PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
One of my favorites but it never tasted so good till I bought this.

DSC_0491_zpsc63109a1.jpg

However!!! Once I got down to the last third I started to get that horrible stain taste. This is a silver spigot POY for 2003. Surely they would have given a little extra effort to keep that skanky crap out of the chamber. There wasn't a drop in the shank area so I thought I was good to go. I've got it almost cleaned out but I should never had to do that. Ok rant over. I've smoked other flakes in it and they taste outstanding as well so it's a keeper.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I have come to that conclusion as well. This will be the last Pete I buy. I've always loved their shapes and classic lines but no more nasty stain gunk.

docspipe

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2014
I never have had the problem with tasting the stain while smoking any of my Peterson's. Out of the 6 that I own, 3 were new, and 3 were estate from Smokingpipes.com. I do like the classic shapes, but I find them a bit on the heavy side and take longest time to break in for that sweet spot out of all the pipe brands I own. Once there, they are great smokers for me. Also, I'm not a fan of their P-lip at all...I only have one of them, a sandblast tankard, and only because they don't offer that style in fishmouth.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have that same Peterson, a 2003 POY. Honestly do not like smoking mine either. But I bought a Ropp Vintage Billiard from Smokingpipes.com that is smoking rings around it. I don't like BC pipes at all, but that Ropp is becoming one of my favorites. Not all French made pipes are created equal, apparently. Or Irish ones either!

Oct 12, 2014
I have 3 Butz-Choquin pipes ALL of them smoked great from the first bowl! I wouldn't write off French pipes... I think BC's offer one of the best bang for the buck out there.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I have that same Peterson, a 2003 POY. Honestly do not like smoking mine either
I really like smoking the first 2/3 of the bowl but that last third is horrid. Since the majority of the smoke is delicious I'll keep it but I think I'm done with Peterson.

May 31, 2012
I hereby praise French pipes, their briar and engineering.
I've been hounding the webs in search of early French allbriar pipes, as well as the "sports" nosewarmer billiards, of which they made many.
I have a Genod allbriar of recent make that is one of my best smokers, uncoated bowl and deep yumminess!
:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.