types, such as Latakia, Perique and Oriental do for you. If there's one you want that's not on the website, just call them and they will help get it for you. Excellent customer service, too.

kodos44

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2012
I've used smokingpipes.com, 4noggins.com, pipesandcigars.com and cupojoes.com. They are all great sites. Do some researching on those sites for what you want. If you have any questions call them up. I've spoken to someone at all of those businesses and have never had a negative experience. I have been turned on to some things that way that I normally may not have tried otherwise. I'm a sucker for something new tho. Welcome to the adventure and good luck!
Scott

bigbehr

Lurker
Apr 10, 2012
I also use Mars Cigars. Great service and usally get a free pipe cleaners. Otherwise all the others mentioned are great!

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I'm pretty sure pipesandcigars.com is just a bit cheaper than the rest when it comes to bulk blends. I'm getting ready to make an order for some 1Q and blue note with them. I'm considering dropping a cool hundred though to get that free shipping, and to try a few things I've been looking at. Especially that Moontrance and Black House.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
A bit off topic but, daytonsean, if you're interested in Black House then I highly recommend Magum Opus. I've had both and, personally, like MO much more. Just a thought.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
And to Roth i do suppose that makes sense. Good call on just checking the price. I guess the stuff im looking at ordering has just been cheaper.

zirbengeist

Lurker
Aug 22, 2012
I am not sure if any other Canadian member feels the same but I have found that P&C has a steep international shipping fee ($30 CDN). That being said they have excellent customer service and it was the only online retailer that could exactly ship my tin needs. They had stock on exactly what I wanted and even with the fees it was cheaper than a B&M.
I did contact our sponsors and their shipping is cheaper so I think my next TAD order will be from 4noggins or smoking pipes.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I place most of my orders with Pipes and Cigars. Their prices are good, and they ship quickly. Other times, I buy from places that have other things I need--like when I'm restocking pipe cleaners, softy bits, etc--to save on shipping. But between P&C and our sponsors, you can't go wrong.
Like Jud said, comparison shop. There are always more TAD months to try new shops. :puffpipe:

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
a place where the taxes don't kill you
Here in Anchorage it's not the Alaska 75% tax on wholesale price that kills, it's the greed of the retailer who'll mark up 300% on the wholesale price, the excise tax, and the shipping ( even though they quantity order and get free or almost free freight ).
Back to OT, I prefer Smoking Pipes because of shipping cost. Somehow P&C seems to charge a lot more for the same Priority Mail Flat Rate Large Box. And, if I order over $100 I can get it freight postpaid from Richard at 4noggins.

Being in Alaska, I don't get the "free UPS" over $100. I've yet to try CupOJoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.